• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GG Spending

Tease GIF by Shark Week

There's that dame word privilege again ;)
OK, 'perq' (perquisite). I don't think there are many Athenian direct democracies left (besides - wasn't that just adult males?).

If you go some places and try to live within the meal rates on your travel claim, you can eat well in some locations and others you are not even getting fast food.
Heck, as a provincial government employee, there were some locations within Ontario that I couldn't get a decent restaurant meal within the approved amounts.

Yet we will send a ship around the world doing diplomatic missions, with no real operational nexus, call it an Op so everyone gets all the benefits and not have to pay taxes, and that's all good to go?

Absolutely that should be dissected with a magnifying glass. All military Ops should have a valid operational necessity.

There is cheap and there is reasonable. I simply cant fathom a 200$ plate of food in our current economic climate as a reasonable expense.
I wasn't talking about meals for the diplomats. I was talking about major projects like ships, bridges, LRT's, fire halls, sewage systems, etc, etc.

I went and looked at the ritz Carlton menu in Abu Dhabi. I saw a hundred dollar CAD meal. No 200 dollar lunch’s

Something is missing in the math. And without a detailed actually showing of how they arrived at the number….
Catering via fixed supply…

When my wife and I took a holiday in Dubai, during our Iraq chapter, we spent over $550 USD a day on food for 10 days in 2008.
Breakfast was around $80 each, lunch near 190 and dinner over 200.

Now factor in what a Cater Co. will mark up beyond a hotel/restaurant, considering they need to be security vetted for the airport. Then there is going to be a fixer fee to ensure everything is right, plus most likely a security detail on the food truck etc due to a Foreign HoS…

Believe me, I am the last person to suggest the CDN Gov is a wise and thoughtful spender of Tax Dollars, but I don’t think this is very out of the realm.

And if we were to apply the same accounting principles to the committee, I'm sure it's costing us tens of thousands every hour they look into it (more if you add FINs favourite 'opportunity costs' to look at something more important).

Catering via fixed supply…

When my wife and I took a holiday in Dubai, during our Iraq chapter, we spent over $550 USD a day on food for 10 days in 2008.
Breakfast was around $80 each, lunch near 190 and dinner over 200.
When I was in Dubai in the 2012, food was nowhere near that price. I'd say $25 Canadian was typical for a full-meal at lunch, maybe $35-$40 for supper (at a half-decent place). For reference, these were meals at the malls and at a hotel downtown. When we had lunch in the sook, it was even cheaper, like $12 for a really yummy kebab and sour drink (you know the one).

Why was the cost so much higher for you?

When I was in Dubai in the 2012, food was nowhere near that price. I'd say $25 Canadian was typical for a full-meal at lunch, maybe $35-$40 for supper (at a half-decent place). For reference, these were meals at the malls and at a hotel downtown. When we had lunch in the sook, it was even cheaper, like $12 for a really yummy kebab and sour drink (you know the one).

Watch out! Some of those sook kebabs can come back and haunt you ;)

Probably where we went.
Cost wasn’t an issue at that point, and we stayed at Madinat Jumeirah.
Room was almost 1k a night back then.
But cheaper than the Burj…

My wife and I are sort of foodies too, so we went to as many of the best places that where recommended.
What can I say, months of eating either local or DFAC food was getting to us.

My wife and I are sort of foodies too, so we went to as many of the best places that where recommended.
What can I say, months of eating either local or DFAC food was getting to us.
Hey, if you have that kind of money to spend on food, spend it. My wife and I dropped $600 on supper at a 2* Michellin in Porto. No Ragrets.

Madinat, nice! (But also supports a business case for slumming either at the JW Jumeriah, or at the Ritz in Abu Dhabi and having a car service zip you out to the Palm for dinner at Ibn AlBahr Seafood beside the Andaz Jumeriah.)

one way to look at it, I ordered a pizza last night in Ottawa, had it delivered. I could of driven to the Pizza Place but I wanted to have it delivered . I paid a extra fee $3.50 for delivery service, then was expected to tip on top on that for the driver. So I know paid an extra $5 for a tip. So it was an extra $8.50 to have it delivered. $20 pizza now almost $30, 1/3 more in costs. So how much is the delivery service from the kitchen to the airport? How much does it cost to have food security ( make sure it was tampered with enroute)? How much does it cost to have the special trucks to deliver it in? This is all part of the costs per meal. Does this cost include dishes or paper plates? But no one puts that in the price per meal break down.

Questions never flown on the CC 150 fleet, does it have a kitchen to heat up food and store hot meal? If not we the tax payer are going to be paying extra costs for hot meals to be delivered, and some sort of set up to keep them warm?

Yes, but do you include the cost of the building it was made in, the car that it was delivered in, general infrastructure for the road, power etc to get to your place? When that was done, did you factor in the cost of your dwelling, your cutlery, whatever furniture you ate it off? If not, then you really aren't getting into the GoC costing models.

Yes, but do you include the cost of the building it was made in, the car that it was delivered in, general infrastructure for the road, power etc to get to your place? When that was done, did you factor in the cost of your dwelling, your cutlery, whatever furniture you ate it off? If not, then you really aren't getting into the GoC costing models.
when the auditor general took on the costing of the F35 purchase price, they took into account the flight suits and shoe laces required for the pilots over the life span.

Every time I get a contractor to come work on my job site, I get a truck charge, if 2 guys come i get 2 truck charges sometimes. Some one has to pay for the fuel and other costs with running those service trucks, and it gets billed to the client. The company I work for adds 15% of the bill as sur charges to the client to pay for my time to make the calls required to get the contractor to show up etc. So I am willing to bet if we saw the itemized billing there would be more than just food costs included in billing.

Back