• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Warming/Climate Change Super Thread

See if you weren't so environmentally conscious, you'd be driving an AMG. A real one, not the ones with the AMG trim level. ;)
They do sound good, that’s for sure!

Maybe because Alberta uses machinery to dig and transport. Maybe because Alberta has a reclamation and rejuvenation plan for old sites. Maybe because Alberta follows Health and Safety legislation for workers that doesn't allow for 10 year old children to dig with their hands, so Red China can take advantage of them.
That’s not what it looks like based on even the slightest bit of research. It’s absurd that you’re feigning concern about mining in a different place but you’re OK with magnitudes more of the same in your own backyard.

As far as I am concerned if you don't own a modern pick up, I think you should. They are so very capable and efficient now. And the idea that a person who owns a truck should be traveling goat paths is stupid. Most trucks haul campers, hockey bags, ATVs and loads of material from Home Depot.

They have this new device that you can attach to many other vehicles to accomplish these tasks. I get it if you’re going to Home Depot daily, but most people aren’t doing that.

EVs are great and all, but at least we don't have to plan our long-distance driving around EV charging stations, never mind the extra time you waste sitting at a supercharger station in -20c where battery range and performance is already reduced.
For most EVs the charging locations are integrated with the navigation so the car does this planning for you, and some of them preheat the battery when it knows you’re going there to charge. For me, the kids need to stop more frequently and for longer than what’s required to charge, YMMV. Works for the 1 or 2 road trips a year, the other 99% of the time it’s nice to never have to go to the gas station because it’s full every morning. Bonus feature: it preheats in the garage so you can set it for the cabin to be warmed up at your normal departure time, with the garage door closed.

For most EVs the charging locations are integrated with the navigation so the car does this planning for you, and some of them preheat the battery when it knows you’re going there to charge. For me, the kids need to stop more frequently and for longer than what’s required to charge, YMMV. Works for the 1 or 2 road trips a year, the other 99% of the time it’s nice to never have to go to the gas station because it’s full every morning.

The trips we do don't have charging stations or make it completely impractical. EVs don't work in Canada, for the most part, unless you are primarily a city dweller with a garage. I would reconsider my position on EVs when they start making them the size of Yukons and Expeditions with a range equal to or better than the gas versions. Oh yeah, and don't cost $40k more than the top level gas trim.

They have this new device that you can attach to many other vehicles to accomplish these tasks. I get it if you’re going to Home Depot daily, but most people aren’t doing that.

lol my beater truck cost less then that.

Thanks tips. I have one of those and a 40 ft camper. And a truck bed. They all have their separate uses.

If you don't want a pick up don't buy one. And if you don't like other people buying them that's cool too. And if you voice that, we're also allowed to tell you take a hike; you don't get a say in what others want to spend their cash on.

I'm sure if I dissected your life id find things you spend cash I think are superfluous. But guess what ? I don't give a who ha. It's your cash enjoy it, you earned it.

To sum up:

mind it talk show GIF by iOne Digital

Yup, so that's an opinion. Who are you to decide what's practical or impractical for another individual ?

If a condo owner wants a jacked 2500 coal roller that's their business and they have to deal with it, good or bad. But you don't get a say.

As for usefulness in the winter. I don't know why anyone would by a 2 wheel drive truck, but again that's a choice for them not me. I know I love watching cars struggle through weather while I plow on in 4H. 4x4 and aggressive tires and Ive never been stopped.
Yes, it was an opinion, just like yours was:

As far as I am concerned if you don't own a modern pick up, I think you should

I made no pronouncement on what other people should or should not drive. You're starting to sounds like you're yelling at clouds.

EVs don't work in Canada, for the most part, unless you are primarily a city dweller with a garage.
Sure there’s some outliers but works fine for the vast majority, these guys drove a Model 3 across Canada in Feb to show that.

Yes, it was an opinion, just like yours was:

I made no pronouncement on what other people should or should not drive. You're starting to sounds like you're yelling at clouds.

I'm a truck fan myself, but if you're an urban dweller who's only need is to drive to work and pick-up groceries, they are wildly impractical. You woulld struggle to get them into a condo parking spot, townhouse garage or even a lot of retail parking spots the way they are painting them now. Unless you go AWD, an empty truck has fairly usless winter traction. Manufacturers love them - their profit margin is about 4x that of a passenger car.

The difference between you and I is I don't throw shade or question or judge what people buy with their money. So I say again, who are you to decide what's practical or impractical for another ?

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Close enough......seems like you think you only need one to "leave the pavement".
I said, or perhaps meant, that it’s ridiculous that people complain about the price of gas to drive their enormous vehicles by themselves to downtown. I get that for some people these vehicles are utilitarian, but others want to eat their cake and have it too. You can buy whatever monstrosity you want, but quit bitchin about the price to go with your choice.

I said, or perhaps meant, that it’s ridiculous that people complain about the price of gas to drive their enormous vehicles by themselves to downtown. I get that for some people these vehicles are utilitarian, but others want to eat their cake and have it too. You can buy whatever monstrosity you want, but quit bitchin about the price to go with your choice.

While milage for picks ups is actually pretty good, I do agree. You don't buy a pick up and expect the milage of Prius.

Having said that, complaining about the price of gas is very different. As its really artificial and run by a cabal. Milage and gas price are two very different things. When I bought my diesel, the price of diesel was always lower than gas; that's defiantly not the way now.

Sure there’s some outliers but works fine for the vast majority, these guys drove a Model 3 across Canada in Feb to show that.

That looks more like punishment.

The difference between you and I is I don't throw shade or question or judge what people buy with their money. So I say again, who are you to decide what's practical or impractical for another ?

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN
I opined that, in my view, for certain people in certain situations, I think owning one is impractical.

You opined that people who don't own one, should.

This getting tiresome.

That looks more like punishment.
They’ve got a Guinness world record guy with them, I’m not sure what record they’re going for but it has to do with winter travel. That’s presumably why they appear to be driving all night.

That’s not what it looks like based on even the slightest bit of research. It’s absurd that you’re feigning concern about mining in a different place but you’re OK with magnitudes more of the same in your own backyard.

That doesn't convince me. And it really doesn't concern me either. What we need and what we'd like, are two different things. We need to get our resources to market as the first priority. We can make things pretty again later on. So, I don't care if the open pit is in Alberta or Algeria. I have no intent on using an EV or it's battery. Basically, I don't give a shit about their emotional ecology or green technology. There are other real world problems that need more immediate attention. Gore and Suzuki will have to wait.

The difference between you and I is I don't throw shade or question or judge what people buy with their money*. So I say again, who are you to decide what's practical or impractical for another?
A good policy - until* they complain about not having enough.

Back