• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recipes

Scott

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Inactive
Reaction score
OK, summer is upon us and, even though it's been raining steady here in NS, it is BBQ season. I don't know about you guys but just the thought of grilling up some grub is enough to get my mouth watering in anticipation! I am a food lover, a bit finicky but still like trying new adaptations to trusted favorites.

I'm not looking for a recipe to make crepes suzette, I am looking for the recipes with umph. Grilling, smoking, char broiling, frying, etc. pansy *** recipes need not apply! Soul food, comfort food, Mom's dinner, stews, goulashes and cedar planked sorts - no tarts and easy bakes. Anything cooked with booze or best consumed with booze - and not the girly coloured designer drinks, those do not contain booze, they contain girl vomit drugs.

Clear?

My first:

Honey Hot Jack Mustard

1 cup coarse grain mustard
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup whiskey
1/4 cup honey
1 tbsp Tabasco sauce

Stir all together then whisk until blended. Put into fridge for at least 2 hours before serving. Will keep for a couple of weeks and yields 2.5 cups (A fair bit even for a party)

Can be used as a dip for french fries, fried pepperoni. I use it with fried pepperoni and the combination is great. The sauce is not too hot and just sweet enough to offset the hot of the pepperoni.

Enjoy.

An old one but a good one:

Beer Butt Chicken (from memory don't get mad at me, there are multiple recipes on the net)

1 chicken
1 can of beer
4-5 cloves garlic
Sauce, spice, rub to taste (usually best with some flavor aka Tabasco)

1. open beer can, drink about 1/2 to 2/3 of the beer. Crush garlic cloves and put into beer can. Slide the beer can into the chicken's cavity and stand the chicken upright on the beer can. The beer can should be standing upright and the chicken on top in case you didn't get that. Rub spice on chicken to taste.

2. Place in barbeque, cook until the chicken reaches, don't quote me on this, 375 degrees fahrenheit (or whatever the right temp. is) the beer should have somewhat boiled and kept the inside of the chicken moist and the outside should be nice and crispy from the barbeque.

3. Enjoy.

Authors note: do not take everything here for granted, I would check another recipe to see how it is done, I usually just go until I think it is cooked or I improvise on ingredients etc., its never the same twice.

Have fun! great idea for a thread by the way.

-J

I know you lot are no doubt chronic carnivores but this recipe fooled my dad for many years, not an easy feat since he ate real goulash at least weekly since he cut teeth. He died never knowing it wasn't meat! He loved it so much I sprinkled paprika on his grave and make this every year on his birthday.

Now that I've depressed the crap out of you, here's the recipe for:

Fake Goulash/Falosny Gulas)

NB 1 - Try to get your hands on the really good imported Hungarian paprika, the so called sweet paprika. With so few ingredients it's imperative to get the best you can find. Don't use the stuff that's been on the spice rack for 5 years!

NB 2 - Yes, the TVP does smell a bit like kibble but stay with me people! It transforms into something tasty!

NB 3 - The Maggi and paprika amounts are really guess-timates. Start with small amounts and keep adding.

a tablespoon of fat(in the old country it was always drippings or duck fat - use oil, butter, lard - just no margarine)
1 large onion, finely chopped
*1 clove garlic, finely chopped(optional)
1 tin(58 ml) tomato paste
30 ml paprika(at least - the Magyar in me can't get enough)
2.0 litres boiling water(aprx)
2 large potatoes, diced medium
3 carrots, medium chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 cup of TVP chunks(texturized vegetable protein) - if you don't know what it is or where to find it ask the local hippies ;)
15 - 30 ml **Maggi seasoning
*sprinkle of caraway seeds(optional)

To a heated pot add:  fat, onion, garlic. Cook over low heat until translucent and lightly caramelised. Now stir in the tomato paste and enough boiling water to moisten(roughly 50ml) Cook for a minute or so until it starts to absorb, then add paprika and stir thoroughly.
***Add potatoes, stir. ***Add carrots, stir. ***Add green pepper, stir.  When everything is mixed together, add the TVP, then the boiling water. Give the whole mess a good stir, then add 15ml Maggi. Stir again. Taste it and see if it needs more. Bring to a vigorous boil, then let simmer for an hour or two, adding water if needed, until all veggies are tender. (I sometimes make this in my rice cooker which is perfect for that - I guess a crock pot/slow cooker would work too) Taste again and adjust seasonings if needed. Maggi is what gives it the beef flavour and you need to suit it to your taste buds. I always end up adding more paprika, but again, that's to your taste. I've sometimes used a 1/4 cup of the stuff ifnnot more! If you want some more zing, add hot paprika or to taste. This stuff, like all goulash tastes better after being reheated a few times so don't fret over leftovers!

**If you can't get Maggi use beef bouillon cubes or replace the boiling water with beef stock.

***I guess you could dump them all in at once but my grandmother told me you have to make three additions to symbolise the Holy Trinity. Not like I'm religious but I do it anyway!

Serve with a  nice bottle of Egri Bikaver if you want to be all classy like, but since Scott wants "umph" wash it down with Palinka(apricot brandy), Slivovica(plum brandy) or my "girly drink:"

For each drink:

1 can Dr. Pepper
2 shots Slivovica

I call it the Bratislava Bomb! ;D

BBQ Salmon

7-10lb salmon
1/2 lb. butter
6 cloves garlic
rosemary,
thyme,
basil
lemon
onion
shrimp
mushrooms

Preparation Time: 1-2 hours
Serves: 4

Crush 6 gloves of garlic & chop up very fine. Mix the chopped garlic with the butter at room temperature. Rub the butter/garlic all over the inside and outside of the salmon. Cut very thin slices of lemon & place in the salmon. Slice an onion and lay it out inside the salmon. Dice mushrooms of your choice & place inside the salmon. Place some shrimp inside the salmon. Finely chop the herbs and spread all over the salmon.
Wrap the salmon up in aluminum foil and place on a well heated BBQ.
Allow 10-15 minutes of cooking for every pound.
Of course a recipe like this always tastes better on a charcoal grill.

Grammy's Chicken Wings in BBQ Sauce

This was my grandmother's recipe for wings and they are to die for...

2 or 3 pounds chicken wings
2 Tbsp salad oil ( I use olive oil)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3/4 c water
1/2 c diced onion
1 c celery
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup diced green peppers
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp salt

Brown wings.  Add onion and celery and other ingredients and pour over wings placed in a large casserole dish.  Cover and bake @ 325 for 1 hour or until tender.
Serves 4 to 6

HL

Seemingly weird combo for a BBQ sauce, but it's amazingly good....

- One part ketchup
- One part favourite cola drink
- Dash hot sauce (optional, to taste)

I've baked chicken pieces with this, and used it on the barbie.

Enjoy, and good idea for thread!

K more chicken wings...these ones are called:

Suicide BBQ Wings

2/3 c Regular BBQ sauce
1 tsp each of dry mustard and tabasco sauce

Combine first 2 ingredients for desired flavor; set aside.  Separate 12 wings @ the joints; disgarding wing tips.

On the BBQ:  Microwave wings covered on high for 5-7 min.  Drain.  Marinate wings in sauce for 20 min.  Finish cooking wings on BBQ on medium, brushing with additional sauce.

HL

Hearty BBQ Beef Short Ribs

5 lb beef short ribs
1 c BBQ sauce
1/3 c soya sauce
1 Tbsp each of minced fresh garlic & ginger

Place ribs in 1 or 2 large zippered plastic bags.
Combine BBQ sauce and other ingredients.
Pour 1 c BBQ marinade over meat, turning to coat.
Refrigerate remaining sauce.  Seal bag & place on tray in refrigerator for 1 hour or up to 3 days.
Turn bag occasionally.
Drain and discard marinade.
Grill on medium-high for 15-20 min. turning frequently.
Baste with remaining sauce.

Grilled Corn on the cob is good with this as well:
To Grill Corn

Cut 6 fresh corn cobs into 4; moisten with water.
Place beside ribs, cover loosely with tinfoil and grill for 15-20 min turning frequently.

HL

Here's a simple one I like - just did today in fact.

Soak a plank of cedar in water for about an hour - longer would be better.

Take a slab of salmon, sprinkle with a bit of dill.  Place the salmon on the plank, and then onto the grill, cooking until done.

Motherhood statement - make sure your plank doesn't burst into flames - hence the soak.  Some people like to do this and add a maple glaze over top or BBQ sauce - a mild one so you don't overpower the fish and the cedar taste.

Nummy Nummy.

MM

A favorite of mine that I learned to like in NB

Corn Fritters

1 1/3 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 c cream style corn
1 egg beaten
Oil for deep frying
Maple Syrup

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt
Combine cream corn and beaten egg; add to dry ingredients and mix ONLY until combined.
Drop heaping tablespoons into preheated oil, fry until golden brown, turning to ensure even browning.
Drain on paper towel.  Keep warm in 300 degree oven until all are cooked. 
Serve with maple syrup.

HL

Stuffed Mushroom Caps

12 large mushrooms
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 c green pepper
1/2 c minced celery
1/2 c scallions
1 tsp fresh garlic
Dash salt and pepper
3/4 c chicken broth
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
Italian parsley sprigs to garnish

Wash mushrooms and sprinkle with lemon juice.
Remove and mince stems.
Combine stems, peppers, celery, scallions and garlic in a non-stick pan.
Cook stirring occasionally, add salt and pepper.
Fill each cap with an equal amount of stuffing;
place in a shallow casserole.
Add broth to casserole and sprinkle mushrooms with Parmesan cheese.
Bake @ 400 F 20-25 Min's

HL

Portabello Mushroom Sandwiches

1 large Portabello mushroom cap per sandwich
1-2 large cloves of Garlic
A baguette or Loaf of Fresh Sour Dough bread
Olive Oil
Oregano, paprika, Basil, rosemary, +/- some chilli powder
Shaved parmasean cheese

Cut off stems and wash mushrooms, dry on paper towel

Chop or press garlic and divide into two portions.

Heat up a pan to medium, and add garlic, oil and herbs, and then mushroom caps, turn periodically.

In the meantime, heat the broiler up, brush olive oil and and garlic and herbs to taste onto bread and broil to however brwon you like.

Once all are done, pull out the bread, place mushrooms onto sandwich and then ad parmasean cheese.  Serve hot.

MM

Wine Poached Chicken

4 chicken pieces
1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp parsley
3/4 dry white wine

Place chicken and mushrooms in large skillet.
Sprinkle seasonings.
Pour wine over.
Cover; simmer 25-30 min or until chicken is cooked through and tender (boneless cooks more quickly)
This may also be cooked in a shallow casserole for 30-40 min in a 375 F oven.

HL

Southern Fried Wings with Gravy

To die for...literally, lol

2 1/2 lb trimmed wings
1  1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
Oil for deep frying
2 Tbsp flour
2 - 2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Mix flour with herbs and spices on a plate and roll wings in mixture to coat evenly.
Heat oil in a large pan to approx 370F
Deep fry wings a few at a time, until browned and crisp about 10-15 min
Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to drain and continue until all wings are done.
Pour off all but 2 Tbsp of oil, leaving all the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
Add 2 Tbsp of flour and mix well.
Pour milk, a little at a time and whisk continuously until gravy comes to a boil. 
Add salt and pepper.

Transfer wings to a platter and serve with a bowl of gravy for dipping.

HL

Mikey's Chili

(make it in at least a 6-quart pot or slow cooker)

- 3-4 large white onions, chopped in food processor
- garlic
- olive oil

Start heating the onions with the garlic and oil.

Add spices:
- lots of chili powder (to taste, be bold)
- you can also add one or two packages of commercial chili spice mix (for the other spices mixed in)

Add:
- One large can of crushed tomatoes
(OR use flavoured spaghetti sauce, like roasted garlic or red papper for some deeper flavours in the sauce)

- chopped hot peppers (this is always a lottery, depending on how many peppers you use, and how hot they are that day)
    - 3-4 jalapeno
    - 3-4 hot yellow banana peppers

- chopped (not hot) peppers (adds veggie bulk without more fire)
    - 3-4 cubanelles

Grind one large can of kidney beans in the food processor, along with mushrooms
- add to chili pot

Brown the meat (beef, pork, turkey, whatever ...), drain excess fat and add to chili pot

Simmer 4 hours.

Serves many. Freeze extra in single serving containers for future meals.

Hot Lips said:
A favorite of mine that I learned to like in NB

Corn Fritters

1 1/3 c flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 c cream style corn
1 egg beaten
Oil for deep frying
Maple Syrup

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt
Combine cream corn and beaten egg; add to dry ingredients and mix ONLY until combined.
Drop heaping tablespoons into preheated oil, fry until golden brown, turning to ensure even browning.
Drain on paper towel.  Keep warm in 300 degree oven until all are cooked. 
Serve with maple syrup.

HL

The corn fritters tasted good tonight, Thank you HL!

Chicken Parmigiana:

As many Boneless/Skinless Chicken breast as person's your going to feed.

Linguini's or Fettuccine noddles

1 Large Onion

1-2 cloves of Garlic

Fresh Parmesan Cheese

1 Block of Mozzarella

1-2 Tin of Favorite tomato sauce (you can use your own if you prefer but stay away from meat in the sauce)

Virgin Olive Oil.

In a large Pan heat Olive Oil till it's hot enough to cook with ( usually for me that's about the time it takes for me to chop my onion ans slice the garlic) at a medium heat. Chop Onion and slice Garlic thinly, Place in pan and start to saute. Take chicken and spice to your taste I normally add Onion Power, Garlic salt, Garlic powder and Lemon Pepper. Place Chicken in pan with Onions and Garlic, cook till the chicken in done all the way through.

In a medium or large Pyrex dish place your cooked chicken in a row, now dump the can of Tomato sauce over top of chicken ( the sauce can be non heated or heated it's your choice) now layer your sauteedOnions and Garlic over the chicken and sauce then pour in the Olive Oil from the pan. Grate the Fresh Parmesan Cheese in a thin layer over the entire dish just enough that you see the white cheese. Now grate the block of Mozzarella over the entirety of the dish ( I like a very think layer myself but this is all about your preference). Place Pyrex dish in Oven at 350 cook till cheese melts and bubbles slightly

Boil water cook noodles to desired tenderness ( Come on if you couldn't have figured that out you probably didn't get any of the rest of this right either).

Make a nice layer of Noodles on a plate then place chicken and sauce in center of the noodles ( you may need a knife to cut the melted cheese and a spoon to add some extra sauce)

This is a very rich meal but one that is very very tasty. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy making it.

HitorMiss said:
I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy making it.

I'm sure I would.  Now when are you making it?  ;D

New fundraising project for the site.....Army.ca Cookbook.

Back