• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

T4's and postings

Strike

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
I just got my T4s from last year and was wondering if anyone else had the same discrepancies.  I moved to Ontario from Nova Scotia in March and, when I got my T4s, the income in NS was much too high compared to ON, as if my time in each province had been reversed.

Has anyone else had this?

Also, who should I talk to about getting this error corrected, the OR?

Mine were fine, I went from Sask to NS in May. My Sask one is higher because I got my back pay while I was there.

When you add up the numbers, do they match your end Dec pay statement? Tax deducted, CPP, EI, RPP (superannuation). If they do then I wouldn't worry about it, you'll be filing Ontario so if you paid NS taxes longer, you'll just get a bigger refund. You could have paid NS taxes for 11 months but as long as you live in Ontario on the 31st of Dec, you file there and you'll pay Ontario tax for the whole year. If you want to check though, just ask the OR where you're paying taxes and where they have you as a resident. There's a page that will tell them that, it might have been a little slow getting changed in the system since it would have been done when you cleared into Pet and not when you cleared out of NS. I think for me it wasn't changed until my July pay, I cleared in in early June.

Strike said:
I just got my T4s from last year and was wondering if anyone else had the same discrepancies.  I moved to Ontario from Nova Scotia in March and, when I got my T4s, the income in NS was much too high compared to ON, as if my time in each province had been reversed.

Has anyone else had this?

Also, who should I talk to about getting this error corrected, the OR?

You will simply get more money back... when I moved from Ont to NS, I had to pay almost $1K. 
Everything should be fine next year.

Does the posting allowance still come without the tax deducted?  If so, don't get caught short.  I learned that one the hard way... :-[

PPCLI Guy said:
Does the posting allowance still come without the tax deducted?   If so, don't get caught short.   I learned that one the hard way... :-[

IRP will tax it now based on your Marginal tax rate, I used it to buy down my Mortgage rate and it was tax free so I'm not even sure if I'll get a T4 for it.

Inch said:
IRP will tax it now based on your Marginal tax rate, I used it to buy down my Mortgage rate and it was tax free so I'm not even sure if I'll get a T4 for it.

Thanks

Back