• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Release Item 5F - Questions Release or Reenrollment (Merged)

First off thanks to MarioMike for helping me find this thread!

I have a couple questions (and hoping for some clarity_.

If a member is being released 5F can they ask to be released under a less severe form of release in their representation memo?  Sort of "I don't want to be released but if I am can it be in something other than 5F?" 
Is that something the people at the other end of the representation memo can change or would the members release be set in stone?

If a member does get released under a 5F what is the process for them to have the 5F changed to something else? I've seen someone in this merged thread say they went to their local MP to have it changed. Is there a lower level way a mbr can go about doing that?  I guess I'm looking for a step one.

Jarnhamar said:
First off thanks to MarioMike for helping me find this thread!

I have a couple questions (and hoping for some clarity_.

If a member is being released 5F can they ask to be released under a less severe form of release in their representation memo?  Sort of "I don't want to be released but if I am can it be in something other than 5F?" 
Is that something the people at the other end of the representation memo can change or would the members release be set in stone?

If a member does get released under a 5F what is the process for them to have the 5F changed to something else? I've seen someone in this merged thread say they went to their local MP to have it changed. Is there a lower level way a mbr can go about doing that?  I guess I'm looking for a step one.

It would be done through the Grievance process.

[urlhttps://www.canada.ca/en/military-grievances-external-review/corporate/canadian-armed-forces-grievance-process.html][/url]

Hamish Seggie said:
Yes I've seen 5Fs reversed. One young soldier , IMO, was given a 5f release when another troop blatantly bladed him.  .

who the hell would do that? was it by like  accident or was it on purpose?

Hamish Seggie said:
another troop blatantly bladed him.

TheSnake said:
who the hell would do that? was it by like  accident or was it on purpose?

Can't speak for Hamish, but "bladed" may not have been meant in the literal sense.

Good day All,

For PRes, is there a time period after being declared NES an individual can be released? Under 1(c) or 5(f)?

If so, does the count start from the NES date or receipt of the NES letter?

Be so kind to direct me to applicable publications.

Thanks for your time!

General practice is to make reasonable attempts to contact the member and persuade them to return to parading. If this fails, then typically, a letter is sent. It is practice at my unit to declare a person NES if they have not responded to the notice letter within 14 days. IAW the ref below, the CO shall then commence proceedings to release the member under 5(f). A 1(c) release would likely not apply to a reserve member except in the most exceptional of circumstances.

The primary document reference would be CF Mil Pers Instr 20/04.

Thanks very much. So it’s at CO’s discretion to determine whether and at what point in time after declaring NES the member should be released?

Quality of Reserve admin is wildly variable across the country. There are policies and procedures to follow; some do it better than others. Some units don't put much effort into admin, unfortuatnely, and that results in situations like this one. Ultimately, it's a command responasibiltiy to care for one's soldiers; that includes doing their admin adequately.

(As I recall, back when I tracked some such things, the quality of admin (based on looking at the number of pers per CBG with no parading for 12+ months as a proportion of those who paraded) decreased as you crossed the country from east to west, with 38 CBG in Winnipeg being the only exception to that rule.
Handling NES is a perennial problem, Action might be taken when the RF clerk notices the bottom 2 file drawres are full to overflowing or not as there aren't any ramifications to non process. IF units vwere penalized $$ in trg budget maybe, just maybe more attention would be paid and the system smoothed, I wonder!

Good day All,

For PRes, is there a time period after being declared NES an individual can be released? Under 1(c) or 5(f)?

If so, does the count start from the NES date or receipt of the NES letter?

Be so kind to direct me to applicable publications.

Thanks for your time!

In the time it takes you to wait for answers from strangers on the internet, and to try to assess if they’re accurate or useful, you could simply walk into your unit, say “hey, I screwed up and want to sort this out”, and start doing so. You can either convince them to let you resume showing up, or you can initiate a voluntary release that avoids all the i Vince winces of being kicked out of the military for not being worth their time- because if you’re NES, that’s the box you’ve put yourself in.

Walk in at your earliest convenience, find the orderly room, explain who you are and why you’re there, and very politely ask to speak to someone who can help you untangle this and pull you out of a hole.

Back