• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

It's Tough But

Tactical Flight Officer, the member in the back seat of the helicopters calling the shots, and FSOC Border Integrity. I don't like my chances for either.

Ummm….we are hiring Air Combat Systems Officers, ATM.

I have just over 2000hrs doing that sort of work in the back of helicopter.

Just sayin…

But in either case, you’d have to tolerate deal with pilots…uuugh. 😖

Back on topic, I like the ad. It starts off a bit dark, but ends by showing a brighter side of the job - personal satisfaction.

The real disappointment is that it's a union ad, not an RCMP ad. That being said, I dare my union to do better.

I wonder what the age of the average recruit is.

In our town, you can join the 9-1-1 services at 18.

I wonder what the age of the average recruit is.
For my Agency, based on the last few classes I've taught, the average age is 18-55. :cool: Some are starting life, others are on a second career. The oldest recruit I recall was 58.

Oh dude. Every time C.B. posts his TFO photos I’m so jealous. What a job that would be. See if you can get a spot in an auto theft unit; my understanding is they work with Air 1 a whole ton.

Are you dead set on staying out west? The tricky part with Fed is getting in. Once you’re fed, getting over to BI isn’t a super big deal. Obviously the pickier you are about location, the harder.

I'm prepared to move for the right job. We work a lot with Air 1 on GD in Surrey, there's always something on the go.

I've worked a lot with the Border Integrity types here in the last two years and that's the FSOC job I want. Patrol, uniform, marked car, chasing drug runners and gun smugglers. All that plainclothes office work FFSOC does isn't for me.

Ummm….we are hiring Air Combat Systems Officers, ATM.

I have just over 2000hrs doing that sort of work in the back of helicopter.

Just sayin…

I have a diploma, not a degree so I can't commission. Also, pay. And I don't want to sit on my can somewhere waiting for years on end for training.

I've worked a lot with the Border Integrity types here in the last two years and that's the FSOC job I want. Patrol, uniform, marked car, chasing drug runners and gun smugglers. All that plainclothes office work FFSOC does isn't for me.

I really appreciate that you’re targeting something specific- that you just don’t want to go federal so you’re operationally irrelevant and not having to do work anymore. I really respect that. 🫡

I really appreciate that you’re targeting something specific- that you just don’t want to go federal so you’re operationally irrelevant and not having to do work anymore. I really respect that. 🫡
But if there weren’t jammy Federal gigs, the who would take all the OT to backstop protective?

I'm prepared to move for the right job. We work a lot with Air 1 on GD in Surrey, there's always something on the go.

I have a diploma, not a degree so I can't commission. Also, pay. And I don't want to sit on my can somewhere waiting for years on end for training.
Hey- I gotta try!

BTW, we also have sensor operators position open that do not need a degree and the trg backlog is pretty much nil, if the security clearance comes thru quickly (which it would in your case).

Mind you, the cut in pay until you hit the qualifications for spec pay would be…significant.

That’s what happens when when you try to build law enforcement functions out of an agency rooted in customs and excise collection.
It's been almost 20 years since the formation of the CBSA. To say the agency has an identity crisis would be an understatement. Sadly, it's not all their own doing.

It's been almost 20 years since the formation of the CBSA. To say the agency has an identity crisis would be an understatement. Sadly, it's not all their own doing.
I work a lot with their front line guys and middle managers. To say its an agency in crisis is an understatement. It seems most of their members point to their senior management being appointments from other government agencies and departments who have no law enforcement background who are felt by the membership to only be there to put in their time and gather competencies for their next rung in the public service rank structure being the main problem. And also an institutional fear of using their authorities and defending them in court, given how broad they are.

Which is why I'm there so often, they'll punt anything with the risk of actual investigation or charges to the "Police of Jurisdiction".

I work a lot with their front line guys and middle managers. To say its an agency in crisis is an understatement. It seems most of their members point to their senior management being appointments from other government agencies and departments who have no law enforcement background who are felt by the membership to only be there to put in their time and gather competencies for their next rung in the public service rank structure being the main problem. And also an institutional fear of using their authorities and defending them in court, given how broad they are.

Which is why I'm there so often, they'll punt anything with the risk of actual investigation or charges to the "Police of Jurisdiction".

My wife loves their TV program though ;)

My neighbour is Dir. Ops. I feel for him and others trying to make it work.

Back