• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rising school absences: the post pandemic education divide

I think a lot of kids grow up with unrealistic expectations for what jobs actually pay money that they might actually end up doing.

Kids want to be professional athletes, editors of fashion magazines and CEOs of non-profits.

No one wants to sell insurance, work on a construction site or work at Home Depot.

My oldest, basically avoided finishing high school which she hated with a passion. Going through TRU and now Capilano U she will get her degree and pick up her Grade 12 transcript on the way. Going through high school she would need 80 credits, as a 18 year adult, she needs 20. She is now on her 7th university course at 17 and 3/4's.

I think a lot of kids grow up with unrealistic expectations for what jobs actually pay money that they might actually end up doing.

Kids want to be professional athletes, editors of fashion magazines and CEOs of non-profits.

No one wants to sell insurance, work on a construction site or work at Home Depot.
Or social media influences or professional YouTubers.

I think the problem in the top quote is directly tied to the highlighted section in the second quote.
No doubt. There are lots of people online who are only too happy to tell you how many millions they are worth just from hawking vapid products or ideas from their basement with a Grade 8 education (which, in itself is a sad comment on western society). What we don't know is the likely thousands of like minded folks who are still waiting for their 'big break'.

No doubt. There are lots of people online who are only too happy to tell you how many millions they are worth just from hawking vapid products or ideas from their basement with a Grade 8 education (which, in itself is a sad comment on western society). What we don't know is the likely thousands of like minded folks who are still waiting for their 'big break'.

Its a false economy. It will fall hard when the recession/depression really sets in.

Its a false economy. It will fall hard when the recession/depression really sets in.

And don't show fear... the market can smell fear ;)

When a Market Correction Gets Hot, Stay Cool​

You’ve spent a lot of time making a financial plan. You’ve read the blogs, perhaps worked with a professional, and you’ve made the best decisions you could. Now is the moment to be confident in your strategy and stick with it. Don’t change directions just because a correction is blowing your way.

Behavioral scientists talk about hot and cold cognition. Cold cognition involves formulating ideas and making rational choices based on facts. But when we are agitated, hot cognition kicks in and our emotions rule the day.

One trick to success in a correction is to recognize when you enter a state of hot cognition. That’s the moment you need to stop acting and trust the decisions you made when you were cold.

Back