• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CP-140 Aurora

I was under the impression - quite possibly in error - that Saab initially developed the concept with their sensor & EW package, but that Bombardier came onboard as the project-lead due to them manufacturing the aircraft, and knowing how to implement/install it into their airframe easier than the Swedes could have done without the expertise from the manufacturer.

I could very well be wrong. I don't recall Bombardier ever taking the self-initiative to develop a MPA/ISR/EW suite, or militarize, any of their small business jet models.

ping pong cat GIF

I could very well be wrong. I don't recall Bombardier ever taking the self-initiative to develop a MPA/ISR/EW suite, or militarize, any of their small business jet models.

Maybe not their business jets, but in the early to mid eighties, they did propose to the government to build secondary MPA's using their then CL-415 water bomber, as replacements for the soon to be retired Trackers. I even have a model of it somewhere in a box. It was given to me when I inspected the Canadair Air cadet Corps.

The loss of the Trackers, even though they were not the ASW beast they once were when they retired, greatly overburdened the Aurora's. The Tackers were doing good work in Sovpats, Fishpats, pollution patrols and generally showing the flag around the East coast. A replacement would have been nice and saved a lot of extra work from the Aurora's.

Maybe not their business jets, but in the early to mid eighties, they did propose to the government to build secondary MPA's using their then CL-415 water bomber, as replacements for the soon to be retired Trackers. I even have a model of it somewhere in a box. It was given to me when I inspected the Canadair Air cadet Corps.

The loss of the Trackers, even though they were not the ASW beast they once were when they retired, greatly overburdened the Aurora's. The Tackers were doing good work in Sovpats, Fishpats, pollution patrols and generally showing the flag around the East coast. A replacement would have been nice and saved a lot of extra work from the Aurora's.
Viking could still fill that gap with the CL-515, which might be a good supplement to the Auroras, but I suspect the RCAF will fear the government would use that buy as an excuse not to replace the Auroras with an equal capable aircraft. Maritime Mission | Viking's Aerial Firefighter

There's an article in the 05 Apr 2021 edition of The Aurora about Block 4, focused on tech trg @ 404, but talks some in general, as well. If you look closely at the picture on the cover page, you can partially see some of the new displays in the upper "tac rail" section.

Link to PDF

Here's a good, recent picture of a Block 4 aircraft, shared from the CP-140 FB group. "Test team from AETE and crew members from 415 with the new Blk IV Aurora, AC 111, that just completed flight science testing at CFB Greenwood" April 20221

Attachments

• B4, 111.jpg
    B4, 111.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 30
Funny I just saw this while watching this movie. occasionally very good and with some silly bits

A neat video of an older search store...
Actually, that SSQ-101 ADAR is one of the most modern (and effective) sonobuoys available right now. P-8A continues to employ it exclusively for Enhanced Multistatic reception. A marvel of mechanical engineering and incredibly expensive...
That video stirred a small hornets nest when it hit youtube a few years ago. The buoy's array geometry was rather 'sensitive'.

Alright...so someone ( think it was an ASO, TBH) mislead me! (NASOs....demonstrating what NASO means)

Wait...how do I know that YOU know what you're talking about? 😁

Suspicious Season 9 GIF by The Office

Alright...so someone ( think it was an ASO, TBH) mislead me! (NASOs....demonstrating what NASO means)
LOL. You can impress your friends with your new-found knowledge of USN stock sonobuoys. A "Cliff Claven" moment for the crew room!

Wait...how do I know that YOU know what you're talking about? 😁
You're going to have to trust me on this one. ;)

Would I Lie Liar GIF

Think of it more as a prop upgrade with a few necessary engines ones to enable the first...

Back