• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MS Office 365/MS Teams

If you're asking "is there enterprise file management" you're clearly a foreign agent.

"Information management" beyond the local desktop is clearly nothing the CAF will ever manage.

dapaterson said:
If you're asking "is there enterprise file management" you're clearly a foreign agent.

"Information management" beyond the local desktop is clearly nothing the CAF will ever manage.

I remember my early days on CIMP in 2006 when we were designing a Protected B web/server based system using file/records management (eventually we were forced to use RDIMS) and SharePoint 2007 for some 300 plus users distributed across Canada and in foreign lands, there was some pushback from IM Gp which was to the effect of "why would we want to build such a system when IM Gp was coming out with an enterprise wide system that would provide records management up to the Secret level in approximately three years?"

We continued building diligently for three years and delivered JAGNet (a bit late but not that late) in 2009/10 while I'm pretty sure that even now there is no widely deployed Secret system other than the same limited SIPRNET that was there when I left in 2009.

:pop:

MilEME09 said:
Not even all Class A, just leadership, making lesson plans would be a lot easier if i could just get on ACIMS or the electronic library to get the reference material i need, but i gotta make sure i find time on a wednesday,weeks prior to try and find the materials i need, email them to my self, etc..

O365 doesn't *link* into the DWAN or CAF IntraNet.  It's not like users are running a Remote Desktop session or something, so it has some rather significant limitations.

Lots of info on capabilities/limitations/restrictions on O365 on the FAQ page

Eye In The Sky said:
O365 doesn't *link* into the DWAN or CAF IntraNet.  It's not like users are running a Remote Desktop session or something, so it has some rather significant limitations.

Lots of info on capabilities/limitations/restrictions on O365 on the FAQ page.

I was referring to the idea of giving class A personal DVPNI laptops with DWAN access.

It's definitely better then no 'official' email at all, but really makes me wonder why our IT is so out of step with everyone elses.

My wife had full access to her DoJ shared drives, GCdocs file management system and everything else via a citrix portal and a key about 8 years ago, so effectively full remote functionality via any computer.

Things like DRMIS are probably an issue, but always baffles me that our Pro B system is more restrictive than other departments Secret setups.

Navy_Pete said:
It's definitely better then no 'official' email at all, but really makes me wonder why our IT is so out of step with everyone elses.

My wife had full access to her DoJ shared drives, GCdocs file management system and everything else via a citrix portal and a key about 8 years ago, so effectively full remote functionality via any computer.

Things like DRMIS are probably an issue, but always baffles me that our Pro B system is more restrictive than other departments Secret setups.

How about WiFi? Can we just get WiFi, for a start, like the local fast food joints?

daftandbarmy said:
How about WiFi? Can we just get WiFi, for a start, like the local fast food joints?

The new laptop I just got has wifi enabled, and is actually one of those tablet with dockable keyboard ones, so can jump onto DVPNI via wifi.  Not sure if they've set up places like Carlton place for wifi, but it's a start.

Still has a slot for the pki card so it dangles off the back which is weird, but still progress I guess.

So we've finally sort of caught up to similar functionality that other departments had at least 8 years ago, but have to say that the IT folks I have dealt with have always been good, so get that it's the general policy that is the issue and they do what they can under the umbrella.

Turns out I was doing everything wrong; browser, teams app vs o365 teams, some other stuff. What a trip. Can we please at least stick with this one? It's a clunky monster, but my crew have been through about a half-dozen chat/sharing apps so far and I'll settle for anything at this point.

daftandbarmy said:

I was always on the bleeding edge of technology with my firm but was always adamantly opposed to installing wifi because of the risk of opening up our solicitor client privileged data (which in the CAF is classified routinely as Protected B) to a potential intruder. It was much easier and safer to lock down our "wired" internet connection. Mind you in those days we didn't even have wifi WEP security protocols.

Not long after I left the firm in 2006 the young whipper snapper partner who took over the management of the firm's IT resources installed wifi. I probably would have then too had I stuck around because WPA2 came out that year.

All that to say that there is probably enough security these days on a properly configured wifi network with WPA2+AES (or better yet WPA3 Enterprise) to handle Protected A data. One would need one of the boffins from IM Gp to confirm that. Don't you guys have a local comms group to handle all that? Or are you past caring as you are about to become a nonentity like the rest of us retired guys?  ;D

:cheers:

On the plus side Teams is a really well put together VTC setup, and infinitely more user friendly then the previous GC setups, so once you get it working that bit is really straightforward.

With the VPN setup, all the data is encrypted between the laptop and the network, so doesn't really matter if the wifi is encrypted at all, but agree it is easier to keep a secure wifi network then ever. Not needing to use a network cable is a really big deal though, as most hotels don't have drops anyway, so was a bit useless for traveling or working outside an already established office previously with the old no-wifi laptops.

Other departments have already shifted to wifi in the office ages ago (on a trusted network that doesn't need a VPN to connect) but no idea if we've taken that leap yet.

Within the Carling Campus there is both an open, unclass WiFi network that permits personal devices, plus a DWAN wifi for DND issued devices.  As is always the case, a small number of users start streaming music or videos and cause performance issues for everyone else.

Early in the COVID 19 response, people had to be told not to stream audio / video over the VPN while at home, as they were hammering the servers.  Apparently the idea of streaming on a stand-alone device on their own network never occurred to them.

(Equally fun was having your neighbourhood cable network overloaded and being forced to do a VTC tethered to your phone.)

Jarnhamar said:
Got this message

For the web link?  Weird...I clicked on it and voila.  I'm using the Win10 w/latest Edge version.

Printed the page to PDF...attached.

Attachments

• Onboarding without a Smartphone.pdf
    306.1 KB · Views: 7
Back