• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Green passport and RCN travel. [Merged]

Dimsum said:
I'm not sure what the issue is.  Mbr takes both to theatre (on gov't aircraft), hands off to OR.  On HLTA, OR gives blue passport.  After return, mbr hands back blue passport.  At end of tour, Mbr takes both back to Canada.

I'd think that the OR, where it's secure (or as secure as reasonably possible) with a bunch of people able to quickly give out the passports, would be better than the mbr having them in the field.

Actually, if I remember correctly (it has been almost ten years), when we left Canada our passports of both colours merely accompanied us on the flight (they were divided by chalk and the rearranged in theatre to be divided by leave block). As we weren't leaving the airports in any of the places we made stops, we didn't need to be in possession of either of our passports. Memories of Cyprus post-tour are hazy, but I think at that point we were given our blue ones (but not green) and stamped in and out with those.

Furniture said:
They don't stamp your passport when you make a port visit, so the only stamps are from leave/LTA. My passport has places like Thailand, Malaysia, Germany, Spain and Portugal. It doesn't matter who sees that I've been to any of those places, other than making a few people jealous.

Ya thats what I was originally sailing under but under my latest (2016) RCN deployment the local customs officials stamped them on board.  Weird eh ?  They would come on with the ships agent and currency exchange guy usually.  I deploy again in 2020 so we will see how that one goes I guess.

Depending on trade you may alternatively be issued a purple passport.

Dimsum said:
I'm not sure what the issue is.  Mbr takes both to theatre (on gov't aircraft), hands off to OR.  On HLTA, OR gives blue passport.  After return, mbr hands back blue passport.  At end of tour, Mbr takes both back to Canada.

I'd think that the OR, where it's secure (or as secure as reasonably possible) with a bunch of people able to quickly give out the passports, would be better than the mbr having them in the field.

In the last 35 years, I have never lost an important personal document.  I cannot the say the same about my supporting ORs. 

Pusser said:
In the last 35 years, I have never lost an important personal document.  I cannot the say the same about my supporting ORs.

Nor have I and the OR at my regiment managed to lose one of my documents within 20 minutes of me giving it to them!

My Unit is asking for my blue passport for APRV but I paid for it on my own. Was the military supposed to pay for my blue passport? Weird they are asking for it when they didn’t pay for it or ask me to have one. Is there a DAOD or QR&O that says I have to give my blue passport to my unit?

Do they want to keep it or just see it so they can record your passport number and date of expiry? I have never heard of a unit holding onto a blue passport before.

Because of Covid, it was an absolute poop show to get me a green passport to go to Bahrain. So I travelled on my blue and the Green one is sitting in a vault somewhere in Ottawa.
When I sailed, I don't think I even brought a passport with me. It was safer to keep it at home. For sure I'd never give the passport to the ships office.

From what I have seen, these days the standard is to always sail with your Blue passport. Even if you're just doing local sailing it's not uncommon to have a US port as the closest one on either coast, and having your passport makes repatriation significantly simpler for unexpected admin, medical, compassionate, etc flights home to Canada.

I didn't get a green passport until I was posted to the NCR. From what I've seen, they are a hassle to get for little to no advantage for a ship's company (as far as flying to or from a ship abroad goes).

If I recall correctly, I believe that there's a mechanism by which members can be reimbursed for the cost of renewing (having issued?) their passport, at least in the RCN. I would defer to a finance type though.

Back