• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rick (Master Crayon Eater) on choosing your political horse

Another factor to consider is people's age and life experieneces can most certainly influence their voting preferences.

I know many late 20s adults who were die hard Justin Trudeau (Specifically his) brand of Liberals in the 2015 Landslide election. Fast forward many years later, working, paying bills and some of them raising their own children, and these responsibilities tend to pretty much convince all of them to stand against Trudeau (although they are not all jumping with Pierre either).

My own wife was a staunch NDP supporter in her early adult years. Throw in many life experiences (including marrying a soldier), and she pretty much leans conservative now. Oh, and she is sickened by Trudeau's patronizing and phony feminism. Her family when she was growing up was interesting. My wife's parents are immigrants. Her mother worked at York U (Commie central) and she was a die hard Liberal supporter (especially Trudeau SR but she hates Justin and thinks he is a phony). Her father was a business owner and became a die hard conservative supporter. It certainly makes for stressful conversations.

As new events happen and new information is learned, opinions should be adjusted to reflect the new information. Doubling down on something that is an obvious mistake or just blatant wrong, is really stupid. For example (I will single out the Trudeau liberals on this because they are the current Government) look at how the Trudeau Liberals either don't answer questions in HoC or blantantly deny/lie their way through the question periods.

Be flexible, be adaptable. I like Allan Savory's rule on going with a final decision "Assume you are wrong and look for the first signs that things that are going wrong, then re-plan and do again"

As new events happen and new information is learned, opinions should be adjusted to reflect the new information. Doubling down on something that is an obvious mistake or just blatant wrong, is really stupid. For example (I will single out the Trudeau liberals on this because they are the current Government) look at how the Trudeau Liberals either don't answer questions in HoC or blantantly deny/lie their way through the question periods.

Be flexible, be adaptable. I like Allan Savory's rule on going with a final decision "Assume you are wrong and look for the first signs that things that are going wrong, then re-plan and do again"

People should have opinions based on data that are loosely held, instead they tend to have poorly informed opinions strongly held.

The timestamp is 1:20 if the link isn't working correctly.

TL/DR;

People tend to form opinions on topics quickly, without much data, then stick to their opinion regardless of the data.

Last edited:
People should have opinions based on data, they are loosely held, instead they tend to have poorly informed opinions strongly held.

The timestamp is 1:20 if the link isn't working correctly.

TL/DR;

People tend to form opinions on topics quickly, without much data, then stick to their opinion regardless of the data.
A good reminder that if someone changes their mind based on good hard facts they are not “wishy washy”

I am still seing people (here included) who believe Trudeau has a strong chance of winning a majority maybe a minority in the next election.

No articulation as to what is wrong with Pierre and his policies, direction or what he has to say.

Lemme be blunt with some folks here on army.ca, your more out of touch with civie politics than you realize.

The younger generation are the ones that have blown me away (18-25). I have seen many of them in the urban neighbourhoods and rural towns having zero love for Trudeau. Like none. They don't see him as woke but rather a total phony. I even listened to one young lady saying Trudeau was for "boomers who still love his father". Interesting.

What pisses off this age range? Keeping in mind they are more tempermental than probably most other age ranges (my own theory). They have no prospect of home ownership, decent paying jobs and even education cost is ridicolous. Affording a car (easy to do for 18-25 year olds with full time employment 15-20 years ago) on their own is not an option (mom, co-sign with me please?). And Trudeau blah blah blah of how they are making things "better" for Canadians turns into empty hollow words on them. And Pierre is captilizing on their frustration.

However, for the those here that keep wearing blinders and always look at the recent past, sure keep thinking that way. Or open your eyes. Talk to a few young people for their insights. Its what I did.

What pisses off this age range? Keeping in mind they are more tempermental than probably most other age ranges (my own theory). They have no prospect of home ownership, decent paying jobs and even education cost is ridicolous. Affording a car (easy to do for 18-25 year olds with full time employment 15-20 years ago) on their own is not an option (mom, co-sign with me please?). And Trudeau blah blah blah of how they are making things "better" for Canadians turns into empty hollow words on them. And Pierre is captilizing on their frustration.
This will especially be true for younger millennials who may not be able to stay at home if their parents default on a mortgage renewal effort because the effective interest rate is in some cases close to three (3) times what it was when their parents renewed last…that’s a Govt Printing Money (M2) issue, not a ‘Still feeling the effects of COVID) issue…heck, add that to CRA saying recently, ‘Yeah, we don’t think we have enough people to try to recover the excess $15B that was given away by the Federal Government…’ etc.

This will especially be true for younger millennials who may not be able to stay at home if their parents default on a mortgage renewal effort because the effective interest rate is in some cases close to three (3) times what it was when their parents renewed last…that’s a Govt Printing Money (M2) issue, not a ‘Still feeling the effects of COVID) issue…heck, add that to CRA saying recently, ‘Yeah, we don’t think we have enough people to try to recover the excess $15B that was given away by the Federal Government…’ etc.
Grossly oversimplified,

I was ecstatic to get a 5.75% mortgage rate when I bought my house and rates slide down since then and now only going up. My sisters first mortgage was around 21%

interest rates are an almost meaningless number without the context of what the mortgage and principle and income were

I was ecstatic to get a 5.75% mortgage rate when I bought my house and rates slide down since then and now only going up. My sisters first mortgage was around 21%
Yeah…my first mortgage was 9.95…we thought we got away like robbers…friends were still at 14-16%, which was the downside of the low 20s like your sister experienced. My last one was below-2% and next one coming up this year will likely be in the 6.x% region. Not at all thrilled with that, and a more prudent/responsible Govt may have done a breed job “looking after the debt, so I didn’t have to.”

interest rates are an almost meaningless number without the context of what the mortgage and principle and income were
So ‘trebled interest’ is ‘almost meaningless’ then? 🤔

its a bad one now but if your mortgage was 25000 it wouldnt hurt near as much
I wouldn’t have a mortgage if I owed only 25,000. But I’ll play along, what % of gross income would you say someone would be spending on a mortgage for 3x rise in interest to not be a concern?

I wouldn’t have a mortgage if I owed only 25,000. But I’ll play along, what % of gross income would you say someone would be spending on a mortgage for 3x rise in interest to not be a concern?
The interest rate doesnt really matter if your term isnt up. We'll see what the rate is by the end of the year. Ive had a 25000 mortgage at 18% and we thought it was bad but no it is no where as bad as today

Well, no matter the amount, my position is that for anybody, a mortgage due any time this calendar year is going to be demonstrably worse than a rate below 2%…

Well, no matter the amount, my position is that for anybody, a mortgage due any time this calendar year is going to be demonstrably worse than a rate below 2%…
sure and its possible that the interest rates continue to go higher notwithstanding inflation as a means of getting housing under control. We already know Tiff and Justin dont care

Back