• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Matthew McConaughey and Uvalde

On finding consensus ....

Article by a Texas businessman and lawyer

I recently spoke at a breakfast and asked how many were pro-life and pro-choice. It was about 50-50. I then suggested we try to write an abortion law. I asked how many thought abortions should be illegal in all circumstances with no exceptions. No one raised their hand. I then asked how many thought there should be absolutely no restrictions on abortions. No one raised their hand.

I then took a vote on when abortion restrictions should kick in. About 12-15 weeks was supported by about two-thirds of the room. About the same percentage supported exceptions later than 12-15 weeks for the mother’s health, fetal deformity, and rape/incest. So, a room that was, at first blush, polarized over abortion quickly found that a large majority agreed on the policy that should be enacted. And they also discovered that no one in the room supported the extreme positions currently reflected in the platforms of the Republican and Democratic parties.

The truth is that we have a political system that routinely frustrates the will of the American people.

1667261773320.png

With this litmus test we have 19% of the population entrenched at one end of the spectrum and 8% at the other. The other 73% are in the "Yes but " camp - open to rational debate and consideration.

Where's that party?

Interesting debate on line

This article sparked it - a classic "Oops! - Nevermind!"

But this article is most noteworthy, in my opinion, because it reflects the anger upsetting western politics in general and US politics in particular. A large portion of society, a portion inclined to give authority the benefit of the doubt, now doubts authority.

Classic Red vs Blue in the US.

Classic Red vs Blue in the US.

The thing is, I think, the author of the second article, sounds like a classic blue supporter. But she has had her nose knocked out of joint and is now a born again red supporter.

Americans - can't get anything right. :p Got the political party colours ass-backwards. Blue is for conservative /the Right, and Red is for liberal/the Left.

Back