• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

Draw a line just north of Barrie?
Some would say north of Steeles Ave. (or wherever the street lights stop). It would rival NL for federal equalization payments. Pretty much all of the wealth generated in the resource industries is reported either from Toronto or offshore.

I would say that it would be easier to keep the GTA and the western part of the Golden Horseshoe as Ontario and split of rest as separate provinces. West of the new (smaller) province of Ontario, you'd have Hurona with the capital at London. Split the area north of the new province (of Ontario) along the same line as the southern boundary of Quebec. The southern part could be called North Ontario (just to be cheeky) with the capital at Kingston. The northern part (that contains Ottawa) would end somewhere north of Petawawa and south of North Bay (not sure what to call it, maybe Ottawa, after the river, just for shits and giggles so that we'd have Ottawa, Ottawa :p). That would leave the whole north part of the current Province of Ontario as another province, capital at Sudbury (or Thunder Bay, maybe).
None of this will ever happen, of course, but I think that Ontario and Quebec are way too large and need to be split up into smaller provinces/territories just to balance things out in this country as a whole.

I would say that it would be easier to keep the GTA and the western part of the Golden Horseshoe as Ontario and split of rest as separate provinces. West of the new (smaller) province of Ontario, you'd have Hurona with the capital at London. Split the area north of the new province (of Ontario) along the same line as the southern boundary of Quebec. The southern part could be called North Ontario (just to be cheeky) with the capital at Kingston. The northern part (that contains Ottawa) would end somewhere north of Petawawa and south of North Bay (not sure what to call it, maybe Ottawa, after the river, just for shits and giggles so that we'd have Ottawa, Ottawa :p). That would leave the whole north part of the current Province of Ontario as another province, capital at Sudbury (or Thunder Bay, maybe).
None of this will ever happen, of course, but I think that Ontario and Quebec are way too large and need to be split up into smaller provinces/territories just to balance things out in this country as a whole.
Why not the opposite? Balance things out by condensing the Maritimes and prairies into two provinces?

The idea's been tossed about off and on for some time - with some in Kenora actually saying it out loud clearly - not to mention the NW becoming its own province. There's even a political party keen on making Northern Ontario a separate province.

I'm told this kind of boundary change would need a constitutional amendment sort of thing - and we all know the odds of THAT happening soon, easily and quickly, right?

Besides, would Winnipeg enjoy taking on the searing white-hot loathing of the centre from this part of the world once we break our shackles tying us to Toronto The Good? :)

Doug Ford is already taking steps that would create a Toronto City-State. The expansion of the GTA. The Golden Horseshoe. The more powerful mayor. All he needs to do is reallocate taxing powers to John Tory.

The stats come from Ottawa.

Homicide rates among census metropolitan areas highest in Regina, Thunder Bay and Winnipeg​

Rates are per capita. The per capita homicide rates of 36 municipalities are compared.

Release date: November 21, 2022

See also

Strong correlation between indigenous population and homicide rates.

Having dealt with rural emergency services during the blinding blizzard of early New Year's Eve in getting my hubby from our residence to a rural hospital and then the very expedient transfer into Ottawa Civic in 1.5 hours in extremely bad conditions with unplowed roads etc, it highlights why I vote those who consider an entire province and balance those requirements vice catering to the TO populace at the expense of all others. Witness my hydro bill. People should be in jail.
For being rural who have to deal with shitty conditions, dispersed residents and long drives to essential facilities, as you stated, these folks will ALWAYS cost more per person and be far less "monetarily efficient" ... but to this rural resident, they are worth it and the city folk who can't grasp that concept should get over it.

Assuming Queen's Park grants the divorce, will that increase or decrease rural / remote response times?

Why not the opposite? Balance things out by condensing the Maritimes and prairies into two provinces?
If it were easy to do that, it would've been done already, at least in the Maritimes. That area was supposed to have joined as a single province with ON and QC to form Canada, but PEI got cold feet at the last moment. That forced NB and NS to join separately, setting things up for what we have now. Easier to split up than convince people to form a bigger unit as they will feel that they would have less of a voice in a larger entity.
As an idea, nothing wrong with uniting the West and Maritimes into super provinces, but would never get the politicians to agree.

As long as that includes Gateau as well to form a Federal Capital Territory (kind of like Aussie's ACT) that would be fine.

Our ratepayers association says (n) to the "strong mayor". They say it will decrease our property values, nature and quality of life. "All politics is local." Tradition, unimpeded by progress. :)

But, they say you can't fight City Hall. Or, Queen's Park, for that matter.

How will Toronto and Ottawa's new 'strong mayor' powers work?​

Leaders of Ontario's two biggest cities will have new ways to exert influence once next council term starts​

Just have to wait to find out what that means for the neighbourhood. Sidewalks and more housing, I suppose. 🤦‍♂️

Making the mayors more powerful isn't the same as splitting the cities off as separate city-states/provinces. Basically, making mayors more powerful just makes them quasi-dictators. Not surprising that's supported by Doug Ford.

Or just merge PEI, NB, NS and NL into a single province called Irving; rename SK to "Alberta's Eastern Satrap", and use Manitoba to launch an unexpected invasion to liberate the Dakotas and rename it Greater Dakota.

I dont think you would ever get NFLD to join. But NB, PEI and NS should form a single province.

Without NL, you're limited to a single land front when the inevitable invasion of Quebec occurs.

The two main things standing in the way of a Maritime union are PEI (as with original confederation, they are worried about losing their voice in a bigger union) and the Acadians. I doubt a Maritime union would be officially bilingual (like NB is now) as there would be a large Anglophone majority with this union, making the Acadians even a smaller minority.

Our ratepayers association says (n) to the "strong mayor". They say it will decrease our property values, nature and quality of life. "All politics is local." Tradition, unimpeded by progress. :)

But, they say you can't fight City Hall. Or, Queen's Park, for that matter.

How will Toronto and Ottawa's new 'strong mayor' powers work?​

Leaders of Ontario's two biggest cities will have new ways to exert influence once next council term starts​

Just have to wait to find out what that means for the neighbourhood. Sidewalks and more housing, I suppose. 🤦‍♂️
The entire point of "Strong Mayors" is to overrule the NIMBYs preventing development required for Ontario's large cities to actually sustain their populations.

If the people who pump your gas, and stock the grocery store shelves can't find a place to live the city isn't sustainable.

We have quite a ways to go to "unsustainable". Choose London (UK) as an upper bound, for example. Has it collapsed yet?

Back