• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Experience Program

canucksbc

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm just seeing if anyone has heard of anything or know someone who has been involved with the Naval Experience Program? I haven't been able to hear much about the program other than what was posted from forces.ca.

I have been following it pretty closely and we have some of the NEP folks on our ship right now.

What would you like to know ?

My GF son is at St Jean right now. Starting week 3, and the culture shock is wearing off and the embracing of the Suck that is Basic Training is taking hold.

I have been following it pretty closely and we have some of the NEP folks on our ship right now.

What would you like to know ?
Has it lived up to their expectations? Are they going to be signing up at the end of the one-year? What have they done so far (outside of BMQ)? Is it mostly classroom style learning then get posted to a ship?

Has it lived up to their expectations? Are they going to be signing up at the end of the one-year? What have they done so far (outside of BMQ)? Is it mostly classroom style learning then get posted to a ship?

Ya I think it has. I was just chatting with one young fella and he is enjoying it. What they all seem to like is that its only one year, and if they don't like it they can move on. I think this same young man will be signing on. Right now he is going through all the different departments and trades on board getting a taste for each of them. And he is lucky, he is collecting deployment benefits and getting port visits out of it.

He wants to be a Material Management Tech so he tends to spend most of his non-booked time in that section partaking their activities. At the moment they are going through a major stock taking for all rations and spare parts warehouses.

Its not much classroom. They have a large signature package to show that they have experienced everything, or as much as possible, that the Navy has to offer so they seem to be moving around a lot to and from shore establishments and ships. But they are with us for about a month and sailing home with us.

Ya I think it has. I was just chatting with one young fella and he is enjoying it. What they all seem to like is that its only one year, and if they don't like it they can move on. I think this same young man will be signing on. Right now he is going through all the different departments and trades on board getting a taste for each of them. And he is lucky, he is collecting deployment benefits and getting port visits out of it.

He wants to be a Material Management Tech so he tends to spend most of his non-booked time in that section partaking their activities. At the moment they are going through a major stock taking for all rations and spare parts warehouses.

Its not much classroom. They have a large signature package to show that they have experienced everything, or as much as possible, that the Navy has to offer so they seem to be moving around a lot to and from shore establishments and ships. But they are with us for about a month and sailing home with us.
That's great! I also selected this as my "occupation" when I was applying (I've completed the interview, just waiting for my medical in a couple of weeks). Did they say how long it took them? Obv. its different per person but some idea would be great.

I plan on signing on after the one-year regardless (if chosen) but just wanted me for an idea of what each occupation does before selecting something more long-term/permanent.

That's great! I also selected this as my "occupation" when I was applying (I've completed the interview, just waiting for my medical in a couple of weeks). Did they say how long it took them? Obv. its different per person but some idea would be great.

I plan on signing on after the one-year regardless (if chosen) but just wanted me for an idea of what each occupation does before selecting something more long-term/permanent.

To be honest I am not really sure, but I will ask them.

If the person completing the program is not currently interested in signing up full time, are they encouraged to go Naval Reserve and would that year in NEP count towards their rank in entering the Naval Reserve?

If the person completing the program is not currently interested in signing up full time, are they encouraged to go Naval Reserve and would that year in NEP count towards their rank in entering the Naval Reserve?

I really can answer that, if it was addressed to me.

It was addresses to anyone that can answer it. I know some young lads who might consider this program.

Having enrolled at least a dozen sailors under the NEP, here's the brief outline:

The program is based off the gap year concept, and modelled on a similar one run in Australia.

Members join as "sailor", without a trade. They undergo BMQ, and then NETP. After this, they are sent to either the east or west coast fleets. Here they will be given the opportunity to sail and experience all the trades on board, without having to make a decision. If they show a liking or affinity for a particular trade, they may be steered towards it. There is a handbook of sorts that tracks what exposure each sailor experienced.

At the end of the year, the participant gets to make one of three choices:
1. stay Reg Force and undergo specific trades training;
2. transfer to NAVRES, select a trade, and then take training; or
3. return to civilian life.

The feedback I've received thus far is very encouraging.

My GF son is at St Jean right now. Starting week 3, and the culture shock is wearing off and the embracing of the Suck that is Basic Training is taking hold.
Update:

So on Thursday we talked him off the ledge, Saturday he was back on the upward curve.
Then yesterday GF gets a call around 1100 from him. She's thinking "oh oh, he's done and coming home" She answers and he's pretty chipper. They were doing the security forms and he had time to call home.

I could hear in his voice that he has broken through the wall. He's telling stories of the Sgt freaking out at the platoon during an inspection (someone tried to hide garbage under the garbage bag), laughing at the feeling of being Darth Vader`d when the elevator containing the DS staff opened and they were milling about chatting, and finally telling week one recruits "Its bad right now, then it gets worse, then it gets better".

He has embraced the suck and unless something catastrophic happens he's going to do fine.

Update:

So on Thursday we talked him off the ledge, Saturday he was back on the upward curve.
Then yesterday GF gets a call around 1100 from him. She's thinking "oh oh, he's done and coming home" She answers and he's pretty chipper. They were doing the security forms and he had time to call home.

I could hear in his voice that he has broken through the wall. He's telling stories of the Sgt freaking out at the platoon during an inspection (someone tried to hide garbage under the garbage bag), laughing at the feeling of being Darth Vader`d when the elevator containing the DS staff opened and they were milling about chatting, and finally telling week one recruits "Its bad right now, then it gets worse, then it gets better".

He has embraced the suck and unless something catastrophic happens he's going to do fine.

"But day by day they kicks 'im, which 'elps 'im on a bit,
Till 'e finds 'isself one mornin' with a full an' proper kit. " ;)

Back