• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistics vs. Intelligence Officer Navy Reserve

agrovue

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

I applied to the Navy Reserve as IntO but the trade wasn't open, enrolled as LogO, and IntO is now open and I am eligible to transfer.  I have completed BMOQ and will likely do trades training in summer 2018.  My CO is prepared to endorse my transfer request to IntO but has provided some arguments in favour of staying with LogO.  I have talked to LogOs and IntOs at my unit, but would appreciate any additional insight from any NAVRES Logs/Ints out there.

Pros of Log vs. Int

- In the long-term, greater potential for promotion beyond Lt(N) and therefore more interesting Class B/C opportunities later in career (I'm told Int tends to max out at Lt(N))
- A "real" job at the NRD during regular Class A/training year vs Int, in which I'd primarily be training (vs doing actual Int work)
- More visibility/face-time with command team
- Easier to shine - I have a strong business background, LogOs are more in demand at my unit, vs. Int where I'd be one among many

Cons of Log vs Int
- Potentially boring, administrative work in the Class A day-to-day, certainly in my early years
- I'm very interested in doing and learning Int work and may regret not going for what for me is the more interesting route
- Greater interruption to civilian career - two summers needed off versus one in IntO
- Letting go of a dream I've had for many years (to work in Int)

Neutral
- Both have opportunities for short and long term deployments/operations
- Both could lead to opportunities with Naval Security Team and/or CANSOFCOM

I'd appreciate any comments on the above (agree, disagree) or anything else I haven't mentioned.

Thanks!

Ali

What's your degree in? Int is firmly in the ''any degree is fine' category, while Log seems to go back and forth on requiring certain specific degrees or not. But that's more of a Reg Force thing; what your degree is usually isn't an issue with the PRes, but it's just something to consider if the possibility of a future transfer to the Regular Force is anywhere in the cards.

Ostrozac said:
What's your degree in? Int is firmly in the ''any degree is fine' category, while Log seems to go back and forth on requiring certain specific degrees or not. But that's more of a Reg Force thing; what your degree is usually isn't an issue with the PRes, but it's just something to consider if the possibility of a future transfer to the Regular Force is anywhere in the cards.

Nope... the educational requirements for LogO are consistent between RegF and ResF...

In addition to the basic enrollment requirements for all applicants, as of 18 Jan 2016 Logistics Officer applicants may hold, or be in a course of study leading to a Baccalaureate degree in the following areas:

Accounting, Business Admin, Commerce, Economics, Finance, Food Business Management, Food Sciences, Hospitality Management, Human Resources Management, Industrial Relations, Nutrition/Dietetics, Public Administration, and Supply Chain Management.

Other Baccalaureate and Graduate degrees may be considered on a case by case basis.

Back