• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

The few New Brunswick Acadians I met absolutely detested Québécois. I doubt they would go for that.
Oh, I very much doubt they would indeed. I'm just throwing ideas at the wall, really.

The idea that anyone would detest a whole other group is rather strange, however. I get it if we were talking about Ukrainians and Russians or Japs and Koreans, but... there really a isn't historic feud that justifies it in this case.

Oh, I very much doubt they would indeed. I'm just throwing ideas at the wall, really.

The idea that anyone would detest a whole other group is rather strange, however. I get it if we were talking about Ukrainians and Russians or Japs and Koreans, but... there really a isn't historic feud that justifies it in this case.
Detest isn’t the word I would use either. Call it love/hate.

Or, in Canada, just another government policy:

How the CAQ is rebranding Quebec nationalism​

Detest isn’t the word I would use either. Call it love/hate.
Yes, perhaps I got too hung up on the specific word.

I get the sentiment tho; the feeling of being subsumed into an ever greater whole - regardless of whether that greater whole happens to speak French or English - and the inherent risk to the culture and way of life that that would carry, are not negligible.

@daftandbarmy I think this comment gives you a better insight on where my mind is at wrt these issues. Yours is a reflection of the reality we have come to know as the ''Two solitudes''. The article is written in the age-old style of ''White man knows best''. White saviour complex lives on...

Anyway, I don't want to derail another thread with this.

Last edited:
Yes, perhaps I got too hung up on the specific word.

I get the sentiment tho; the feeling of being subsumed into an ever greater whole - regardless of whether that greater whole happens to speak French or English - and the inherent risk to the culture and way of life that that would carry, is not negligible.
It stems from Quebec abdicating it’s role in French Canadian Culture and choosing to create its own unique identity during the 50s and 60s and abandoning the rest to their fates. If you aren’t Quebecois you don’t really matter.

After watching "Rome", no word sounding like "kak" ("cac") will ever be the same for me.

Dating is complicated for Robyn Schleihauf, who has been sober for three years but lives in Nova Scotia where drinking is ubiquitous.

I envy people who drink. At least they have something to blame everything on. :)

I haven't been following the EA inquiry too closely.

From what I see:

-Police didn't request it contrary to the government initially saying they did.
-CSIS said the protest/situation didn't constitute a threat to national security which is what is supposed to be required to use the EA.
-CSIS went so far as to say enacting the EA would actually radicalize protesters and push them toward violence.

Trudeau enacted the EA anyways.

Trudeau wants violence to happen as a means to scare Canadians into voting for him.

Last edited:

From what I see:

-Police didn't request it contrary to that the government initially saying they did.
-CSIS said the protest/situation didn't constitute a threat to national security which is what is supposed to be required to use the EA.
-CSIS went so far as to say enacting the EA would actually radicalize protesters and push them toward violence.

Trudeau enacted the EA anyways.

Trudeau wants violence to happen as a means to scare Canadians into voting for him.

I tend to agree.

From what I see:

-Police didn't request it contrary to that the government initially saying they did.
-CSIS Director Vigneault says later in personal testimony, that he verbally countered all the Service’s previous position and recommendations and told that PM that he personally agreed with the PM’s use of the EA

Trudeau enacted the EA anyways given CSIS’ newfound and previously unknown to anyone else than the PM (and potentially some unidentified/undisclosed people).

There, Jarn, I think that’s the latest version of the EA narrative…

Not necessarily violence. Just disorder, or the appearance of it. Basically the same theme as the "soldiers in streets etc" and other ongoing fearmongering (end of this program, end of that freedom, blah blah blah).

IIRC one line stood out from testimony for me.

An Ottawa MP declared "her" fear. She felt that the protesters hated "Liberals". This coincided with JT's disdain for those people that had been protesting him and his government since at least the previous federal campaign.

Their concern was that they personally were at risk of a coup.

This was in spite of external opinion.

Edit - Related

Feb. 5: Mr. Lametti is growing impatient with Mr. Sloly. In a text message with Mr. Mendicino, as big rigs, bouncy castles, food tents and other vehicles are parked outside the House of Commons, he texts Mr. Mendicino, “Need Sloly to be quick, quick, quick”.

KFNS4VBRG5GMRC3WFBA64YMKVY.jfif

In the inquiry, Mr. Lametti said in hindsight he would have softened his comments about Mr. Sloly but added that he and his staff felt unsafe during the protests.

So not professional assessments but personal feelings.

"I felt unsafe." "I have safety concerns." "What if something bad could happen?" "It might save one life."

The list of excuses is endless; just surprising to hear some of them from the people who sit around the big boy tables.

"I felt unsafe." "I have safety concerns." "What if something bad could happen?" "It might save one life."

The list of excuses is endless; just surprising to hear some of them from the people who sit around the big boy tables.
It seems liberal policy in it's totality is built around the cult of "IF". If my auntie had bollocks she'd be my uncle... well if she wanted to, that is.

They use emotional arguments, because they resonate with people more easily.

Arguments based on reason require effort on the part of the listener, arguments based on emotion bypass that and requirement and stick in people's heads.

They use emotional arguments, because they resonate with people more easily.

Arguments based on reason require effort on the part of the listener, arguments based on emotion bypass that and requirement and stick in people's heads.
Society has been conditioned to “feel” rather than think critically.

Lametti is a puppet. As is the Transport Minister.

Sacrificial lambs.
They all are. The are all beholden to and mouthpieces for 'the centre' (PMO), which JT's dad really got going. At the provincial level, they're the same. When she was SolGen, Sylvia Jones was noted for being less than whelming. I'm expecting the same now that she is in charge of Health.

I don't have a huge problem with central management - somebody's gotta be in charge, but the PMO is full of non-elected people who run the joint.

Back