• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Poncho Liner Ranger Blanket US vs Canadian?

YoshinRyu

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I am seeing Canadian poncho liners aka ranger blankets at surplus stores.

I have US ones and the Canadian ones seem heavier and maybe coated.

Which are the pros/cons of one vs the other?

One is useful, light and warm.

The other is Canadian.

;)
The US one is the pattern for all others. Back in the early 90s when they - our superiors - told us we were getting the Ranger blanket we were all elated. Our hopes were dashed when they were OD in color, and were not very compact.

THEN we found out that because the CAF had a shitload of old green rain jacket material left over and TB was not going to let that go to waste, that's what ours were made of. They were like a moving blanket.

A few years later the current light weight ones (at least in my day) came out . We exchanged them one for one.

The US one is the pattern for all others. Back in the early 90s when they - our superiors - told us we were getting the Ranger blanket we were all elated. Our hopes were dashed when they were OD in color, and were not very compact.

THEN we found out that because the CAF had a shitload of old green rain jacket material left over and TB was not going to let that go to waste, that's what ours were made of. They were like a moving blanket.

A few years later the current light weight ones (at least in my day) came out . We exchanged them one for one.
Funny enough, I still have mine....

One thing I can say for them is that they certainly were robust.

God, the smell those must have had. :sick:

The only problem with the US ones and most knockoffs is that the thread used for the zigzag that holds it together is of too light a weight and different strengths on the "straight thread" vs the "looping" thread so the threads often break.

Back