• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Global Warming/Climate Change Super Thread

Note that the culprit is government inaction on climate change, not relentless predictions of apocalyptic outcomes.

I have seen that lack of optimism in my own family. May the alarmists rot.

If waiting for government were truly a cause, the national suicide rate would be 10X higher. We have been waiting for 10 years for them to fill the potholes on our road. Pilots who started training with the promise of a shiny new fighter to fly are starting to retire. Still waiting for boots and a new revolver and the rangers are just now receiving the replacement for their WW1 rifles.

Misinformation about solar power and wind farms is leading local governments across the country to restrict — or even reject — renewable energy projects. It's a threat to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, researchers warn.

Let's face it, we're in trouble if Trudeau's policies continue much longer.

Much of Europe — led by Germany — abandoned domestic energy security in the mad rush to go green, leaving the continent vulnerable to the whims of dictators like Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Because their leaders foolishly ignored domestic energy security, Europeans are now vulnerable to the twin dangers of skyrocketing energy prices and severe energy shortages this winter, if Putin decides to turn the screws on Europe’s energy supply,

Meanwhile, the United Nations’ ostensible goal of cutting greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030 — less than eight years from now — and to net zero by 2050, is a fantasy.

Global emissions last year were the highest in history, surpassing the drop in emissions during the first year of the pandemic in 2020.

When it comes to Canada’s energy supply, things are not that desperate, yet.

But it’s alarming that Trudeau and Freeland are doubling down on green propaganda and the foolish argument that renewable energy sources, given their current level of technology, are anywhere near ready to replace fossil fuels, especially in a big, cold, northern, sparsely-populated country like Canada.

Canada could be a global leader in sensible energy policies because we have huge domestic reserves of natural gas and safe nuclear technology.

Because nuclear power produces no greenhouse gases and natural gas burns at half the carbon intensity of coal, using them to replace coal-fired electricity globally is the single most effective way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

"But it’s alarming that Trudeau and Freeland are doubling down on green propaganda and the foolish argument that renewable energy sources, given their current level of technology, are anywhere near ready to replace fossil fuels, especially in a big, cold, northern, sparsely-populated country like Canada."

It's not alarming. Anyone that's been paying attention since 2019 could see what wasn't coming down the pipe. Crude oil. Trudeau and freeland haven't been shy about exposing us to the wishes of WEF and a full on push to destroy the oil industry. This is no surprise. They see turmoil approaching and want to get as much done for their agenda as they can before getting handed their asses.

In view of the clamouring of the government/expert community over one major outage in part of the telecommunications playground, I look forward to the intensity of the denunciations and scapegoating when shortages arise in the energy playground.

In view of the clamouring of the government/expert community over one major outage in part of the telecommunications playground, I look forward to the intensity of the denunciations and scapegoating when shortages arise in the energy playground.
Pure misdirection by the grits. Nothing to do with emergency services. The government is doing nothing about it except telling the telecoms to sort it out amongst themselves, then report to the Minister for permission to launch. For a government to dictate how a private business must operate and with who, is wrong. We can tell them to operate safely. We can tell them how to pay taxes and licenses. What we shouldn't be doing is telling them how to run their business or who to partner with.

Pure misdirection by the grits. Nothing to do with emergency services. The government is doing nothing about it except telling the telecoms to sort it out amongst themselves, then report to the Minister for permission to launch. For a government to dictate how a private business must operate and with who, is wrong. We can tell them to operate safely. We can tell them how to pay taxes and licenses. What we shouldn't be doing is telling them how to run their business or who to partner with.
To an extent I agree with you but when two major players become one basically giving us two poor choices maybe then the government needs to step in. AT&T was broken up because it had a virtual monopoly on telecom stuff in the US.

The US basically has 4 major companies dominant (subscriber base) in wireless, with the fifth very far behind. A much larger customer base is supporting their infrastructure. I'm not really convinced we need 4 (Bell, Rogers, Telus, Shaw), let alone a fifth or more.

The US basically has 4 major companies dominant (subscriber base) in wireless, with the fifth very far behind. A much larger customer base is supporting their infrastructure. I'm not really convinced we need 4 (Bell, Rogers, Telus, Shaw), let alone a fifth or more.
In country the size of Canada with our small population, I am not sure how one gets “European priced” celphone coverage with 4 (plus) national carriers duplicating towers and infrastructure from coast to coast to coast…

Not sure what this has to do with global warming….

It doesn't have anything to do directly with climate issues. I'm looking ahead to when the first major screwups over energy policy happen, and the finger-pointing starts. (I suppose the first major screwups are already happening, in some countries. The question is whether we act on the horrible warnings or become one.)

It doesn't have anything to do directly with climate issues. I'm looking ahead to when the first major screwups over energy policy happen, and the finger-pointing starts. (I suppose the first major screwups are already happening, in some countries. The question is whether we act on the horrible warnings or become one.)
Usually, the policy makers find an energy company scapegoat for failing to deliver energy (in whatever form) that their rules prevented the company from delivering in the first place. Then, they double down on more stupid rules, so…

Back