• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Swedish Army Videos

Kirkhill

Fair Scunnert
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
They are all in Swedish but the visuals are informative

Rangers (with english subtitles)

Arctic Light Infantry (Obviously, therefore, the Northlands Dragoons)

CB90 Marine

CV90 Crew Commander

CV90 Driver

Truckdriver

Couple more

Swedes flying "real" helicopters (@KevinB :LOL: )

And Swedes flying "homemade" fighters

Some how or other this video got replaced with the Amphibious video.

I think of all the videos it is the one most applicable to the Canadian situation.

Some how or other this video got replaced with the Amphibious video.

I think of all the videos it is the one most applicable to the Canadian situation.

Proper sized bergens ;)

A great video of the new CB90 HSM Combat Boat.

This one walks you over the deck from bow to stern then through the cabin and back out the landing ramp

I would truly love to see a couple of flotillas of these on the Mackenzie and Saskatchewan systems.

A great video of the new CB90 HSM Combat Boat.

This one walks you over the deck from bow to stern then through the cabin and back out the landing ramp

I would truly love to see a couple of flotillas of these on the Mackenzie and Saskatchewan systems.
They make good boats for Reservist/Rangers up there and could expand summer operating areas. If we are going to continue the fiddle with amphibious ops, a couple of these on each coast, would greatly increase that training value. Put the RWS in storage and replace it with some commercial optics and FLIRs. to keep the boat easily maintained by commercial shipyards/marine techs.

And another video of the Saab Battle Management System - a couple of scenarios.

A CB90 Video

The latter part of the video emphasizes that this boat is not revolutionary. It is, however, something of a standard setter.

It is primarily a tactical transport. A waterborne 3 tonne truck or MLVW.

It also talks about the advantages of many small, fast, agile transports versus large transports like Landing Ships. Assuming that it can get in amongst the islands - but it can be carried by trucks, planes and RoRo ferries.

A CB90 Video

The latter part of the video emphasizes that this boat is not revolutionary. It is, however, something of a standard setter.

It is primarily a tactical transport. A waterborne 3 tonne truck or MLVW.

It also talks about the advantages of many small, fast, agile transports versus large transports like Landing Ships. Assuming that it can get in amongst the islands - but it can be carried by trucks, planes and RoRo ferries.
I quite like these things. I'd need a sailor to let me know how viable they are for most of our coastal conditions, but I could see them very effective along the Pacific coast for sure and probably along much of the Atlantic.

It's range looks a little limited which might mean that some interesting logistics arrangements/support vessels etc.

I'm trying to get my head around whether for us it's a solution looking for a problem to solve.

🍻

I quite like these things. I'd need a sailor to let me know how viable they are for most of our coastal conditions, but I could see them very effective along the Pacific coast for sure and probably along much of the Atlantic.

It's range looks a little limited which might mean that some interesting logistics arrangements/support vessels etc.

I'm trying to get my head around whether for us it's a solution looking for a problem to solve.

🍻

I would add all the inland waterways. T-Bay to St. Anthony's and Yarmouth. The MacKenzie-Athabaska system. The Saskatchewan.

I would add all the inland waterways. T-Bay to St. Anthony's and Yarmouth. The MacKenzie-Athabaska system. The Saskatchewan.
Sure, but what reasonably foreseeable threat are we deploying it against?

🍻

Sure, but what reasonably foreseeable threat are we deploying it against?

🍻

What threats can be carried in a back pack?

Just presence patrols with small arms.

What threats can be carried in a back pack?

Just presence patrols with small arms.
No. I mean what are we contemplating? Chinese weather stations setting up on our shores? Mexican drug cartel advance bases? Taliban revenge suicide bombers landing on our shores? Gun smuggling gangs from Detroit? Rogue Amish from Cleveland bringing illegal cheese across Lake Erie? Cigarette smugglers across the St Lawrence? (The last one is actually real but do you want to involve the navy/army?)

I can't see a realistic threat that we need to have marine raiding forces to counter.

🍻

No. I mean what are we contemplating? Chinese weather stations setting up on our shores? Mexican drug cartel advance bases? Taliban revenge suicide bombers landing on our shores? Gun smuggling gangs from Detroit? Rogue Amish from Cleveland bringing illegal cheese across Lake Erie? Cigarette smugglers across the St Lawrence? (The last one is actually real but do you want to involve the navy/army?)

I can't see a realistic threat that we need to have marine raiding forces to counter.

🍻

How about RCMP and Coast Guard patrols with the ability to carry OGDs (CAF)?

🍻
These make a lot of sense for Sweden, where there are 270 000 islands in off Stockholm and in the straight very close to Russia's entrance to the Baltic. They patrol them fairly aggressively, like that one time a Russian sub grounded there and they claimed salvage rights, and basically got in a full war footing until the Russians pulled up. Their whole force seems to be designed to very quickly roll out, and none of the Scandianivians mess around. I think it is Norway that has a standing order to attack any unidentified sub in their territorial waters, and the Finns are just itching for it.

Stockholm Archipelago - Wikipedia

I don't know what we'd do with them, maybe up north in the summer? Bit different though as there is a very short run from Russian to the Swedish archipelago and all pretty close to their main areas, where we have entire oceans between all our coastal regions, and days away from any infrastructure. We'd be better off with bigger lift ships or something, if we actually took it seriously.

Work with all of them in a NATO WG on the naval side, their core sailors are really swept up and they are ramping up a lot of conscripts, and their sailors are better trained than ours for firefighting and damage control (not a knock on us, they just may be using some of the most advanced tactics out of any navy). I think they report their numbers differently though, they seem to have a lot of people in uniform that are more like public servants in DND, but they don't really count themselves as part of their military, and there is some kind of nuance when they talk about it I don't really get.

Back