• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Meals at Public Expense - Reserves

Brad Sallows

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Has there been any amplification of the applicable QR&O/CFAO more recent than 7210-83(DCBA 3-4) dated 31 Aug 01, of which the gist was:

"A MEAL AT CROWN EXPENSE IS NOT REQUIRED WHEN A MBR WORKS A NORMAL SHIFT AND IS GIVEN PERS TIME OFF TO CONSUME A MEAL"

"3. EFFECTIVE 1 SEP 01 MBRS ON CLASS A/B RESERVE SERVICE WHO PARADE OVER A MEAL HOUR ARE NO LONGER AUTOMATICALLY ENTITLED TO A MEAL EXPENSE. NEVERTHELESS, THIS DOES NOT PRECLUDE A CO FROM DETERMINING THAT, IN ORDER FOR UNIT RESERVE MBRS TO PARTICIPATE IN AN AUTHORIZED TRAINING SESSION OR EXERCISE OVER A MEAL HOUR, THE MEAL ALLOWANCE IS AUTHORIZED."

The current CFAO online is dated even before the one you have.  But considering it is still online, I will take that to mean it is still valid:

CFAO 210-35 -- MEAL EXPENSE -RESERVE FORCE MEMBERS ON CLASS "A" OR CLASS "B" RESERVE SERVICE, CIVILIAN CADET INSTRUCTORS AND CADETS
PURPOSE

1.    This order amplifies  QR&O 210.83 and QR (Cadets) 7.11.

GENERAL

2.    When a member of the Reserve Force on Class "A" or Class "B" Reserve
Service, a civilian cadet instructor, or a Cadet of the Sea, Army or Air
Cadets is required to attend a parade or exercise over a meal hour, and the
issue of rations in kind is not practical, he shall be paid Meal Expense at
the rate prescribed in  QR&O 210.83.

ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES AND SETTLEMENT OF CLAIMS

3.    At the conclusion of the parade or exercise the commanding officer
shall:

a.  prepare form CF 52, General Allowance Claim, in triplicate,
          showing -

(1)  name and location of the unit,

(2)  period and date of the parade or exercise,

(3)  authority for the parade or exercise, and

(4)  number of meals required;

b.  add the following certification to the claim -"Certified that
          this claim is correct and that attendance records have been
          checked and reflect that all personnel for whom a meal is claimed
          were present at the relevant parade or exercise";

c.  attach to the claim a nominal roll of personnel attending the
          parade or exercise; and

d.  sign and pass the original two copies of the claim to the base
          comptroller or accounting officer for action in accordance with
          A-FN-100-002/AG-004 DND Financial Administration Manual,
          Chapter 61.

(C)                                    1605-210-35 (DPS)

Issued 28 Jan 83

INDEX

Expenses
Meals

and the QR&O that it refers to states: (210.83: REPEALED BY T.B. 829184 OF 28 AUGUST 2001 EFFECTIVE 1 SEPTEMBER 2001)

I think it's great when navymich gets the overnight duty shift - - it gives her time to go through CFAOs for us.
Maybe she should do more duties   >:D

Journeyman said:
I think it's great when navymich gets the overnight duty shift - - it gives here time to go through CFAOs for us.
Maybe she should do more duties   >:D

Yeh, what a great idea, more duties NOT, but thanks for thinking of me anyway JM.  :D

navymich said:
... the QR&O that it refers to states: (210.83: REPEALED BY T.B. 829184 OF 28 AUGUST 2001 EFFECTIVE 1 SEPTEMBER 2001)

This QR&O has been replaced by Compensation and Benefit Instruction (CBI) 210.83, which reads:

210.83 - MEAL EXPENSE - RESERVE FORCE ON CLASS "A" RESERVE SERVICE OR CLASS "B" RESERVE SERVICE
(1) (Meal expense) An officer or non-commissioned member of the Reserve Force on Class "A" or Class "B" Reserve Service who is entitled to rations under QR&O 36.35 - (Entitlement to Rations), over a meal hour shall, if a meal cannot be provided from Government sources, be paid either
(a) a meal expense without receipt equivalent to the national average cost of a dispersed lunch meal produced by a Canadian Forces dining facility for visiting units and personnel as determined annually by the Chief of the Defence Staff, or
(b) a meal expense supported by a receipt not to exceed the meal allowance rate for a lunch established by the Treasury Board for the public service.
(2) (Payment of expense) The expense described in paragraph (1) is payable in the manner established by the Chief of the Defence Staff.

(effective 13 June 2002)
Amendment 1

In addition, the following message cancels the one Brad Sallows noted in the opening post:

SUBJ: MEAL EXPENSE - RESERVE FORCE MEMBERS ON CLASS A OR B RESERVE SVC, CADET INSTRUCTORS, CIVILIAN INSTRUCTORS AND CADETS

1. THIS MSG SUPERCEDES REF A. PARA 3 IN THE FRENCH TEXT HAS BEEN ALTERED TO RELECT TB S TRANSLATION

2. THIS MSG IS PROVIDED TO CLARIFY REFS B AND C. THE MEAL ALLOWANCE BENEFIT AT REFS B AND C IS INTENDED TO PROVIDE LIMITED FINANCIAL REIMBURSEMENT FOR MEALS TO RESERVISTS ON CLASS A AND B SVC, CADET INSTRUCTORS, CIVILIAN INSTRUCTORS AND CADETS. THE ALLOWANCE SHALL BE PAID WHEN ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET:

A. WHEN THE RES F MBR MEETS THE CRITERIA FOR ENTITLEMENT TO MEALS AND RATIONS AT PUBLIC EXPENSE AT REF D SUB PARAS YANKEE (Y) OR ALPHA ALPHA (AA), AND

B. WHEN THE PROVISION OF HARD RATIONS, FRESH RATIONS, COOKED MEALS, AND BOX LUNCHES CANNOT BE PROVIDED BY THE UNIT OR THE PROVISION IS NOT PRACTICAL

3. THE CURRENT RATE FOR MEAL EXPENSE WITHOUT A RECEIPT IS 8.30 CAD

4. THE RATE FOR MEAL EXPENSES WITH A RECEIPT IS NOT TO EXCEED THE MEAL ALLOWANCE RATE FOR A LUNCH ESTABLISHED BY TREASURY BOARD FOR THE PUBLIC SERVICE

5. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY REFS E
(the message questioned by Brad Sallows), F, G AND H ARE CANCELLED

6. QUESTIONS RE THIS MSG SHOULD BE DIRECTED, THROUGH THE APPROPRIATE CHAIN OF COMMAND, TO DCBA 2-4

Thank you Haggis.  I knew there was something more current out there, but I forgot about CBIs.

Haggis said:
Quote from: navymich on Today at 02:01:18
... the QR&O that it refers to states: (210.83: REPEALED BY T.B. 829184 OF 28 AUGUST 2001 EFFECTIVE 1 SEPTEMBER 2001)
This QR&O has been replaced ...

Gee Mich, I guess you do need to do a few more midnight shifts  >:D

I figured there had to be something more recent than 2001.  Thanks Haggis.  I've found the text on DCBA's portion of the public D-Net.

Back