• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favorite Issued Kit

That bit about the gauntlets above reminder me of when I became a driver wheeled in the Militia and being allowed to draw my driver's gauntlets from the QM.

61jwiGRDKmL._AC_SL1051_.jpg

Not really any better than the ordinary leather gloves but one hell of a status symbol to a young 16 year-old.

:giggle:
They were pretty snazzy for riding a motorcycle in coolish weather too.

They were pretty snazzy for riding a motorcycle in coolish weather too.
Talk to some of the old guys on municipal PDs when they used to ride year-round. The extended cuff helped but you needed mitts if there was any hope of keeping your fingers warm. The trouble is, most wouldn't issue mitts.

I've been caught out down to 3*C w/o gauntlets but ride behind a fairing so more protected.

Am I the only person who loves the old OD combat pants? Lightweight and breathable, dry quickly, and have lots of pockets. I still wear mine for hiking and yardwork. Totally unflattering but I find them very functional and comfortable.

Am I the only person who loves the old OD combat pants? Lightweight and breathable, dry quickly, and have lots of pockets. I still wear mine for hiking and yardwork. Totally unflattering but I find them very functional and comfortable.

Excellent hunting pants. Bulky enough for long unddies. Hard to find now.

I have transitioned to a Wrangler light weight pant with an elastic waist band.

Excellent hunting pants. Bulky enough for long unddies. Hard to find now.

I have transitioned to a Wrangler light weight pant with an elastic waist band.

At age 52, I really understand stuff like this better now...

Cosmo Kramer Yes GIF

I liked the old OD "windpants" with suspenders during winter warfare...I put buttons on my hunting pants so they can be worn with a belt or suspenders...same as my issued CADPAT raingear (those snap button belt loops are useless).

The CADPAT ICE winter pants (not the bibs) are decent too...I just don't like being "obviously in the military" in the woods on civie-time...and Kanati is a better cam pattern, anyways, IMO.

The RCAF great coat was incredibly warm. Though not issued to me (as I didn't serve), it was issued to my father. After he passed in '89, it passed to me and became mine. I wore it while I was at university in Edmonton, and it kept me toasty warm even though I only wore a shirt and jeans underneath it. Of course, I wore winter boots, toque, scarf, and gloves. Still have it, but as I grew (the wrong way), it doesn't fit anymore. I'd say it was better than any down filled parka, as down tends to eventually clump together and lose some of its thermal quality.
If this post isn't kosher, as the great coat wasn't issued to me, feel free to delete it.

Cosmo Kramer Yes GIF

I liked the old OD "windpants" with suspenders during winter warfare...I put buttons on my hunting pants so they can be worn with a belt or suspenders...same as my issued CADPAT raingear (those snap button belt loops are useless).

The CADPAT ICE winter pants (not the bibs) are decent too...I just don't like being "obviously in the military" in the woods on civie-time...and Kanati is a better cam pattern, anyways, IMO.

Elastic waist bands are where its at. Especially if I double duff because the damn cooks made chocolate chip cookies again lol

That reminds me of version 1 of the RCAF Goretex jacket. AFAIK it was authorized for wear in basically no order of dress, after ~3 years it was abandoned in favour of a slightly different version (which I’ve similarly never worn) and they told us to just keep the old one. Greatest snow-blowing jacket ever!!

That reminds me of version 1 of the RCAF Goretex jacket. AFAIK it was authorized for wear in basically no order of dress, after ~3 years it was abandoned in favour of a slightly different version (which I’ve similarly never worn) and they told us to just keep the old one. Greatest snow-blowing jacket ever!!
The blue parka? It's nice...

Cosmo Kramer Yes GIF

I managed to retain an old pair of OD Bib winter overalls - awesome for snowblowing - don't shovel in them though.

The old winter warfare COLD code word - O stands for avoid Overheating and that is what happens.

I thought 'overheating' was impossible in Wpg from Oct 1st to April 1st. :D

I remember my winter in the 'Peg as "what the hell is wrong with this part of Canada!?!?!" cold when I walked from my shacks to breakfast (200'?) and my jacket suddenly felt like it turned into a lace shirt...-40 something or other without the wind.

I thought 'overheating' was impossible in Wpg from Oct 1st to April 1st. :D

I remember my winter in the 'Peg as "what the hell is wrong with this part of Canada!?!?!" cold when I walked from my shacks to breakfast (200'?) and my jacket suddenly felt like it turned into a lace shirt...-40 something or other without the wind.
Try shoveling snow at -10 C - mountains of the white shit - see how sweaty you get.

Cosmo Kramer Yes GIF

The ECU CADPAT pants have elastic too. Pretty comfy.

Oh god, am I old now? :ROFLMAO:

We wore it in Winnipeg. It wasn't authorized with DEUs but the Wing Commander directed that we could wear it anyway. Because it was Winnipeg.

Back