• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

GBAD - The return of 'FOBS'

Just a point. The SHORAD UOR for the RBS 70 and the C-UAV UOR contracts just awarded are distinct from the GBAD capital project which is the subject of this thread and still moving forward.

🍻

South Korea is developing a counter-UAS system similar to the Coyote.

Interesting from the article is the timelines in the development of the system:

According to the Agency for Defense Development (ADD), development of this project began in the fourth quarter of last year, with the Basic Design Review (PDR) soon to be completed, followed by the Detailed Design Review (CDR). After the interceptor drone completes its flight, expected in the fall of this year, interception tests with an actual UAV are planned to be conducted by the second half of next year. The interception test will also include targeting a small UAV.

The CanadaBuys website has just published the GBAD Projects list of Qualified Buyers. And the winners are:

• Team of Lockheed Martin and Diehl Defence Gmbh and Co. KG
  • MBDA Missile Systems
  • Raytheon Canada
  • SAAB Canada

Link

So doing a little research I'm speculating that the following systems are in play.

Interesting. I didn’t follow the program but it would appear that from the list of qualified businesses that there is a rather wide range of capabilities.

IMG_0577.jpeg
Some are Long/Medium and the SAAB is Short Ranged

Interestingly MBDA also does MEADS with LocMart with the PAC-3MSE which gives Anti-Ballistic Missile capabilities as well.

Is it a one option only, or is this a True GBAD suit to cover a range of requirements?

The CanadaBuys website has just published the GBAD Projects list of Qualified Buyers. And the winners are:

• Team of Lockheed Martin and Diehl Defence Gmbh and Co. KG
  • MBDA Missile Systems
  • Raytheon Canada
  • SAAB Canada

Link

So doing a little research I'm speculating that the following systems are in play.
i was thinking the Saab was the RBS 23?

The US Army deploying it over-the-road version of the Navy's Mk41 VLS.

Capable of launching ABMs, SAMs, SSMs, NSMs and ASROCs among other things. Mobile, static or mounted on a ship's deck.

i was thinking the Saab was the RBS 23?

SAAB doesn't list it it in their GBAD directory which is why I went with the MSHORAD. According to Wiki it is in service with Sweden.

And Justin Bronk

The successful defence mounted by Israel and allied countries including the UK against the complex missile and drone attack launched by Iran over the weekend has drawn renewed attention towards the inadequacies of Britain’s air and missile defences, with former chair of the Defence Select Committee Tobias Ellwood even calling for Britain to develop its own Iron Dome system.

While it’s important for politicians to think hard about the high levels of risk posed to the UK by Russian stand-off missile attacks, we should also remember that there are very significant differences between the threat geography we face, and those in Israel or forward bases in Eastern Europe.

Canada is exposed to the same Arctic.

At the other end of the spectrum Ukraine is using low-tech solutions to counter FPV drones...

Goes to show that there's no "one size fits all" solution to GBAD.

At the other end of the spectrum Ukraine is using low-tech solutions to counter FPV drones...

Goes to show that there's no "one size fits all" solution to GBAD.
Add the SMASH Smart Shooter Fire Control System?

And Justin Bronk

Canada is exposed to the same Arctic.
Britain is much more similar in size to Israel than Canada...

Better to look at the NGI, and THAAD.

Britain is much more similar in size to Israel than Canada...

Better to look at the NGI, and THAAD.

Agreed we should start there.

But I still like lots of layers. And there are multiple Britains inside Canada. That not only suggests multiple Britains to defend but also multiple Britains to counter in the sense that every unobserved "Britain" presents as a potential FUP for a bunch of back-packable drones.

Norwegians calling to beef up their Air Defences. They are looking for more of the existing short-range stuff that is cheap and is known to work. And lots of it.

Long range systems are a lower priority.

Also calling to triple the size of their ready force from 1 Brigade to 3 Brigades.

“So, from handheld, counter-UAV air defense systems, up to, I would say, medium-range NASAMS” are the first priority, Kristoffersen said. “We have already invested, and we need to invest more in that. We know it’s working, it’s tested and it’s proven its effectiveness in Ukraine.”

Oslo has donated a number of NASAMS (National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems), co-developed by US firm Raytheon and Norwegian firm Kongsberg, to Ukraine for its defensive effort against Russia. The lessons learned from seeing the system in the field, along with the kind of counter-drone efforts Ukrainians have had to employ, are directly filtering into Norway’s approach to building out its air defenses, Kristoffersen said.

One of the big lessons from that conflict: volume matters, especially at the lower level.

No less a figure than the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Air Force Gen. C.Q. Brown, emphasized the importance of expanding defenses against low-end drones. “I realize that the Missile Defense Agency tends to look at high end capabilities, but I really believe you’ve got to think about how we defend against all of these [threats],” he said in his remarks, which closed the conference. “This past weekend was a perfect example [of] the expansive use of drones.”

That cost imbalance between defense and offense has driven militaries around the world to look at less expensive options, from lasers and high-powered microwaves to old-fashioned bullets.

In Ukraine, Plumb said, “these guys have literally shot down cruise missiles” with .50 caliber machineguns. That requires a sophisticated but relatively inexpensive network of sensors, deployed as far forward as possible to pick up the incoming threat and rapidly alert mobile air defense guns in its path, he noted. Only if incoming missiles and drones bypass the first, affordable line of defense and threaten critical targets does Ukraine employ its limited supply of Patriots and other high-end Western interceptors, he said.

By contrast, Plumb continued, the US version of “layered” missile defense often fires the most expensive weapon first, because it has the longest range, while low-cost-per-shot alternatives like lasers or guns are so short-ranged they only come into play for close-in, last-ditch defense.

“You want your first layer to be pickets and the pickets have the cheaper shots, then save your most exquisite interceptors at the highest cost for leakers”
that get through, Plumb said. “We roughly have that backwards. … Our most expensive interceptors usually have longer reach [and] our cheapest shots at at the end.”

At the high end

The Army, Navy, and Air Force are all developing 300-kilowatt lasers with far greater range than current counter-drone weapons, Shyu said. The Army and Air Force systems will be ground-based, the Navy’s shipborne, she said, declining to give further detail. “Last summer, my shop let out a contract to two different contractors [to develop] greater than 500-kilowatt laser sources,” she said. “By the end of next year expect to see that. … It’s pretty awesome.”

The bubble on the back of the Stryker is a 50 kw laser....

1713485492483.png

Last edited:
Also calling to triple the size of their ready force from 1 Brigade to 3 Brigades.
Just an aside re the expansion:

Before 2036, the Government plans for around 4,600 more conscripts, 13,700 more reservists and 4,600 more employees, and a major boost in competence.

🍻

Back