• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

hostility to CT

Maple1eaf

Inactive
Reaction score
I brought up my desire to CT from Pres - Reg to my chain of command the other day and they seemed less than pleased; telling me to ask about it at a later date. any time i have brought it up has been brushed off or down right ignored.

I worry that my regiment might be trying to keep the numbers up and am wondering if there would be any merit in going to speak with a recruiter about the CT?

Things may have changed from when I did my CT/OT in 2007, but the Res unit had very little to do with the process.  Aside from a quick CO's recommendation (not for the change itself but more like a "reference letter" for lack of a better term), CFRC processed it very similar to as if I applied from the street, obviously without the admin duplication.

I'd head down to CFRC and have a chat. 

Your unit can't stop you or even hinder you (unless, I think,  you're in the middle of some kind of disciplinary or the administrative issue)
Put a memo in to your change of command to let them know you're transferring just as a courtesy.

Reserve units sometime think they are they are the center of the cf and try to keep the members.

They also shouldn't use your ct as a deciding factor in whether you are loaded on various courses or taskings. Until then you walk out the door you're a member of that unit and deserve to be treated in accordance with someone if your rank experience and meriting.
Make sense?

Edited for grammar

CTs take a while to process. I have a member who has been waiting almost 2 years for his.

Considering that the average we keep a troop is ~3 years, starting the CT process generally means we will keep someone a little longer than average all told.

Nevermind taking care of the welfare of your troops. What message does it send to everyone when your leaders deny you something out of (even just apparently) selfish needs?

The vast majority of reservist will not stay with a unit for long. Deal with it. Those that stay longer need to see that you are willing to take care of them. Loyalty goes both ways... What would Dick Winters do?

ObedientiaZelum said:
They also shouldn't use your ct as a deciding factor in whether you are loaded on various courses or taskings. Until you walk out the door you're a member of that unit and deserve to be treated in accordance with someone of your rank experience and meriting.
Make sense?

This is unfortunately not the norm. PRes units get the funding from numbers of pers parading and they hate to lose soldiers that they feel they have spent time and money to train. I have several soldiers in various stages of CT and have told my clerks to help them in every way IE filling out the electronic form if they don't have DWAN access. I still send them on taskings and courses for the very reason that it will take awhile for their CT and there is no guarantee that when the offer comes it will be excepted. Treat your soldiers right and the will work for you. Besides part of the Reserves mission is to supply soldiers to the Regular Force, be it through augmentation or CT.

You may find the CFRC has little to do with the straight CT process.  There is an online form you fill out that is only on the DIN IIRC.  I'm not at work today, maybe someone can assist and PM you the link or form or something. 

http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgmc/engraph/ComponentTxfer_e.asp?Opensub=33

DWAN only, so you will need to find a work computer to do it on.

My CT was almost 6 years ago, so things have changed process wise, however just to share my experience.

My CT went through shortly after returning from deployment.  I was also on a long-term class B contract outside of my unit in the NCR.

Part of clearing out was a meeting with my RSM. She wasn't very subtle about her displeasure with my CT. Comments like "You work this class B, go overseas, gain this great experience, and you're going to abandon this unit?". To which I replied that she was trying to force me on the PRL, so my CT would be moot either way.

Other than her, I received nothing but support from the other levels in my unit. And she signed my clearing-out sheet regardless, because there wasn't anything she could do to stop it.

I'm going to ask this on a hunch, but are you (the OP) on BMQ at the moment? Did you ask the chain of command at your unit, or on a course?

a Sig Op said:
I'm going to ask this on a hunch, but are you (the OP) on BMQ at the moment? Did you ask the chain of command at your unit, or on a course?

Thankfully no ;D. It was my CoC at my unit

I have seen this before and experienced it. From both sides, as the member and the supervisor.  A reserve unit is given a certain number of positions a year they can fill through recruiting (one year recently it was 14 at the unit I was posted to). Often it is a bitch of a time getting a recruit from stepping in the door to putting on a uniform. As reserve regiments tend to do their own recruiting they have a lot more invested in those potential spots then CFRC.  Now the unit spends up to three years (depending on trade, availability, etc) getting a recruit to a qualified troop. Now said recruit is qualified, realizes he likes the CF and puts in a CT.

From a global CF perspective, the reserve unit did exactly what it is supposed to. They acted as to augment the regular force training system. The Regular Force now gets a qualified soldier with out spending the resources in recruiting, housing, paying, etc. normally required to get said troop. The Reg force gods are happy.

Now look at it from the Reserve Unit's point of view. They just spent a large portion of their available resources on a person who contributed nothing, in the long term, to the continued health of the unit. Pte/CPls are easy to find it is much harder to find Sgts, and WO who take years to develop. In addition, it is often the ones with the best potential who leave to the regular force. It is also incredibly common for a reservist to go on a tour or a tasking and put in his CT as soon as he gets back because he has had regular force guys recruiting him the whole time. I have even been guilty of this myself. It can be very frustrating and you may be feeling that.

That said, if you want to do it, just do it. Don't burn any bridges because it is not helpful to anyone. In fact, the best way to get quality Sgts and WOs is to have them retire to the Reserves. Maybe you will go back one day as a sgt.

There exists no requirement to inform your PRes unit of any intent to CT.  While it is open and honest to inform them, this can often have a unfair and negative impact on the member.

Consider you put in for a CT and inform your chain of command and you find yourself no longer getting taskings and courses.  6-12 months later you get an email from D Mil C saying your request is closed cause your desired trade(s) are not open.  You just shot yourself in the foot, have been getting punished when in reality, you didn't really have a CT being processed... You had a delayed denial letter.

To quickly review the process before going further, The CT process kind of looks like this.

1). Apply online using DWAN
2). Receive confirmation email from D Mil C that they got your request (auto generated)
3). You wait
4). You might get an email saying your trade(s) are closed
Or
You are required to update your Express test or Medical.
5). You wait
6). You get an email from D Mil C telling you your local CFRC will be contacting you and some instructions directed to your Chief Clerk telling them to send stuff from your Pers file to the CFRC.  Or if you were already MOSID qualified you get the yes/no email.
7). Get a call to book an interview and maybe CFAT and or TSD exam.
8). You make your appointments and the results are sent to D Mil C.
9). You get the yes/no email.

At around step 6 is when you find out if you really have a CT to process. At that point your unit is informed only because they need to provide info from your Pers file.  They have NO AUTHORITY to block, deny or even pause to ponder your CT.  I have helped many members through this problem and have taken those issues strait to D Mil C.  They are a heavy puncher and have pull in these situations.  Even if a member is undergoing disciplinary action, an email should be sent to D Mil C by the recruiting centre for them to determine if processing continues.  (Seen it go both ways)

CFRCs only do the interviews and tests they are told to do on behalf of D Mil C.  They do not run CTS so I strongly advise you dont show up at your CFRC because unless they were sent a request, which you would be CC'd on, they dont know you exist.  HOWEVER, if your file has been pushed to the CFRC and your unit is causing problems, call the CFRC and ask to speak to the file manager handling CTs (as most do have this position) and they can likely help.

Proud_Canadian said:
At around step 6 is when you find out if you really have a CT to process. At that point your unit is informed only because they need to provide info from your Pers file.  They have NO AUTHORITY to block, deny or even pause to ponder your CT.  I have helped many members through this problem and have taken those issues strait to D Mil C.  They are a heavy puncher and have pull in these situations.  Even if a member is undergoing disciplinary action, an email should be sent to D Mil C by the recruiting centre for them to determine if processing continues.  (Seen it go both ways)

Slight caveat.

The unit CAN intervene in a CT by going straight to D Mil C, but only with a pressing reason.  Stopped a CT a few days before the transfer date after a significant police report showed up on the CO's desk.  That led to a grievance, which failed.  Long story short, you cannot release from the PRes as a means to avoid disciplinary action, and the CT brokers were very responsive to the unit in this situation.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of a relatively quick CT? I always hear between 6-12 months but is it quicker for trades tht are in shortage? Is it quicker time to apply? Say around posting season?

Beezer said:
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of a relatively quick CT? I always hear between 6-12 months but is it quicker for trades tht are in shortage? Is it quicker time to apply? Say around posting season?

I was a straight CT, no OT, and flash to offer in my inbox was 3 months. Your mileage may vary.

We have a guy just CTed start to finish from PRes Infantry to RegF MARS in four months.

Brihard said:
We have a guy just CTed start to finish from PRes Infantry to RegF MARS in four months.

Sure that wasn't DEO or ROTP?

Back