• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

I suppose it is entirely possible that one-day a Minister might accidentally answer an actual question that had just been asked of them.
Undoubtedly there will be people on both sides of the house who will drop dead on from sheer shock.

While nuclear is the best option, the infra cost to establish one (let alone two) nuclear submarine bases would be measured in hundreds of millions of dollars (if the CAF is lucky).

I suspect neither current base would be suitable; acquiring land in a suitable location would start the problem space, followed by construction of an entirely new base, in a location that could attract and retain the skilled workforce needed...

I suspect neither current base would be suitable; acquiring land in a suitable location would start the problem space, followed by construction of an entirely new base, in a location that could attract and retain the skilled workforce needed...
So, Port Alberni BC and Argentia NL.

:sneaky:

While nuclear is the best option, the infra cost to establish one (let alone two) nuclear submarine bases would be measured in hundreds of millions of dollars (if the CAF is lucky).

I vote for Grotton, CT and Kitsap, WA. Buy US subs and base them with theirs where the infrastructure already exists. Start by training Canadian crews on US boats while ours are being built.

So, Port Alberni BC and Argentia NL.

:sneaky:
No idea about Argentia, but Port Alberni could do with an economic boost. A decade-plus massive investment in brand-new construction in an increasingly former resource town with a major Indigenous population, plus the permanent cash flow? Lots of opportunities for training into all sorts of civvy roles? Should be easy to spin that in all sorts of intersectionally-supportive ways.

There is a long list major capital projects that the current and future governments must consider in order to modernize the CAF, improve recruiting and perhaps revitalize the domestic defence industry. A new White Paper by the future government will be required which will take into account the ever dynamic world security environment and fiscal reality.

I am of the opinion that no matter which party is in power, the defence budget will always come under intense scrutiny for cuts in order to serve the governing party's political interests and current public opinion. Submarines, by their nature, operates in the netherworld, which means that the general public knows that they exist but are not sure what they're doing and how important they are to national security. If the government and DND wants submarines they must be more transparent and clear to the public about the purpose of submarines and their vital contribution to national defence as a whole.

I am not sure if the current or future federal government will support a submarine replacement project and I believe that this decision will be based on the huge procurement cost and use of alternative defence assets to cover off most of the submarines capabilities. At this time I think that Canadians know that Communist China and Russia poses an existential security threat, but they are unsure how to counter it. They will prefer to use diplomatic means vice building a credible defence deterrent like submarines. I hope that I'm wrong.

No idea about Argentia, but Port Alberni could do with an economic boost. A decade-plus massive investment in brand-new construction in an increasingly former resource town with a major Indigenous population, plus the permanent cash flow? Lots of opportunities for training into all sorts of civvy roles? Should be easy to spin that in all sorts of intersectionally-supportive ways.
Don't forget deep water port able to handle large vessels.

Argentia has the ferry terminal. Not sure what else it has.

Don't forget deep water port able to handle large vessels.

Argentia has the ferry terminal. Not sure what else it has.
Certainly. And much more convenient to other defence establishments, and the bright lights of middling and major cities, than Rupert or Kitimat.

Why not base some CAUKUS Nukes in Shelburne N.S.. Close to support in Groton and Newport news with deep water
a former RCN pier and a two hour drive to Halifax for Beer and orders.

The perfect reason to base them in Ville de Quebec then? :sneaky:

the word "nuclear" enters the conversation.

You know that will set the anti nuke types and the "green" lot over the edge.
Not this green lot. Nuclear = near carbon neutral. Also a lot less time spent doing irritating things like going the fueling jetty... lol.

Realistically diesel electric with some kind of aip is probably what we could afford

Realistically diesel electric with some kind of aip is probably what we could afford
Agree and also more likely given the massive tail that nuke boats need. I have had some good convo's with some RN Nuke Engineering counterparts and keeping engineering watches filled on those boats is an extreme challenge. The technical skills are high and the number of people who can do them are limited.

Back