• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fat troops on the street....

One, two, another, and another, and another, and another........................ and another, etc..
see: only two

Springroll,

While water toxicity is a medical possibility, I defy you to find a pertinent example in the recent past, as it relates to this discussion. I have consumed in excess of 17-20L of water in a day, (in 50C heat though), and 12-15L while training for endurance races in the summer months.

There are no deleterious effects of thirst - based water consumption other than excessive urination.

You would vomit clear water several times before you could bring your hydration levels to anything near "toxic".

I would advise you not to spread this nonsense about being too hydrated, especially given that many rookie soldiers and athletes read this thread, and could be injured by this incorrect info.

Well, it is a very real possibility and just because you have not had problems does not mean that others won't. Too say that I am spreading nonsense is complete nonsense. Here are a few links for those interested in learning more about Hyponatremia or also known as Water Intoxication.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/hydration/a/hyponatremia.htm

http://www.jnj.com/news/jnj_news/20031030_105713.htm

http://www.healthtouch.com/bin/EContent_HT/cnoteShowLfts.asp?fname=02052&title=LIQUIDS+AND+HYDRATION+FOR+ATHLETES+&cid=HTHLTH

From your references...

"Participants in extreme athletic events, such as marathons and triathlons.."

· If an athlete's blood levels of sodium are low, he may also be confused, have trouble balancing and rarely may have seizures. Eat salty foods the week before competition, and drink liquids that have sodium to prevent low blood sodium. "

"Marathon runners approaching the starting line this year..."

I'm trying Springrolls, but I'm having a hard time drawing a comparison between someone who runs twice a week to extreme athletes and marathon runners.

These people are at risk of hyponatremia because they are SWEATING not because they are drinking! Hyponatremia is caused by low blood sodium, not excessive water consumption.

Once again, please get your facts straight before you make claims on this forum, where you may be mistaken for someone knowledgeable.

As far as I can tell, you are neither an extreme athlete nor a marathon runner. I am, and have been, both.

Water consumption is good for you - drink until your pee is clear, it helps you lose weight, aids in digestion and regulates all of the bodily functions.

Worst case scenario, you drink too much water, and feel a bit nauseous for a while, then pee alot - no harm done.

I do not appreciate you posting to me the way you are.
What I have posted is not mis-information, it is FACT.

I used to be an very serious athlete a long time ago, and even back then these facts were known. In elementray school these things were known. Now that I have been getting myself back into shape, I made sure I consulted my physician first, and she even warned me about intaking too much water. It is not an unknown fact. It was even brought up during my nurse aid training(Rresident Care Attendant) back in 1999.

I participated in the Royal Victoria Marathon twice before I was even 17 years old. I also participated in three a few triathalons while in high school. Not to forget to meantion my trips to the city and BC track Finals more than just a couple times. To make it sound like I have no experience at all with any serious physical activity is just rude and childish.

Can you present some facts to back up your side that this condition does NOT exist?
Just because you have not had any issues with it does NOT mean someone else won't.
The best bet is to present ALL information to people, not just what you feel is true and let them determine what they will do from there.

Springroll said:
... The best bet is to present ALL information to people, not just what you feel is true and let them determine what they will do from there.

Exactly.  You have just hoisted yourself by your own petard.
I'd like to thank GO!!! for jumping into this discussion (no para pun intended ...), and forcefully re-stating what I was also trying to point out - YOU presented "just what you feel is true" (and, it's pathetic to see your IA of having a hissy fit whenever somebody disagrees with you - you really are a piece of work).

Furthermore, GO!!! is 100% correct when he points out that many people read these discussions, and it is vital to dispell urban myths, rumours and incorrect information.

Specifically, many readers of Army.ca are soldiers or people appyling to be soldiers.  They need information tailored to their very distinct environment.  In this regard, it is an absolute fact that soldiers deployed on operations are exposed to climates and physical challenges much different from sedentary bumps on logs (e.g. during the Gulf War, troops in Kuwait had to drink huge amounts of water in order to remain safely hydrated - this is because they were sweating their butts off, while wearing body armour in a hot climate.  Ditto for Afghanistan, or any other mission in a hot/tropical climate).

Unfortunately, my reference is packed away in a box of books (because I just moved), or I'd  gladly whip it out and show you.

Do us all a favour:  Take a back seat for a change, and stop pretending you're a valued contributor to these forums.  It is a fact that you are rubbing far too many people the wrong way, and I'd like to offer my personal sympathies to your "hubby" - he must have the patience of a saint.  I no longer do.

I thought this topic was under Fat Troops on the Street, not Keeping Soldiers Hydrated.

None of what i presented and posted was false or "what i feel to be true". If it was, then those links must be my own personal websites.
I have done nothing wrong with posting information that is readily available on the internet about the subject at hand. I have asked to see some proof that the condition does NOT exist and will wait until I see it.

Now, I can understand what you are saying about keeping our soldiers safe while they are deployed to places of extreme heat and that they do need to drink alot of water to replace what they are sweating out, but for someone(fat troops) to be getting into shape and drinking that much water here in Canada is just absurd.

If I feel I have something beneficial to add to a topic, then I will. Just because I started off on the wrong foot when I joined this site does not mean I am doing so now. I also do not like you insulting me. I have not resorted to such tactics and would hope that you would treat me with the same courtesy as I have extended to you.

Now back onto topic....

Clang.....
everyone back to their corner.
Time for a drink of water & a breather.

Noooooo, not water....I'm meeeeelllltiiiing....... ;D

Can I just ask, when you people are referring to "water toxicity" are you referring to third area storage of water in the body, or some sort of negative blood cell effects from too much water?

Basically, it's the dilution of electrolytes, causing an imbalance.  I would imagine some form of salt pills would alleviate the problem in tropical areas.  My Dad served in Kenya in the 50's (Mau Mau), and they lined up for their weeklies.  As long as your a relatively healthy individual, you would need to drink a buttload of water to be effected.

Wow,

Although relatively new here, I know a hissy fit when I see one...I would recommend Bossi take a cold shower. Perhaps I misunderstood what the 'Directing Staff' label meant, but I didn't think it was a license to make personal attacks on contributors and/or imply that some posters are more equal and deserving than others.

You can all relax in the knowledge that only the most challenged would consider visiting this site in order to glean water consuption tips from the pros....

I'm going to try one last time before pulling pole on this "discussion".

Hyponatremia is a lack of salt in the body.

It is caused by performing SEVERAL HOURS of intense physical training or work in an extreme environment, followed by drinking a large amount of water, without supplementing with salt. This causes a dilution of the remaining salt in the body.

Hyponatremia is NOT caused by working out for an hour, then drinking several glasses of water. You may feel sick to your stomach for a short while, but you are not suffering from this condition.

If you are performing 2 hours or less of cardio, or the equivalent work/rest/water ratio (see army pam on desert working conditions) you are not at risk of hyponatremia.

If you are just starting out as an athlete, it is not a risk for you, unless you are malnourished, or operating in a very hot climate.

In addition to this, the average Canadian consumes 3-5 times the daily reccomended allowance of sodium (salt), so the idea of a rookie athlete suffering from this condition is minimal.

Personally, I find that after long periods of PT, I crave salt, which is just my body stocking up again. Medically though, there is nothing wrong.

Anyhoo, I too have grown tired of Springroll's incessant bleating on a matter she is obviously sorely lacking experience or knowledge in, and will now respectfully retire.

REMEMBER - DRINK AS MUCH WATER AS YOU CAN STOMACH - IT IS GOOD FOR YOU!!

GO!!! has provided the best information so far on this whole hyponatremia discussion.

I participated in several sprint distance adventure races this summer, up to 90 km in distance and through sensible use of electrolyte drinks like Gatorade and e-load was NEVER in danger of this condition. As a matter of fact I probably had too much sodium intake.  Like GO!!! said, the average person isn't going to encounter this problem, and if you are involved in marathons, ultras, ar or whatever, with simple precautions (drink sports drinks) you will be okay....

If you are working out for an hour or two, you probably don't even need to use sport drinks, just use plain water and eat sensibly.

I am locking this up. Too far off topic, and it seems even the tangent has been settled. If someone else wants to open up a new topic on fat troops, be my guest.

kcdist - Thanks for the help, but the Owner polices the Mods here, when (rarely) required. For terrible trangressions by anybody, including Mods - we always encourage everyone to use the "Report.." button. kcdist - PM inbound

Back