• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Gear Review - Arktis Windshirt, Eagle Admin Pouch, DZ C9 stuff daddy

gore226

Inactive
Reaction score
I just got pack from a weekend out with my cadets and was able to field a few pieces for the first time.  

Arktis wind shirt:

Great intermediate layer.  I put under my combat shirt about mid afternoon and was good to go until after last light.  After last light, went with th wind shirt and issue fleece.  there again performed well.

The stuff sack need to be about 2 in bigger, it a real pain in the a$$ to get back in.  The hood was mildly annoying, I can see where it would come in handy..........

The issue fleece -- I need to pick up a better sweater, to damn heavey, and bulky!

Eagle admin pouch:

I'm running it  on the centre of my DZ chest rig.  OD in colour.  I like the design, its just an admin pouch.  I prefer it to the style with the light mulit tool pouch.  I have a rite in the rain note book, pelican LED light, sharpie, pencil, and spork.  Still lots more room.

The pouch body is an envelope design.  The outside edges would be a bit better box style.

DZ C9 stuff daddy:

The stuff daddy is ment as an insert for the DZ C9 ammo pouch.  The stuff daddy is fitted insert.  I picked mine up for use as an organizer in my assault pack.  Assault pack in OD, stuff daddy is tan, makes a good contrast.  Which is the same colour for my DZ ammo pouch  I have attached inside my pack.  The sniper pouch is what I keep my flare kit in.

Any chance you could include links or where we could find this stuff??
Thanks
Tom

DZ stand for Dropzone.  www.dropzonetactical.com is their website.

Eagle products can be found at places such as Dave's surplus and tactical (www.dstactical.com)

And I am pretty sure One shot tactical sells Arktis.  www.oneshottactical.com

Worst case scenario, google.ca is your friend.

BKells said:
That's where I stopped reading.

If you are suggesting to him that he use the spellchecker, then just do so.

Thanks.

Pookey,

Please use the spellchecker and punctuation prior to posting.

Thanks.

I believe the intent was that a weekend sleepover with the cadets is not an adequate "field trial" to justify any kind of serious kit review.  I may be wrong, more frequently than not, in fact.

BKells said:
That's where I stopped reading.

Nope, pretty sure that was a CIC-bash.

Mr BKells, do remember that there are several other CIC on this board, and while we can't all be gun-totin', bomb-layin', mo-fo's like you, we are still human, and members of the Canadian Forces, and as such, do deserve at least a modicum of respect.

That kind of unproductive statement is the exact reason why some of us get so angry at the utter lack of respect from Reg Force and Reserves, and get so defensive about our choice of career path in the CF.  I know that I am doing my chosen (part-time (yeah right)) job to the best of my ability, and producing many young adults who go on to become a 'full' member of the CF, so please do not make it harder for us to do that job.

If a CIC wants to go out in the bushes with some gear, and give an honest review of said gear, let him.  He did not try to be a poser, saying that he was rolling around in the dirt with it, he stated right up front that he was just back from a weekend with his cadets, and there is no reason that he can not give an honest, and useful, review on a sweater.  We do get out in the bush with rain and wind, just like you.  We do map and compass, or Admin stuff, and sometimes it is just easier to carry all that crap around on a vest or chest rig, instead of in a pocket or backpack.

Sorry for the rant / off-topic, but this kind of random sniping at CIC just gets my goat.

Ive was running an arktis w/s in gagetown while there working on an ARCC crse and found I enjoy my gore-tex stealth top a heckuva lot more. Just me, but personal preference.

And as a digression, dont get your hackles too up on the end Pookey
producing many young adults who go on to become a 'full' member of the CF
75-80% of young adults who enroll in the Cadet Program Never even bother with the CF after about 2 or 3 years in Cadets.
It was a good program, but I think around 2001-2002 it became too much like a quasi military wing of the boyscouts with all the harmful sharp edges that made being a 12 yr old on range team fun. Yes your contribution is appreciated, but dont get ahead of yourself.

Dixon

Also, must remember to get down to DZ this month to feed gear craving before returning to the Armd School

Dixon said:
75-80% of young adults who enroll in the Cadet Program Never even bother with the CF after about 2 or 3 years in Cadets.

Yes and 20-25% do go on to participate in the CF - and do pretty well.
But that's off topic.

CIC have legitimate input on environmental clothing - Perhaps more so in some circumstances - How many CF regular or Militia use issue kit while mountaineering at 11,700 feet? (Answer: CIC officers teaching on the Leadership & Challenge course)

Thru diversity come many opinions - and that's got to be good...

cdn031 said:
How many CF regular or Militia use issue kit while mountaineering at 11,700 feet? (Answer: CIC officers teaching on the Leadership & Challenge course)

Along with any unit operating in the mountains, those with a mountain tasking, those on BMO/AMO, teaching on BMO/AMO, those on adventure training and other unit run trips etc.

I agree cadets have there place but the problem with "all of the input" that there is on kit is that a lot of the time the "input" is not coming from the pointy end who REALLY need it and know what it needs to do. (Yes I realize that everyone needs their kit but having a working rain jacket means one thing to.. for instance a trucker.. and a whole different thing to a dismounted infanteer, engineer, whatever). Look at the problem we have with a lot of the kit in service now, tac vest anyone?, it is an 80% solution. 80% of everyone, not of those that REALLY use it. YMMV

cdn031 said:
How many CF regular or Militia use issue kit while mountaineering at 11,700 feet? (Answer: CIC officers teaching on the Leadership & Challenge course)

Ahem. Answer:

-Anyone who has been on the Mountain Ops Course
-Anyone who has been on a Mountain Ops Ex
-Anyone who was involved in mountain ops in Afghanistan, like say, Op Anaconda (granted, not quite 11,700 feet, but with the combat trump card)
-Pathfinder courses
-anyone who has been involved in the Mountain Man Challenge.

Therefore, I don't quite agree with:

CIC have legitimate input on environmental clothing - Perhaps more so in some circumstances

Fact is, as a CIC officer who's done your course, when will you be in such a position as the Reg and Res pers who have partaken in activities such as the aforementioned to impart your knowledge or experience with said issue kit in said environment to other soldiers?

Edit to add:

This post is in no shape or form a CIC or personal bash, I just don't think having done the one course makes you a SME on the equipment over others who have applied the equipment to it's intended use in combat or combat training

You guys seem to be missing the concept that ANYONE can tell you if the piece of raingear keeps you dry, or if the polar fleece keeps you warm.

I agree, using the Mountain course as an example was probably not a great example, but I have to say that I appreciate cdn031 for him sticking up for us poor lowly CIC officers on this board.

For an example of a review.  I bought a fancy rain jacket  (OTTE in CADPAT from Dave's)  I did a review of it on another board.  Right at the beginning, I told everyone that I had no experience fighting bad guys, or even going out on a patrol.  HOWEVER, I do have lots of experince in getting wet through supposedly waterproof jackets, including issued gear (of course, the only issued raingear that I have is the green rubber rainsuit, but that's a different thread).  Hell, I live in the Lower Fraser Valley of British Columbia.  If there's one thing that we know down here, it's rain, right?  ;D  In that aspect (attesting to the waterproofness), I figure that I am as qualified as anyone else on here.

Pookey, who started this thread, stated right in his first sentence or two that he had this stuff on a cadet ex.  OK, some of you may just dismiss him because of that, and heck, if that's what floats your boat, go for it.  But you don't need to make it public.

That's all that we ask for.  Is that too much to ask?

Anyways, this thread is spiralling out of control, and I feel a lock coming on, as just ONE MORE CIC-bashing thread.

EDIT TO ADD :  Breadwindow, I know that YOU were not doing any bashing.

qjdb - I am not bashing CIC's in general. You will notice that I did not have anything negative to say about the review itself. I agree completely, with caveats to prevent people from thinking you are something that you are not (i.e. anyone passing themselves off as HSLD Super Ninja's etc) anyone can comment and provide their thoughts on a piece of equipment. My comments were geared solely at Cdn031, based on his "mountain" comments.

As far as I am concerned, anybody who uses something is free to post their comments so long as they are complete and honest, and their comments are then perfectly valid within the context in which they were used.

Others can take or leave the comments as they see fit, but no bashing is required or should be tolerated.

philb - 10-4

loachman, thank you.

I hope that everyone can take something away from this.

Back