• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hazing thrives in organizations obsessed with conformity... - CBC Opinion

Lumber said:
Is any "initiation" ritual considered "hazing"? We have a lot of initiation rituals in the Navy, but I wouldn't call them "hazing". Some are voluntary, some are not.

For example, "7 days at sea". When a sailor has been at sea for 7 straight days for the first time in their career, their wingers usually surprise them on watch with a pie to the face, or an raw eggs shampooing. Technically, you could call this textbook assault, but I've never heard anyone complain, and msot of the sailors I've seen come away smiling, I assume because the feeling of accomplishment (i.e. "I'm a real sailor now") and camaraderie.

In 86 it was meatballs and “spunk” (yogurt - I hope).
Further down thread there is a note about Cracky. I can confirm this, I was on Adelaide at the time, there was a cross pol HT from Kootenay. Red headed LS with a beard. They chased him quite a bit, and when the deed was complete there was a banyan, 2 cracked beers each and the ships rock band performed a shockingly vulgarized version of Highway to Hell. Officers including XO present.

Back in the bad old days we had a ceremony for young gunners on their TQ3 course. While under training they were referred to as privates and wore the CF cap badge. Finally the magic day arrived when each fired his or her first live round downrange. The CO and RSM appeared and proceeded down the ranks, congratulating them and addressing each as "Gunner." And for a finale, they lined up and tossed their cornflakes into the weeds, with "Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt" prominent on their berets and engrained in their psyches. 

Back