• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military chief warns China and Russia are 'at war with the West' and Canada is not ready

BC coal is really high quality, very little goes to power generation, a percentage of it goes to make carbon filters for water purifiers, the rest is for making steel.

Our wood, OTOH ;)

Wood from B.C. forests is being burned for electricity billed as green — but critics say that's deceptive

The wood pellet industry has been endorsed by Horgan, who calls it a "win-win" for the economy and the environment. B.C. Forests Minister Katrine Conroy has promoted the expansion of the sector into Asia.

Concerns about the industry and its relationship with those who oversee it were exacerbated earlier this year, when the province's longtime chief forester, Diane Nicholls, was hired by Drax as a vice-president.

"Whenever a bureaucrat jumps ship lockstep to an industry that that bureaucrat has made decisions about supporting, I think a polite term is messy," said Simpson. "I think it begs an investigation."

Horgan declined an interview with The Fifth Estate. In a statement, Conroy said Nichols was "instrumental in ushering in a new era of forest management planning" and the wood pellet industry helps reduce waste in the forest.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/wood-pellets-bc-forests-green-energy-1.6606921

Wood pellets are a useful byproduct of the Lumber industry. The real issue is the large amount of raw wood being exported and forestry industry suppression of small boutique mills that have to fight through a system that is designed around the large mills of the mid-20th century.

It's worse than that; we just drove them away.
And continue to do so…

Perhaps bailing out Bombardier every few years could have come with the condition that new management be brought in, management with a solid plan to get things on track.

Same goes with any other large companies requiring a federal bailout - the financial assistance to them comes with a condition that the same people who drove it into the ground are not the same people in charge afterwards.

The amount of taxation in Canada isn’t attracting many companies to relocate here. Over the last few years that level of taxation has skyrocketed to the point where those same companies would lose big chunks of their profits due to taxes. (Especially the carbon tax.)

We need a federal government that is business friendly, takes the initiative to attract business to Canada, and doesn’t automatically say no when a company does make a proposal just because it has to do with the energy sector.

Briefing this afternoon: Minister Anand to discuss the Indo-Pacific Strategy - Canada.ca

The BBC, on protests and happenings in China right now: China Covid: Protesters openly urge Xi to resign over China Covid curbs

Someone said recently, that Xi's consolidation of power at the latest congress marked the peak of his power and that, in all likelihood, it would only go down from here. These protests are an encouraging sign that that assessment may have been accurate. As in Iran, I do not expect that they will lead to anything immediately, but it is good to see that the Chinese have not surrendered hope and a sense of dignity. The protestors of today are keeping lit the path of the insurgents of tomorrow.

Sadly, I do expect unchecked brutality to be well within the regime's range of options.

Minister Anand announces defence and security elements of Canada’s Indo-Pacific Strategy​

Sooooo, does the Navy have the resources to do this?

Minister Anand announces defence and security elements of Canada’s Indo-Pacific Strategy​

lol, no, not sustainably.

Have they done the math on the increase in release/ divorce rates as a result of this one, I wonder? ;)

"In particular, we will boost our annual naval deployments from two to three frigates. This third frigate will sail from Canadian Forces Base Halifax to the region every year – boosting our presence, particularly in the Indian Ocean."

Have they done the math on the increase in release/ divorce rates as a result of this one, I wonder? ;)

"In particular, we will boost our annual naval deployments from two to three frigates. This third frigate will sail from Canadian Forces Base Halifax to the region every year – boosting our presence, particularly in the Indian Ocean."
Extend/modify an existing Atlantic/Med deployment to go through the Suez Canal to show the colours in the Indian Ocean?

Sure doesn't sound like "Reconstitution" does it? But don't worry...."Ready, Aye, Ready!"

Didn't realize that our frigates are autonomous and can be operated remotely. Surely, we have the manpower for all this....

CDS: We can't do what the government asks of us with the manpower and equipment we have. I order RECONSITUTION.
MND: You go do more now with what little you have like a good little soldier.

I don't think these two are on the same page.

Didn't realize that our frigates are autonomous and can be operated remotely. Surely, we have the manpower for all this....

CDS: We can't do what the government asks of us with the manpower and equipment we have. I order RECONSITUTION.

No worries, the RCN wasn't paying attention anyway! We'll probably still want to have 2-3 frigates a year nearby the Ukraine as well, and maybe a few MCDVs.

Will be a neat trick with 4 full frigate crews, and a few skeleton crews. ALl on ships which are already questionable if they should be at sea at all. Maybe will start a pool at MEPM to see whose equipment shuts down deployments first?

But it does give a solid reason for at least 15 CSC.
Also Reconstitution was not supposed to shut down Operations, just shutdown unnecessary other functions.

Extend/modify an existing Atlantic/Med deployment to go through the Suez Canal to show the colours in the Indian Ocean?

Sure doesn't sound like "Reconstitution" does it? But don't worry...."Ready, Aye, Ready!"
Sounds a bit like the Russian Baltic Fleet sailing to Vladivostok back in 1905, over and over and over again, year after year.

I fixed a few of the snippets from the article:

"From my one sided conversations with friends, allies, and partners at the forum, I was told in no uncertain terms consistently heard great enthusiasm for that lack of Canadian leadership on the world stage, as like-minded nations tackle the mounting threats to our shared was doing virtually nothing in helping today's rules-based international order."

"We will not challenge China when we ought to, we will do as little as possible to upset China and will cooperate with China whenever we want must, and we will work closely with our allies and partners only after they call us out and threaten our economic well being to help maintain peace, security, and stability in the region, by looking to convey as many meetings as possible."

"As I outlined when I visited Singapore this June for the Shangri-La Dialogue, as a Pacific nation, Canada makes several valuable contributions to regional security the pastry table, special shout out to Tim Hortons."

"Wherever I go, our allies and partners say that they want to see more of missed seeing any semblance of the Canada they knew, respected and were accustomed to back in the 1950's and 1960's."

"Today, we’re announcing an investment of 369.4 million dollars, by moving money from other severely stretched military budgets in the RCAF and Canadian Army to the RCN to maintain and increase our naval presence in the region."

"As part of this new program, Canada will lead training initiatives that focus on the Women, Peace and Security Agenda, thereby increasing awareness of gender issues across the region, informed by our work at home to build a more inclusive military because we all know that first attack wave against Taiwan will be an elite all women strike force, highlighting the superiority of the modern Chinese Communist woman/mother."

"
To conclude, these four defence initiatives, along with a meaningful Canadian contribution of 2 (two) of unopened bags of chips and 1 (one) container of dip taken together, will lead to a safer and more peaceful Indo-Pacific region."

"From my one sided conversations with friends, allies, and partners at the forum, I was told in no uncertain terms consistently heard great enthusiasm for that lack of Canadian leadership on the world stage, as like-minded nations tackle the mounting threats to our shared was doing virtually nothing in helping today's rules-based international order."

"We will not challenge China when we ought to, we will do as little as possible to upset China and will cooperate with China whenever we want must, and we will work closely with our allies and partners only after they call us out and threaten our economic well being to help maintain peace, security, and stability in the region, by looking to convey as many meetings as possible."

"As I outlined when I visited Singapore this June for the Shangri-La Dialogue, as a Pacific nation, Canada makes several valuable contributions to regional security the pastry table, special shout out to Tim Hortons."

"Wherever I go, our allies and partners say that they want to see more of missed seeing any semblance of the Canada they knew, respected and were accustomed to back in the 1950's and 1960's."

"Today, we’re announcing an investment of 369.4 million dollars, by moving money from other severely stretched military budgets in the RCAF and Canadian Army to the RCN to maintain and increase our naval presence in the region."

"As part of this new program, Canada will lead training initiatives that focus on the Women, Peace and Security Agenda, thereby increasing awareness of gender issues across the region, informed by our work at home to build a more inclusive military because we all know that first attack wave against Taiwan will be an elite all women strike force, highlighting the superiority of the modern Chinese Communist woman/mother."

"
To conclude, these four defence initiatives, along with a meaningful Canadian contribution of 2 (two) of unopened bags of chips and 1 (one) container of dip taken together, will lead to a safer and more peaceful Indo-Pacific region."
But Mélanie Joly CONVENED a meeting with the Russian Ambassador to answer for Anti-LGBTQ tweets! 😄

#WeAreBack

Or picked on BC more, because we produce wayyyyyyy more coal than steenkin' 'Berta ;)

A tale of two provinces: how coal mining plowed ahead in the B.C. Rockies while Alberta hit the brakes​

While Alberta is a coal-rich province (nearly half of the province sits atop coal deposits), B.C. produces some ten times the volume of metallurgical coal — much of it from massive mountaintop-removal coal mines in the Rockies — and is one of the world’s largest exporters of the so-called black gold. Coal is B.C.’s most valuable mined commodity.

But that's back beyond the Port Mann bridge - its in the Alberta part of BC. Or should I say the BC part of Alberta? The good part where you can sustainably destroy coal mountains, suck out natural gas, build pipe lines over fault lines and drown valleys to produce clean hydro electricity.

Um, no.

BC was opened up and run by the mining industry since before the Cariboo Gold Rush of 1858, which sparked the creation of the Province of BC. There were very few people living in the mountainous areas of South Eastern BC, so the miners didn't have to worry about public consultation much. They still don't.

Before China, BC coal was being sold to Japan in the 60s & 70s to fuel their 'economic miracle' and they ramped up like crazy to meet that demand and opened up more coal mines in Tumbler Ridge Tumbler Ridge - Wikipedia

Alberta' was always a ranching/ farming province first and it's flat, so the public has always had lots of access to everywhere. Coal and oil turned up late to the party so the ranchers and recreational users were somewhat more militant as a result. Canmore used to be a coal mining town, for example.

Mannix, Loram, Coril

Yep and we have consistently undermined and undercut our primary and secondary industries in favour of tertiary and quaternary sector.

What actually amazes me is how much we've actually let our manufacturing sector decline relative to our other G8 Nations, all of whom remain in the Top 10 Manufacturing Countries by Output.

It's surprising because I was always told that secondary economic activity will decline naturally as a Country becomes more advanced but that only appears to actually be the case for Canada. It also appears to be a deliberate choice.

This discussion actually revolves around the word "productivity".

All of these primary and secondary industries have been able to benefit from technology to make fewer workers more productive. We didn't need to shut down plants as older workers retired. We needed to hire younger workers with different skills.

The same thing is true on the pollution front. We didn't need to shut down plants because of pollution. More productive workers in more efficient plants improve profits that can be, in part, invested in making plants cleaner - and clean plants are generally safer and more efficient. Additional benefits may accrue from byproducts harvested from the captured waste streams.

My preferred example is incinerators. Some of which burn wood pellets. Some burn trash. Some burn coals of various grades. We shut them down or built them in the back of beyond in places like Swan Hills.

The Swedes built them downtown in every community. Then captured the exhaust, generated electricity and distributed the heat to the factories, warehouses, stores, apartments and houses in the neighbourhood.

This isn't all on the Canadian government. Canadian investors are truly among the most conservative anywhere. Especially the Liberal ones. Their first inclination is to find out if their is anymore Canadian Pacific money available from the government.

"

You missed a bit

I join you from the traditional territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation, the Huron-Wendat and the Haudenosaunee. Today and every day, we reaffirm our commitment towards meaningful reconciliation and respectful partnership with Indigenous peoples.

"We'll fix that reconciliation thing as soon as the Mississauga, Huron-Wendat and Haudenosaunee decide on their names and who had first claim on the land"

Back