• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Minister Anand announces investment of up to $3.7 billion to supply operational clothing and footwear to the Canadian Armed Forces

I couldn't agree more, especially now that the government's SOP is well known to both the public and the media.

Take a stand (Make sure you choose the battle wisely) and put the sword on the table.

After VAdm Norman's fiasco, as well as all of the other occasions where the government has directed the RCMP to investigate this person or that person - only to pay large settlements in the end - I would say the GOFO has a pretty good chance if surviving at this point.

The fact that the government still hasnt figured out that 'directing the RCMP to target an individual it doesn't like' IS the very definition of political meddling is mind boggling...

Some might be inclined to describe it as authoritarianism.

What I wrote to the MND and others today:

My name is Hamish Seggie. I am a retired soldier with 38 years service. I have served on the Island of Cyprus, Croatia 1993, and Bosnia in 1997. I have also participated with US Forces in Louisiana and California. I retired in 2017 with the rank of Chief Warrant Officer. One of the duties of a CWO is to ensure his or her soldiers are properly trained and their welfare – both physical and mental need are met.

I have to don that rank once more, although I am writing you as a citizen of our nation who has long since retired.

I attended a Change of Command ceremony in Minto Armories in Winnipeg recently. The state of Minto Armories is a facility well beyond its best before date. There are at least two 2.5 metre square holes cut in the floor and now covered with ¾ inch plywood. When I asked why these holes were there I was told there were problems with the pipes under the floor and now there is an asbestos issue.

I don’t think I have to explain to you what long term asbestos exposure can do to the human body. Pulmonary hypertension, Malignant Mesothelioma and Lung cancer are all possible disastrous outcomes if prolonged exposure to asbestos is experienced. This is also a particular concern for the families of those soldiers.

I would ask that the Minister of National Defence, the Critic for National Defence, and indeed the House of Commons find a viable solution to this concern.

Thank you for your service to Canada. It is no less important than the service of our uniformed members.

What I wrote to the MND and others today:

My name is Hamish Seggie. I am a retired soldier with 38 years service. I have served on the Island of Cyprus, Croatia 1993, and Bosnia in 1997. I have also participated with US Forces in Louisiana and California. I retired in 2017 with the rank of Chief Warrant Officer. One of the duties of a CWO is to ensure his or her soldiers are properly trained and their welfare – both physical and mental need are met.

I have to don that rank once more, although I am writing you as a citizen of our nation who has long since retired.

I attended a Change of Command ceremony in Minto Armories in Winnipeg recently. The state of Minto Armories is a facility well beyond its best before date. There are at least two 2.5 metre square holes cut in the floor and now covered with ¾ inch plywood. When I asked why these holes were there I was told there were problems with the pipes under the floor and now there is an asbestos issue.

I don’t think I have to explain to you what long term asbestos exposure can do to the human body. Pulmonary hypertension, Malignant Mesothelioma and Lung cancer are all possible disastrous outcomes if prolonged exposure to asbestos is experienced. This is also a particular concern for the families of those soldiers.

I would ask that the Minister of National Defence, the Critic for National Defence, and indeed the House of Commons find a viable solution to this concern.

Thank you for your service to Canada. It is no less important than the service of our uniformed members.

Thank you Jim.

You could have added something like 'times this by about a hundred other armouries and militia training facilities across Canada.'

I wandered through one of local armouries here last week. It looked more like a haunted house.

Thank you Jim.

You could have added something like 'times this by about a hundred other armouries and militia training facilities across Canada.'

I wandered through one of local armouries here last week. It looked more like a haunted house.
You’re correct but if I can make Minto a focal point and maybe we can get some traction if others agree and write the MND and their local
MP.
I’m not trying to make it political. Armouries have been neglected for decades. The ones similar to Minto (1914 I believe) are close to being done

Infrastructure is a CAF wide problem. I work in a Hangar built in the 1950s - it is expected to collapse during a significant seismic event. We have no plans to replace this building - we just keep upgrading the HVAC and electrical. lipstick on a pig.

Queen in Regina received new windows this year. Next year will be HVAC, then new plumbing, and hopefully a boat shed added to the building. They may even replace the foundation on the west side so it won’t fall over one day. 😑

Infrastructure is a CAF wide problem. I work in a Hangar built in the 1950s - it is expected to collapse during a significant seismic event. We have no plans to replace this building - we just keep upgrading the HVAC and electrical. lipstick on a pig.

Well, at least it's not like you're on the edge of the Pacific Ring of Fire or anything... oh, wait ;)

Earthquake Tsunami GIF by Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology (IRIS)

Jim, Minto has been a problem for decades. One part of the problem is 17 Wing CE. Minto is a very low priority for funds and activity from 17 Wing.
Remember when there was no heat in Minto? We held Levee on the pde sq. The Wing Comd arrived and to put his parka on. Heating fixed shortly after.
I had to get the PMed Tech to condemn ALL the washrooms in Minto to get the WCEO to fix /renovate them.

Jim, Minto has been a problem for decades. One part of the problem is 17 Wing CE. Minto is a very low priority for funds and activity from 17 Wing.
Remember when there was no heat in Minto? We held Levee on the pde sq. The Wing Comd arrived and to put his parka on. Heating fixed shortly after.
I had to get the PMed Tech to condemn ALL the washrooms in Minto to get the WCEO to fix /renovate them.

I worked in my parka indoors. It was warmer outside.

Seems that an overhaul or replacement of armouries and other Reserve infrastructure might be a kind of defence spending that could be easily sold to Canadians with (relatively) little work and provide real benefit both to the CAF and to host communities. Lots of ribbon-cutting opportunities, too.

Seems that an overhaul or replacement of armouries and other Reserve infrastructure might be a kind of defence spending that could be easily sold to Canadians with (relatively) little work and provide real benefit both to the CAF and to host communities. Lots of ribbon-cutting opportunities, too.

Community Federal Emergency Response Management Centres.

Community Federal Emergency Response Management Centres.
While I am a firm believer that each and every armoury can serve a critical role and should have some degree of function/identification as an emergency center I also don't want them to be tasked solely to this role.

I view them as a visible known reference point, able to be accessed easily, that provides enough of a shell of a building that allows them to be tasked into either a local command post or absolutely worst case a evactuation/triage center. But I also view the role of the armoury in most civilian emergency situations to be similar to schools, arenas, community halls/legions/churches and as such should be a site considered but not the sole location used when something is going on.

As federal infrastructure I'd rather the municipality involved look first at it's municipal based options, then provincially owned options and then lastly federal infrastructure as each site will become the focus of a different type of responses and units.

While I am a firm believer that each and every armoury can serve a critical role and should have some degree of function/identification as an emergency center I also don't want them to be tasked solely to this role.

I view them as a visible known reference point, able to be accessed easily, that provides enough of a shell of a building that allows them to be tasked into either a local command post or absolutely worst case a evactuation/triage center. But I also view the role of the armoury in most civilian emergency situations to be similar to schools, arenas, community halls/legions/churches and as such should be a site considered but not the sole location used when something is going on.

As federal infrastructure I'd rather the municipality involved look first at it's municipal based options, then provincially owned options and then lastly federal infrastructure as each site will become the focus of a different type of responses and units.
Doesn't need to be planned as the "host" site for displaced people, but should probably be fitted for C3 and have hotel services in excess of what's required for weeknight and weekend PRes use, plus some reasonable stock of rations, parts, maybe fuel, and so on to sustain at least the resident units.

Good toilets and showers would be the major addition to existing facilities. Good heating system. And lots of folding cots and blankets, tables and chairs.

Just need to make sure it's clear it's EMERGENCY USE, or some genius will try putting people on routine TD up in armories to save a buck.
Depending on standard of accommodation would that be so bad?

So, in an earthquake, the Emergency RV will be beside the pile of bricks that used to be the 19th C era armoury then?

Then expect to be the last peg in the totem pole, if your not paying the bill or are the owner, you are expected to do as your told. Yea you can't have guns in here because it might upset the daycare and by the way we are planning to house the drug addicts in your messes, that won't be a problem will it? (Seriously they tried to do that at our Cadet hall).

Back