• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Crown

Don't forget that when Canada got its Maple Leaf flag in the mid-60's, there was a fair bit of opposition to losing the old flag, too, with six weeks of Commons debate & filibustering leading to a 163 to 78 vote in favour of it. "Why can't things be like in the old days?" isn't a new thing in heraldry here :)
They did also do a national competition to open it up to the public to submit designs for it instead of having a secret committee do it quietly on the side.

They did also do a national competition to open it up to the public to submit designs for it instead of having a secret committee do it quietly on the side.
And it STILL took 6 weeks of debate.

100% because people still chose from the submissions and some might not have liked the choice as well as some not wanting to change it in the first place.

At least it was open about what was happening instead of simply doing it and informing everyone afterwards.
True dat - even though some folks got heard, the House vote alone shows how divisive it was, for sure.

Wait... what!!!?? Like what happened in Russia in 1917, or just "here's your eviction notices and applications for council housing".

Words matter 🙃

lol the means was not the intent of my post. Ends, most assuredly.

Either way, what does Canada do if the UK removed the crown and royal family from their system of government and governance ?

Do they retain their royal titles and patronage in Canada ?

Either way, what does Canada do if the UK removed the crown and royal family from their system of government and governance ?

Our monarchy is completely seperate from the British monarchy system now. There is a reason the title is King of Canada, not King of the United Kingdom and Canada.

The system to remove them from power in Canada is the same either way. Open up the constitution, and get all 10 provinces, plus the federal government to vote them out. Which good luck with that.

I'm not opposed to a uniquely Canadian crown, I just have zero faith in the GoC to come up with something that doesn't look stupid.
Hence my only fear of 24 Sussex being torn down in favour of a new build.

'Look; we've designed a new Canadian horse!' (with apologies to the actual breed)

okapi_web-1024x683.jpg

Prepare for gong show:

"The Prime Minister also announced the Government of Canada's intention to award 30,000 Coronation medals to Canadians who have made significant contributions to the country, a province, territory, region or community, or an achievement abroad that brings credit to Canada. Further details on the design and distribution of the medals will be available in the coming months."

Prepare for gong show:

"The Prime Minister also announced the Government of Canada's intention to award 30,000 Coronation medals to Canadians who have made significant contributions to the country, a province, territory, region or community, or an achievement abroad that brings credit to Canada. Further details on the design and distribution of the medals will be available in the coming months."

30,000 medals for apple polishers of the PM and his gang.

Easy! They move into Rideau Hall! :)

I am so glad I am out now. As a former WO, I can only imagine what my new rank would have looked like
Funny that.

I ordered uniform parts and was surprised to see my Pips went back to Order of the Bath stars vice the ridiculous looking "Vimy" Stars.

This is some Bizarro world mental gymnastics going on at CHA/DHH

Prepare for gong show:

Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

I am so glad I am out now. As a former WO, I can only imagine what my new rank would have looked like
Isn't the change to the Coat of Arms? It might impact CWO/C1 ranks (if the thread/stitching is even that distinct in that size) but I seriously doubt anyone is making people change their WO/P1 or MWO/C2 ranks.

And there is almost zero chance that the Army officers' crowns will be changed. I can barely make them out as is :ROFLMAO:

Our monarchy is completely seperate from the British monarchy system now. There is a reason the title is King of Canada, not King of the United Kingdom and Canada.

The system to remove them from power in Canada is the same either way. Open up the constitution, and get all 10 provinces, plus the federal government to vote them out. Which good luck with that.
While true, the Succession to the Throne Act essentially aligns our succession with the UK (and similar legislation does the same for other Commonwealth realms). However that being the case, it also means Canada could conceivably decide to identify someone else as Sovereign or heir.

While true, the Succession to the Throne Act essentially aligns our succession with the UK (and similar legislation does the same for other Commonwealth realms). However that being the case, it also means Canada could conceivably decide to identify someone else as Sovereign or heir.
The Trudeau's already have a complex...don't give them any ideas

Be Quiet Yannick Bisson GIF by Ovation TV

That‘s what you call a constitutional crisis. The Canadian Constitution simultaneously requires both “a Constitution similar in principle to that of the United Kingdom” and unanimous consent of all provinces and the federal parliament to changes to “the office of the Queen”.

The second component, the so-called “Hatfield Clause” is generally considered to enshrine Monarchy in Canada forever, since all 10 provinces can’t agree on anything, but the first component is rarely discussed. What happens if the United Kingdom ceases and becomes the United Republic? Are we constitutionally bound to keep a UK-style monarchy, even if there is no longer a UK? Is a Republic of Canada with a ceremonial President (like Ireland/India/Israel) ‘similar‘ enough to be constitutional? Or are we bound to recognize Charles III and his heirs as King of Canada, even should he also, when in England, be just a private citizen of a Republic.

This is separate from things like Canada’s Succession To the Throne Act, which is only the law, and is therefore amendable by Parliament. Constitutional issues are more difficult to work around.

Back