• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

history of regimental coin

attaboy coin? tour coin? i guess there more then one style of challenge coin out there. I won't lie, i have seen other coins out there. It's just that i always thought the regimental coin with your own specific number was the only one that truly mattered. As it was proof that you really did serve in that particular unit.

They're accepted as a second piece of identification by most major banks, but you'll still need a primary form of photo identification with a picture of the coin.

(Edit: If you ever need a fake ID.... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MILNET-CA-Canadas-Military-Network-Challenge-Coin-/400178032672?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d2c783020 though it seems it's actually cheaper to subscribe to the website http://army.ca/subscribe/ and get one for free then get a bogus coin from an unscroupulous manufacturer )

Yup. Had to slap myself up-side the head... Kinetic energy. Possible concussion,,
OSONS. Yo Zipperhead's. Bold and Swift. Scoty B

I think they're sort of neat, a nice souvenier if nothing else... a nice way to give somone a pat on the back for a job well done... I've got a sack of them around somewhere. Most proud of my HOC and Chimo coins from CFS Alert.

Then again, a couple of years ago, we had a cpl who was a bit of a a**-hat, he had some sort of challenge coin, and was going around showing it to new privates, then demanding they buy him drinks because they didn't have a coin to reply with... I smacked him in the back of the head and told him to f-off.

I realise "smack to the back of the head" is no longer a sanctioned or authorized leadership action, but it seemed appropriate and suitable at the time. Of course the coin wasn't the root of the problem.

Hey, Chris. I read your reply (and had a good laugh to boot), and was quite energized at the prospect that you may have some insight over a decades-old problem I've been trying to solve. I was in Alert (thankfully during the light season from Apr. to Oct.) back in 1991, and while there I was given a challenge coin from the Black Phreep Sqn. (See attached photo of the plaque while I was there). Since the mid '90s, I have been trying to locate a replacement one, but after trying for so long, I figured it would be easier to find the answer to the missing link than to find anyone who had knowledge of where I could get one. While you mentioned the House of Chimo (of which I would imagine you were part of the '...Tactical Squadron' - 'nuff said about that), I am hoping you may be able to help an ex-CFS Alert'er with some clues about trying to track down the vendor / person / entity of the BP Sqn. Coins. Of course I would be willing to pay for this as it was a neat item, and certainly not a run of the mill collectible. Much obliged for any assistance (or clues) you can provide, mate!

Attachments

• BPSqnPlaque-1991.png
    BPSqnPlaque-1991.png
    978.8 KB · Views: 10
I remember they gave everyone a coin that was about 2 or 3 inches wide who participated in the Battle of York Parade about ten years ago. Instead of handing them out to people, they were placed inside the box lunches that were handed out after the parade. There were a couple people who tried to eat them thinking that they were chocolate.

Back