• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Decline of the Liberal Party- Swerved Into a Confederation Topic

So replace the all part advisory board made up of elected (and theoretically accountable) MPs with an advisory board from the unaccountable all party Senators?

The Senate is a bit less accountable/transparent than HoC so not sure how that will be an improvement.

Honestly think the current advisory board does a pretty good job, our judiciary similarly does a good job at keeping whatever political leanings they have out of their decisions.

It's OK, our national policies have already been hijacked by several unelected, unaccountable, self-appointed international organizations that have been roundly criticized (for decades) for their ineffectiveness and borderline criminality.

Here's just two.... off the top of my head....

UNDRIP:

The Paris Climate Agreement:

It's OK, our national policies have already been hijacked by several unelected, unaccountable, self-appointed international organizations that have been roundly criticized (for decades) for their ineffectiveness and borderline criminality.

Here's just two.... off the top of my head....

UNDRIP:

The Paris Climate Agreement:
Well, not really, none of those commitments mean anything until they get implemented by legislation, and it's still entirely within Canada's decision in how they meet it. The UN can just scold us if they don't like it, and can otherwise be ignored with no consequence.

The current independent advisory board is working well, and is an actual useful function being performed by MPs, so I would think we would want to actively encourage that and hope it's catching.

Well, not really, none of those commitments mean anything until they get implemented by legislation, and it's still entirely within Canada's decision in how they meet it. The UN can just scold us if they don't like it, and can otherwise be ignored with no consequence.

The current independent advisory board is working well, and is an actual useful function being performed by MPs, so I would think we would want to actively encourage that and hope it's catching.

Like in BC?

I wasn't sure where this should go. Mods can move if required. Black and Rex destroy the liberal and NDP narrative and point fingers exactly where they should be pointed. They lay out some of the policies and idiocy that are plaguing us and other countries. Stopping us from prospering and moving ahead technologically, education and puts a dagger in the heart of today's legacy media. Much of what they discuss, is also in this thread. It's about an hour and a half, and well worth the watch if you think we are going to hell in a handbasket. They explain why.

The Govermnent will. They are taking on the debt so we don’t have to.

Wait What Instinct GIF by CBS

It's terrible news. Why should the taxpayer make gifts to people who are the most likely to have a high lifetime earning potential? There's no magic wall between money students spend on education expenses and money spent on liquor, cell phones, etc.

I don't agree with free post secondary education, but I also don't think 21 year old's should be starting out life 6 figures in debt, because they tried to make a good choice.

Part of the fix could be looking at what actually needs to be a university degree IMHO. Medical/Dental, Law and Engineering that should pretty much be it.

Not from a bank. Someone has to pay the interest.
I thought they said federal student loans? I am pretty sure those loans are not bank loans. And it’s only the the federal portion of interest that is being eliminated. (The loans are jointly funded by fed and prov funding).

This is a good thing even on a good day. It’s isn’t free tuition nor is it debt forgiveness. But it will help a bit for those servicing debt to government.

I thought they said federal student loans? I am pretty sure those loans are not bank loans. And it’s only the the federal portion of interest that is being eliminated. (The loans are jointly funded by fed and prov funding).

This is a good thing even on a good day. It’s isn’t free tuition nor is it debt forgiveness. But it will help a bit for those servicing debt to government.
The Gov't of Canada is running multi-billion dollar deficits for as long as anyone can imagine. Most of what it spends is funded by loans and all those loans (bonds) have interest due.

The Gov't of Canada is running multi-billion dollar deficits for as long as anyone can imagine. Most of what it spends is funded by loans and all those loans (bonds) have interest due.
The sovereign debt burden in the West needs to be reigned in. It was fine when GDP growth was still outpacing the debt burden but that time is over.

The Debt Burden has actually been slowly creeping up everywhere since 2008 as Central Banks used historically low interest rates to stimulate economic growth.

The problem was, they had an opportunity to turn off the taps but they never did because people got addicted to cheap debt:

Americas_Debt_Shareable_V3.jpg

The US Government has been walking the tightest of margins since around 2012 when they should have been reigning in stimulus.

We have been doing the same in Canada but our situation is even more precarious because of our high levels of Household Debt:

US-Canada-household-debt-GDP-2019.png

They've just stopped talking about it at this point but it's gotten way worse during COVID. The HH Debt to GDP Ratio is now sitting at 181% in Canada:

The irony of all of this is that many of the current issues in the World: Ukraine, Taiwan, sabre rattling by OPEC+, Russia, China, etc. Is all basically a direct consequence of our economic weakness.

IMO, we've reached the point of decadence and our enemies see blood in the water and feel emboldened.

I am not hopeful for our future.

Back