• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Warming/Climate Change Super Thread

I'm a truck fan myself, but if you're an urban dweller who's only need is to drive to work and pick-up groceries, they are wildly impractical. You woulld struggle to get them into a condo parking spot, townhouse garage or even a lot of retail parking spots the way they are painting them now. Unless you go AWD, an empty truck has fairly usless winter traction. Manufacturers love them - their profit margin is about 4x that of a passenger car.
Without pickup, a entire generation will be unable to move at the end of the month. If you own a pickup, you are everyone's friend at the end of the month. Not to mention epic quests to the dump or to buy furniture.

Waiting in the school parking lot for my daughter, looking at the school provided charging stations used by the teachers and thinking "Hmm wouldn't that be a taxable benefit?"

That doesn't convince me. And it really doesn't concern me either. What we need and what we'd like, are two different things. We need to get our resources to market as the first priority. We can make things pretty again later on. So, I don't care if the open pit is in Alberta or Algeria. I have no intent on using an EV or it's battery. Basically, I don't give a shit about their emotional ecology or green technology. There are other real world problems that need more immediate attention. Gore and Suzuki will have to wait.
I’m just responding to the allegations that EVs are evil because mining. Clearly an invalid argument.

I watched one of those pull away, when the light went green, downtown the other day.

It went like a silent rocket sled.

I've seen a couple around Halifornia.

They are great vehicle for short distance and low work load. I love the idea that it can power my house.

Without pickup, an entire generation will be unable to move at the end of the month. If you own a pickup, you are everyone's friend at the end of the month. Not to mention epic quests to the dump or to buy furniture.
If only there were a way to rent one every 5 years when you need to move… no, let’s just all buy one for that fringe case.

Waiting in the school parking lot for my daughter, looking at the school provided charging stations used by the teachers and thinking "Hmm wouldn't that be a taxable benefit?"
It probably is. In the neighborhood of ~$100 a year. It would be painful/impossible to come up with an accurate figure unless they installed chargers designed to do this, and that feature would cost significantly more to install. The same ones can be set up to charge a fee, my town does it that way, it basically costs the same as high-rate electricity. This also encourages people not to hog them and to move when they’re done. You could look on “PlugShare” and probably figure out if there’s a fee, or the app of the make of chargers that they are. Most use smartphones and/or rfid tags to start so it’s pretty hard to tell from looking at them whether there’s a charge unless they’re just plugged into a regular outlet.

Last edited:
And its their god given right through freedom of expression to do so. You can ignore them.
Do you extend that sentiment to avocado toast, vice, tuition, buying too much house, entertainment etc. etc.?

Or does the god given right to a truck make it the exception to the conservative principles of fiscal prudence and personal accountability?

I watched one of those pull away, when the light went green, downtown the other day.

It went like a silent rocket sled.
Because the torque of an electric motor is available at zero rpm.

For what they cost, range isn't great. If you're towing, really not great. If I want backup power for the house, a generator is a whole lot cheaper.

Just like block heater sockets provided by just about every employer and apartment building in northern Ontario and I assume other provinces. Interesting thought about the taxable benefit; I'm sure the CRA has considered it, there aren't many potential non-big-corporate revenue sources that get by them.

Do you extend that sentiment to avocado toast, vice, tuition, buying too much house, entertainment etc. etc.?

Or does the god given right to a truck make it the exception to the conservative principles of fiscal prudence and personal accountability?

Absolutely. FYI I love avocado toast.

I try my best not pass judgment on what other people buy. Its none of my business. I try to look after my own back yard, I'm human so I'm probably not always successful, but I try.

Fiscal prudence for me is not the same as you and not the same as the next guy. You do you boo.

Now, if you want to get into the age old Ford v Dodge v Chevy/GM, I'm always up for a few beer and some shit chucking.

Absolutely. FYI I love avocado toast.

I try my best not pass judgment on what other people buy. Its none of my business. I try to look after my own back yard, I'm human so I'm probably not always successful, but I try.

Fiscal prudence for me is not the same as you and not the same as the next guy. You do you boo.

Now, if you want to get into the age old Ford v Dodge v Chevy/GM, I'm always up for a few beer and some shit chucking.
Fair enough. Honestly that's an admirable adherence to personal principles. I apologize for the snark.

The point I was trying to make is that (within the context of policy/finance discussions) often times we on the right (I still claim that relative to Canada) can be guilty of a hypocrisy where the "other" on an individual level (millenials, urbanites etc etc) are exclusively responsible for adapting to their circumstances and the world around them, whereas "our" wants/standard of living/decisions are sacrosanct. It's a double standard I find incredibly frustrating, and projected it on you.

Cheers (Ford- though with no great feeling, dealer proximity and family negotiating history)

I still don’t see why you’re OK with strip-mining in Alberta but not some other place that you’ve never heard of.

I didn't say anything about strip mining. Good or bad, Alberta or anywhere.

I was talking about child slave labour in cobalt mining.

Strip mining dosent bother me in and of itself. We use resources of all types and if the best way to get them Is strip mining then so be it. The key issues are how are the sites remediated after they are done. And how environmentally damaging is the process during. I'm sure both of these issues have exponentially better outcomes in Canada then in Africa.

They have this new device that you can attach to many other vehicles to accomplish these tasks. I get it if you’re going to Home Depot daily, but most people aren’t doing that.
If you are talking about putting a trailer behind an EV/Hybrid, during a test drive with one manufacturer, I was told specifically that towing a trailer would void the warranty.

I don’t drive a truck. I also don’t drive a Ferrari. I do sometimes raise my eyebrows at some people that do drive those things but I have no issues with because it’s their choice.

I do roll my eyes when two of my sibling in laws complain about how life is hard and they can’t buy a house but drive brand new trucks just to drive trucks. To each their own. Neither used their truck once to help us when we built a family cottage. I either rented something or used our qashqai.

The reality though is Canada is a big place. I live in Ottawa. You can be in the bush in 15 mins from just about anywhere in the City. We have lots of cottage country and people do have boats, ATVs etc

My father had an off road version of a Forerunner. Could tow, carry a pile of stuff etc. If I needed a truck i would borrow it. It was great.

That being said I had a chance to take an Uber that was a Tesla. He answered a lot of questions I had and there are pros and cons. I was impressed. My current car still has 10 years life on it or so, (i am very much a « as long as I can get from point a to b and i don’t care how old my car is » and drive my cars until they die) so when the time comes maybe the tech will be up to par and more affordable that I might consider an EV.

. My current car still has 10 years life on it or so, (i am very much a « as long as I can get from point a to b and i don’t care how old my car is » and drive my cars until they die) so when the time comes maybe the tech will be up to par and more affordable that I might consider an EV.
A man after my own heart....still have my 2006 Montana with almost 500,000 km on it but finally had to scrap my 2008 Impala with 400,000 km on it a couple weeks ago.
Replaced it with another 2008 vehicle.....with only 190,000 km , it's like brand new compared to what I'm used to.

I'll be darned if I'm spending 25 grand on a used Dodge Caravan.....

If you are talking about putting a trailer behind an EV/Hybrid, during a test drive with one manufacturer, I was told specifically that towing a trailer would void the warranty.
Depends on the car of course, Model Y has 5,000 lb towing but based on demand they’re really expensive right now. Cadillac Lyriq is also 5,000 lbs, they’re ~$70k if you can get one.

Depends on the car of course, Model Y has 5,000 lb towing but based on demand they’re really expensive right now. Cadillac Lyriq is also 5,000 lbs, they’re ~$70k if you can get one.

From what I have seen online, when you put a load on the 150 Lightening it turns your battery charge state into your range indicator.

Meaning 100% charge is 100 miles (American) of range. TFL found it was impractical to use for any sort of hauling with distance. Maybe a utility trailer locally where you can keep it connected to charger when parked.

The truck can pull, just not for very long or far.

Back