• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NLOS-LS (Non Line Of Sight - Launch System) AKA Netfires - Progress

This ties into the ISV/light technical discussion.

A fleet of light vehicles that can strike anywhere, and fall back before being engaged by heavy enemy units is likely more useful than a few very heavy units.
Unless they are seen before…

One needs a multi domain force to be relevant these days.

Unless they are seen before…

One needs a multi domain force to be relevant these days.

Whyizzit that the counter to every suggestion seems to be based on the assumption that it is being proposed as a singular magic bullet? I am pretty sure that the people doing the proposing are seeing it as a component in a larger, more cohesive whole.

I know what I am suggesting, and I believe Furniture and GR66 are tracking similarly, is that even a "poor" army like ours can materially contribute to conflicts by adding novel capabilities to our traditional mix. And some of the novel capabilities are become less and less novel by the day.

Whyizzit that the counter to every suggestion seems to be based on the assumption that it is being proposed as a singular magic bullet? I am pretty sure that the people doing the proposing are seeing it as a component in a larger, more cohesive whole.

I know what I am suggesting, and I believe Furniture and GR66 are tracking similarly, is that even a "poor" army like ours can materially contribute to conflicts by adding novel capabilities to our traditional mix. And some of the novel capabilities are become less and less novel by the day.
I'm a buzzkill what can I say ;)

Honestly I am all about Light Forces - but I feel I need to bring up Heavy Forces too int he same breath- as so often Governments seem to only opt for the first page of a 4 page briefing...

Honestly I am all about Light Forces - but I feel I need to bring up Heavy Forces too int he same breath- as so often Governments seem to only opt for the first page of a 4 page briefing...

We spend a great deal of time on this site moaning about how Canadians don't support their National Defence. But what do we give them to support?

Poland is buying 500 new tanks and 500 HIMARS launchers. But they have a war on their border and the fight is likely to come to them. Likewise for a bunch of other countries bordering China and Russia. Those taxpayers see a real need for weapons, shelters and training. They want to believe that their government and defence institutions can organize a defence of their people.

The US has its expeditionary forces that can contribute to international efforts but it also has its DHS, its Coast Guard, its National Guard, NORAD and Northcom that are focused on protecting the homeland. Vigorously.

Canada may be the only country in the world that can't be bothered to come up with a viable defence strategy for its homeland. And an Army that only wants to play away as a benchwarmer on somebody else's team.

Canada doesn't need a mobilization plan to put its entire population in Lithuania. Or Taiwan.

It needs a programme that will raise a credible force to operate in Canada.

And, in my opinion, that requires an air transportable force that exploits technology over manpower.

We spend a great deal of time on this site moaning about how Canadians don't support their National Defence. But what do we give them to support?

Poland is buying 500 new tanks and 500 HIMARS launchers. But they have a war on their border and the fight is likely to come to them. Likewise for a bunch of other countries bordering China and Russia. Those taxpayers see a real need for weapons, shelters and training. They want to believe that their government and defence institutions can organize a defence of their people.

The US has its expeditionary forces that can contribute to international efforts but it also has its DHS, its Coast Guard, its National Guard, NORAD and Northcom that are focused on protecting the homeland. Vigorously.
I think you are overly optimistic on our Homeland Defense initiatives.
Canada may be the only country in the world that can't be bothered to come up with a viable defence strategy for its homeland. And an Army that only wants to play away as a benchwarmer on somebody else's team.
Canada isn't the only country - but the only G20 or G7 country...

Canada doesn't need a mobilization plan to put its entire population in Lithuania. Or Taiwan.

It needs a programme that will raise a credible force to operate in Canada.

And, in my opinion, that requires an air transportable force that exploits technology over manpower.

If you need a credible force to operate in Canada, you may as well Bend Over.
Because that means the US Military has crumbled - or we are moving in, either way there is zero way to stop that from occurring.

The entire point of Expeditionary Forces are to stop troubles away from home, before they get to home.
The ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure analogy.

I think you are overly optimistic on our Homeland Defense initiatives.
Optimistic or not there is at least an attempt.

Canada isn't the only country - but the only G20 or G7 country...
So even countries with good neighbours have plans for the unexpected?

If you need a credible force to operate in Canada, you may as well Bend Over.
Because that means the US Military has crumbled - or we are moving in, either way there is zero way to stop that from occurring.
So we are not a sovereign nation then?
The difference between Canada and Ukraine is will. They have it. We don't.

The entire point of Expeditionary Forces are to stop troubles away from home, before they get to home.
The ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure analogy.
Canada - a useful auxilliary.

I like America and Americans. I regularly defend them on this site. But that doesn't mean I am willing to put all my eggs in their basket.

How many of your expeditionary divisions would you be willing to tie up here in Canada? The
7th, 10th and 11th perhaps? 25% of your expeditionary strength? And what would that gain you?
Unthinkable, right? But we seem to be thinking a lot about the unthinkable these days.

Canada - a useful auxilliary.

I like America and Americans. I regularly defend them on this site. But that doesn't mean I am willing to put all my eggs in their basket.
Then be prepared to more than triple your Defense budget.

How many of your expeditionary divisions would you be willing to tie up here in Canada? The
7th, 10th and 11th perhaps? 25% of your expeditionary strength? And what would that gain you?
Unthinkable, right? But we seem to be thinking a lot about the unthinkable these days.
Natural gas, Water...
I'm guessing we could buy off most of Alberta and Sask - and the interior of BC with being able to keep their guns ;)

In all seriousness, Canada is in a fantastic spot that is doesn't need a significant homeland defense effort.

Then be prepared to more than triple your Defense budget.

As I said, the difference between Canada and Ukraine is they have the will and we don't.

Natural gas, Water...
I'm guessing we could buy off most of Alberta and Sask - and the interior of BC with being able to keep their guns ;)

You're probably right. I wonder how much the Chinese could buy.

In all seriousness, Canada is in a fantastic spot that is doesn't need a significant homeland defense effort.

1661873489459.png

The difference between Ukraine and Canada is Ukraine has a hostile neighbor, and is in an area that doesn't have a solid record for peace - and different political system than their hostile neighbor...

It's like Apple and Cranberry - sure both can make juice, but one is enjoyable to drink.

I remember the US Army's Dune buggys at FT Lewis/Yakima and every time people talk about Light Forces, this pops to mind and fits with the new dress regs as well come to think about it.

megaforce-01.jpg

The original FAV (Fast Attack Vehicle) by Chenowth
Then became Light Strike Vehicle

Image 8-30-22 at 12.07 PM.jpg

Neat concept - but limited range and endurance.

Back