• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Destroyers?

What do you think of this as a choice for a replacement for the 280s.
http://www.amiinter.com/samples/netherlands/NL1301.html

The Loss of the 280s topic covers some possible replacements for the 280s.

This is a "I have no idea so please help me understand" type question...

What is the real naval threat these days? I mean realistically... do we need Destroyers to hunt down terrorism and trafficking or is a another boat better suited?

Should we reasonably expect naval combat any time in the near future (ie Navy on Navy) or would it be better to have more ships capable of providing maritime interdiction ops and land-op support?

(I have no idea in these matters, asking more as a curious citizen).

Discussed here:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/18403.0.html

Meridan just a few points on your post. If you have no idea why would your statement say:
I mean realistically... do we need Destroyers to hunt down terrorism and trafficking or is a another boat better suited
Why do you think a Destroyer is so ill suited? I look forward to your view.

Should we reasonably expect naval combat any time in the near future (ie Navy on Navy) or would it be better to have more ships capable of providing maritime interdiction ops and land-op support?
You realize everytime someone predicts we won't need ships for a certain role, war has a habit of proven them wrong. By the way in your view where are your air defence assets? Unless you feel like so many citizens that we must rely on other countries to provide that. THats just a step above handing the US trhe keys to Canada and asking them to defend us.

Can I ask a very simple question? Okay, two simple questions not counting these preface ones?

1. What is the difference between a cruiser, destroyer, frigate, and a cutter? Simply speaking is it the tonnage, is it the role?
2. What is the food chain- i.e cruisers eat land targets, destroyers eat ships, frigates eat subs?

I don't mean to be an jerk- I really don't know. All the navy boats I've ever seen have been gray and parked under the bridges in Halifax. I can't tell them a part.

I looked into it.
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/mspa_fleet/fleet_home_e.asp

Ummmm. guys, why are Sea Kings and Auroras listed under navy platforms?

A lot has to do because their taskings usually evolve around the navy but they are firmly an air force asset.

Well this was about the Navy afterall.

And Im asking from a "im a dumb canadian citizen who thinks destroyers blow up other ships" point of view.

What are they used for? What do we need them for?

Do we need to have a "total force" to be effective I guess is the larger question, and probably better debated in another format, or at least another day.

My point here is I know very little about the navy and was hoping someone could layman's term it for me and basically like Bograt asked...  whats the food chain..

Ex-Dragoon : so you are saying basically right now, the primary reason for needing new destroyers (beyond getting supply ships, amphib, subs (hehe) or any other naval vessel) is that things tend to happen when we don't have stuff?

Don't get me wrong, Im not trying to be anatagonist.. I just get asked these questions by my not-so-military friendly friends all the time, Id like to have at least a somewhat good answer to respond with.

we will have to up grade or up size our nave soon.
because if global warming continues at this rate the north-west passage will need to be defended full time
some more coastal patrol ships or something.

And as for Air Defence.. I assume you mean Naval group air defence.. as in defence for the naval ships at sea, right?

Hey Bograt found this, hope it helps:
http://www.hazegray.org/faq/smn6.htm

For the most part destroyer and frigate are blurred. Our CPFs are longer then our 280s and Aeliegh Burkes are the same size at WW1 Battleships.

Ex-D.. thanks for the link, even if you directed it to someone else...

I had never realized the size differences and where the Frigates fit into the Cruisers/Destroyers mix.

Thanks Ex-d. Very informative. My apologies for my sophmoric post. I am equally ignorant when it comes to land forces as well.

Curious to know the last time a Canadian ship fired a shot in anger.

<edited to mask my newfie accent, and please my grade 12 english teacher>

And Im asking from a "im a dumb canadian citizen who thinks destroyers blow up other ships" point of view.

What are they used for? What do we need them for?

We use destroyers for command and control (flagship) and as area air defence platforms.

]Do we need to have a "total force" to be effective I guess is the larger question, and probably better debated in another format, or at least another day.
If you mean different type of surface combatants then I say yes. Again the more we can bring to the table the more useful we can be for our allies.

Ex-Dragoon : so you are saying basically right now, the primary reason for needing new destroyers (beyond getting supply ships, amphib, subs (hehe) or any other naval vessel) is that things tend to happen when we don't have stuff?
Ok I have used this before and I will use it again. If a small town has a fire department and there has been no fires should it get rid of the fire department to save money? Especially if the nearest help is far away?

Don't get me wrong, Im not trying to be anatagonist.. I just get asked these questions by my not-so-military friendly friends all the time, Id like to have at least a somewhat good answer to respond with.
Sorry its just how I took your initial statement. I find I have always have to had defend the navy's needs here for the most part.

Bograt FYI with regard to cutters, for the most part its a term that the USCG uses for ships I believe is over 65 ft. In Cdn service its pretty much any ship used for patrol in CCG service.

canuck101 said:
What do you think of this as a choice for a replacement for the 280s.
http://www.amiinter.com/samples/netherlands/NL1301.html

If you look closely at this Dutch ship you may notice that the 5 inch gun are the same guns that were on the 280's prior to Trump. What we did was trade them to Otto Mallera for the 70 mm. The Italians refitted them and sold them to the Dutch.

whiskey 601 said:
Seems to be a Canadian tradition of equipping the Dutch.

...with Chinooks, Naval Guns, UN Safe Havens-soon-to-become-massacres....

Back