• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CRCN Message on the Steward Occupation Town Hall (Steward trade elimination)

Not having knowledge in their specialty and hoping for serendipity that someone might gain that knowledge despite the training system does not strike me as an optimal method to develop professional technicians.
That's not what I said. They have knowledge in their specialty. From their S1 promotion to their PO1 promotion they mainly work on their specialty equipment. But their scholastic background and apprenticeship from S3 to S1 is common and you do a short stint in all the specialties as part of your OJT. (I think I got the new ranks right here). The other advantage is that often they are able to choose their specialty after experiencing all of them, instead of joining a specialty right at the recruiting center not knowing what they are getting into.

I was just remarking that if they are a complete nerd in their own job then they get that crazy deep knowledge no matter how late they start specializing.

Wait. Stewards actually cleaned Officers’ rooms?!

They vacuumed them, yes. But that's the extent of it.

With the only exception being the Captain's cabin, their STW was tasked with cleaning it.

My trade cleans the officers heads for cleaning stations. That was fun...

Wait. Stewards actually cleaned Officers’ rooms?!
Do you mean you don't have room service at your hotels?? ;)

Not tidy the room. Wipe down the sink, vacuum, and dump out the wastebin at the most. That's basically it. If you were a disgusting pig the stewards would not go in and the XO would come to visit for an adult conversation shortly thereafter.

Do you mean you don't have room service at your hotels?? ;)

Not tidy the room. Wipe down the sink, vacuum, and dump out the wastebin at the most. That's basically it. If you were a disgusting pig the stewards would not go in and the XO would come to visit for an adult conversation shortly thereafter.
Honestly just preferred cleaning myself; it was a break from the usual workload and felt like a normal human being. I think aside from emptying the wastebin in the normal walkthrough along the flats that was about it.

MARENG is an ongoing nightmare; we deliberately chose the option our allies all told us not to do (and that the RN did and then reverted back to not that). Will probably take us another decade to sort it out, if there is a navy left.

Don't get the focus on the future fleet though; the frigates are here for another 25 years and is still the bulk of the navy. You can drop trades on some ships without eliminating it on the fleet, and CSC will be basically crewed the same as the CPFs. Someone still needs to do the cooking functions and cleaning up and it is much easier to have a few people do it efficiently than have 250 people try and do it poorly.

You mean what I've read on social media about how cushy the Wardroom has it might be wrong? :ROFLMAO:
Yes the wardroom was very cushy especially when the furniture tries to kill you. The entire dining table broke loose late one night, during high seas and I had to dive over the bar to avoid being crushed by tumbling shattered furniture. The worst part was I spilled my tea...

Sometimes CFAT predicts nothing. There are cultural bias' in many tests like that. There is a reason the French and English scores are different. Because different languages mean different thinking.
Sure I get it. Sometimes gender requirements means people get a pass too, including acceptance to our hallowed establishment of truth, duty and valour.

Being a steward sounds terrible to me. They should get their pick of trades with wide arcs.

I can see a situation where a PO2 steward has proven themselves and OT's to stores or finance for example, even if their CFAT doesn't line up perfectly.
I don't want to risk a conversation about the science behind cfat scoring but I feel like a lot of us can be quickly and easily cross trained in most jobs regardless of knowing fractions or what inside out boxes look like.

I feel like a lot of us can be quickly and easily cross trained in most jobs regardless of knowing fractions or what inside out boxes look like.
Agree. Proven learning and behaviors are better predictors of success than tested for behaviors and learning. As soon as you are past S1 then there is a higher chance of success in a new trade as you've demonstrated your competence at various tasks and learning abilities.

There is likely more of a delta to make up if your educational background doesn't line up with the new trade. If you've never done advanced math in school its going to be a terrible time trying to learn to be a Weapons Engineering Tech.

I don't want to risk a conversation about the science behind cfat scoring but I feel like a lot of us can be quickly and easily cross trained in most jobs regardless of knowing fractions or what inside out boxes look like.
While it's a good indicator of aptitude and ability from the onset, I agree that practical experience and assessment are prime.

I would fold them into the Log Branch and let them have their pick between MMT or FSA.

While it's a good indicator of aptitude and ability from the onset, I agree that practical experience and assessment are prime.

I would fold them into the Log Branch and let them have their pick between MMT or FSA.
I would just let them have their pick, period. Every CAF occupation is short. They can’t help but fill a hole, someplace.

Back