• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hi, New Here

U

UnderhillW

Hello,

(To the staff) I'm sorry if there is a thread that I could have followed, but there are so many that I couldn't find one pertaining to my situation. Please correct me if I have violated any etiquette rules.

I am 22 years old, married with one child (1 1/2 year old). I am currently in my 3rd year of a Bachelor of Arts degree, Major English, Minor History.

I have set my sights on a career in the army, and I am planning to apply in Jan. 2005. I want to join because I have always been intrigued by the lifestyle and the discipline it would bring to my life, but I am more seriously considering it because of job security and opportunity for advancement. To date, I have very little to show for my efforts other than a slightly higher than average GPA, no concrete career outlook and an enormous student loan debt, not to mention the money my father has contributed. I have yet to truly do anything on my own, or to bring in any money to support my own family.

My question, to anyone who might be able to share some insight or a common story, is: Is this decision a good one, concerning my situation? Are my motives in the right direction? My wife and I have discussed it at great length, and she is both supportive and aware of the implications of being a military wife. I feel that both of our minds are in the right place to make this decision, but I also wonder if we are idealizing the situation too much and that we might find that the decision would leave us no better off, or perhaps worse.

I will appreciate any input on this subject.

Wesley Underhill

Have you thought about joining the reserves?  It would let you start doing something, it would allow you to start making some money, and it would give you a feel for the Army.

I am in a similar situation. The reserves seems like the most viable option for my family and I am quite happy with that. I'm not sure how long you've been on these boards, but take a while to scan the threads that pertain to you. There is a wealth of information here, and it really helped influence my decision. (Not that I have got too far yet; I have yet to formally apply). Explore the CF website and recruiting website if you haven't already. (I'm sure you have). Your local recruiter will help alot, too.
AL

I followed a similar path.   After my BComm my wife and I moved west for jobs.   The deal was that if she couldn't find her career, I would be able to join the military (now she's joining and we couldn't be happier).   There is a lot of questions you have to address.   Depending on what you plan to apply for, Officer I assume, then being away from your family is the biggest concern.   I'm Logistics and I received my full posting (meaning having everything moved) right out of BOTC, actually after the 8 months of French, so I was only away from my family for 1yr.   Any other trade, they do not receive a full posting until after all their training is complete which can take 3 years! :eek:   After this hurdle, just have to deal with tours and being gone for 8mths every 3yrs (give or take).   Remember that the recruiting centre doesn't have all the answers and everyone here has their own take on how things are done.   Your best bet is to decide what you're trade will be and ask those in that trade.

Don't be afraid to ask, we're here to help.

Cheers :warstory:

I would consider not joining the reserves. For a few reasons:
  • you sound like you need/want a full time career and income after you graduate
  • you are relatively near graduation (your application time to the CF may exceed your time in school) even if you have another year in school

If you were just at the beginning of your degree and wanted to try the military, the reserves could be a good option. You would get some experience and make a little money. But, the reserves is not a prerequisite for the regular force and a reserve application now might slow down the start of a full time career.

I would visit CFRC (the recruiting centre) soon (why wait till Jan 2005?) and start finding out what entry program and military career is right for you. I would also start pursuing other career options that may interest you like; RCMP, public service etc. many of these also have long application processes.

Get has much info has you can, think critically and make your own decision.

Good luck!

Back