• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

If I recall correctly, even on deployment to Afghanistan, you got the vest issued just before (and plates later than that), then returned everything right when after you got back.

I assumed (probably incorrectly) that the vest is pretty useless without the plates/kevlar, and that the plates/kevlar are controlled items...?

Then again, I've been trying to return my helmet for years.
When I released I couldn’t return my helmet.
It wasn’t on my docs apparently…

If I recall correctly, even on deployment to Afghanistan, you got the vest issued just before (and plates later than that), then returned everything right when after you got back.

I assumed (probably incorrectly) that the vest is pretty useless without the plates/kevlar, and that the plates/kevlar are controlled items...?

Then again, I've been trying to return my helmet for years.
For the last few years at least in RegF for combat arms you sign for one from your unit and don't turn it in till you leave said unit or not at all and take it to your next unit. Even in The PRes it's become much more common to get issued a frag for course or exercise ya know train as ya fight and all. And the soft armour stays with the vest.

For the last few years at least in RegF for combat arms you sign for one from your unit and don't turn it in till you leave said unit or not at all and take it to your next unit. Even in The PRes it's become much more common to get issued a frag for course or exercise ya know train as ya fight and all. And the soft armour stays with the vest.
I haven't looked at the SOIs in a while but it seems to be restricted to CMBG folks only along with a handful of other UICs

Note 3H essentially states that while on Land CJOC ops folks from RCN/RCAF will receive on temp basis

1664986037829.png

If anyone ever wants to see the most current or even older scales they are on DRMIS so find someone with DRMIS access. The OPIs within each environment (usually the G/N/A4 Supply at the L1) also usually have copies. Generally clothing stores also have them and/or access them on a regular basis.

TCode CV04N
Doc Type: MAD
Max Hits: 99999 (there are only 9kish records but better safe than sorry :) )
Description: scale designation or wildcard *.

Note you can just wild card * or you can wildcard with some filter EG: * 01301 will only return MAD docs that

You generally need the scale designation but you can wildcard the description with a * plus you'll need to extend the max number of hits (99999)

1664986980182.png

To get the latest one, add the from date to the report by clicking on current layout and bringing from date to the report and then sort

1664986771718.png

I tried to return stuff that hasn't been issued for years.
When I retired, 25+ years ago, I made an appointment to turn in my stuff at NDHQ clothing stores. I appeared with a kit bag and a couple of the those big, reusable, CF moving boxes. I told the NCO "I washed and cleaned everything ... but I'm not retuning my 'cups, enamel' or my 'ration bag' because I still use both (the ration bag for shaving gear when I travel) and I haven't seen my hold-all or sewing kit in decades. My wife is keeping my barrack box to store stuff she wants to give to her grandkids."

The nice corporal took out my envelope full of documents, tossed them in the trash, signed my clearance form and said, "enjoy your retirement, sir."

"What happens to all this stuff?" I asked.

She looked at it and said, "Sir, your newest accountable item, a pair of combat boots, was issued almost 15 years ago ... it all goes for disposal as trash."

When I retired, 25+ years ago, I made an appointment to turn in my stuff at NDHQ clothing stores. I appeared with a kit bag and a couple of the those big, reusable, CF moving boxes. I told the NCO "I washed and cleaned everything ... but I'm not retuning my 'cups, enamel' or my 'ration bag' because I still use both (the ration bag for shaving gear when I travel) and I haven't seen my hold-all or sewing kit in decades. My wife is keeping my barrack box to store stuff she wants to give to her grandkids."

The nice corporal took out my envelope full of documents, tossed them in the trash, signed my clearance form and said, "enjoy your retirement, sir."

"What happens to all this stuff?" I asked.

She looked at it and said, "Sir, your newest accountable item, a pair of combat boots, was issued almost 15 years ago ... it all goes for disposal as trash."

Next to skin items, DEUs and Boots all go back to the member or can be disposed of through clothing, boots with a hole punched.

Operational kit is inspected for serviceability and is either scrapped or dry cleaned and put back into circulation.

Having said that our clothing docs are a mess. And most require MLR action to clear them.

lol I did 38 years - our first flak vests were Vietnam era OD. I cannot remember ever being issued a CADPAT flak vest.
At least you had a vest.

I've been given ill fitting old American woodland vests a handful of times to throw grenades, that's it. Put it on, toss, take it off and hand to the next guy.

Embarrassing.

As far as I can recollect in the year I was in, the 1980's with the the US Vietnam vest (which didn't stop .22LR BTW - I checked) , followed by a CAF solid green in the 90's (the FYR years) (also didn't stop .22LR) , then a mix of the FYR Green and US Army old PASGT woodland vests (the PASTG vest stopped .22LR but nothing more), and the over that plate carrier for shoot house etc work, then Green Armor with both soft and plates - then the CADPAT ones. The there where also Blue "MP" vests issues for various things, plus the Pacific Safety soft and hard that didn't really go outside of the Hill at those times.

Wasn’t one issue that some folks thought that the aptly named frag vest was something more than its (accurate) name suggested? I flew users with a BV early on, and we were all clear on the difference of a true BV and the green beast.

Wasn’t one issue that some folks thought that the aptly named frag vest was something more than its (accurate) name suggested? I flew users with a BV early on, and we were all clear on the difference of a true BV and the green beast.
Yes. IIRC all the non ski vests where considered Frag vests other than:
the ones used in conjunction with over worn plate carrier
The MP soft vest (handgun only without the PC)
Then the current gen body Armor.

The Vietnam era and FYR era where definitely marked as Fragmentation vests -

Issued headlamps too!

Season 9 Wow GIF by The Office

New sleeping bags getting issued out west, in a stunning display of modernity they’re machine washable mummy bags
Would love to see some pics.

Are they GBA+ designed with a whole bunch of different lengths and sizes?

Back