• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Effect of Rowe v. Wade reversal in the US Military.

I knew I shouldn't open this thread.

Ok I would assume I member could get a flight home to attend in this matter. If you OUTCAN is near the border take a drive. The guy I met didn't even live in the States on his OUTCAN just drove over every morning.

That said there 700 members in the states. It this procedure required that much? Really can't see it. I expect more from people than sometimes I should.

Why would they need to return to Canada? Even though the number of states where an abortion may be available has diminished considerably since this SCOTUS decision, there are still providers available in many states. The distance that one would have to go may have increased but for some it may not have changed at all (e.g., Colorado, New York, California, etc . . . ). There are locations in Canada where CF members and dependents have to travel farther to find an abortion clinic.

There may be more recent statistics than these mentioned in an 1989 article
She was the chief medical officer at a military base at Bagotville, Quebec. As evidence, she said 40 women became pregnant at the base, and only one chose to continue her pregnancy. "It's an impressive statistic," she said.

. . . the Department of Defence brought out its own statistics. Between 1980 and 1987, the department said, there were 261 abortions performed, and about 60 percent of those women continued their careers with the military. Over the same period, more than 1,200 servicewomen had babies, and about 70 percent of them stayed with the military.

There are probably not large numbers involved, either in the past or the future. Even with this new situation, my expectation is that there will be little change in the procedures for either referral to a US abortion clinic or the reimbursement of any expenses.

Part of the issue is the hard lines taken by both sides of the debate.

For the Pro Life side abortion is murder. For the Pro Choice side abortion bans are taking away control from women over their own bodies. I think it would be fair to say that neither side is "Pro Abortion".

Nobody sees termination of a fetus as the preferred outcome. If both sides worked as hard on improving education, provision of contraception, social services for the poor and mentally ill, access to free/affordable pre- and postnatal healthcare, improved adoption services, etc. as they do fighting each other for their black and white positions then the number of women seeking abortions would be vastly lower with most likely related to special circumstances like life-threatening medical issues and extraordinary circumstances like rape where much broader general agreement on the acceptability of the procedure would be likely. Only the hardliners on each end of the spectrum would still be losing their sh!t over the issue.

$.02

I still find it remarkable that in 2022 with multiple contraceptive options available some folks think murdering an unborn child is acceptable.
However, you'll always have the few whose monthly cheque, ovulation and multiple partners per night coincide. I've already stated my views about those that use abortion as birth control.

For the Pro Life side abortion is murder. For the Pro Choice side abortion bans are taking away control from women over their own bodies. I think it would be fair to say that neither side is "Pro Abortion".

Nobody sees termination of a fetus as the preferred outcome. If both sides worked as hard on improving education, provision of contraception, social services for the poor and mentally ill, access to free/affordable pre- and postnatal healthcare, improved adoption services, etc. as they do fighting each other for their black and white positions then the number of women seeking abortions would be vastly lower with most likely related to special circumstances like life-threatening medical issues and extraordinary circumstances like rape where much broader general agreement on the acceptability of the procedure would be likely. Only the hardliners on each end of the spectrum would still be losing their sh!t over the issue.

$.02

There have been some studies on this subject, about which I have no opinion!

Relationships Between Contraception and Abortion: A Review of the Evidence​

CONTEXT: The relationship between levels of contraceptive use and the incidence of induced abortion continues to provoke heated discussion, with some observers arguing that use of abortion decreases as contraceptive prevalence rises and others claiming that increased use of family planning methods causes abortion incidence to rise.

METHODS: Abortion trends are examined in countries with reliable data on abortion and with contraceptive prevalence information from two points in time showing increases in contraceptive use. The role of changes in fertility in mediating the relationship between abortion and contraception is also explored.

RESULTS: In seven countries—Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Uzbekistan, Bulgaria, Turkey, Tunisia and Switzerland—abortion incidence declined as prevalence of modern contraceptive use rose. In six others—Cuba, Denmark, Netherlands, the United States, Singapore and the Republic of Korea—levels of abortion and contraceptive use rose simultaneously. In all six of these countries, however, overall levels of fertility were falling during the period studied. After fertility levels stabilized in several of the countries that had shown simultaneous rises in contraception and abortion, contraceptive use continued to increase and abortion rates fell. The most clear-cut example of this trend is the Republic of Korea.

CONCLUSIONS: Rising contraceptive use results in reduced abortion incidence in settings where fertility itself is constant. The parallel rise in abortion and contraception in some countries occurred because increased contraceptive use alone was unable to meet the growing need for fertility regulation in situations where fertility was falling rapidly.

$.02
Even here in Canada, a hard and scientific review of the question would like land most Canadians into the middle between the two sides. Abortions legal to a certain point and only after that point if the mothers life is in critical danger.

Back