• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cost of housing in Canada

If only developers had such an easy time developing without the consent and connivance of city hall. They can only develop under terms set by politicians. If the situation is unacceptable, it's the politicians you ought be aiming at.
Most of the politicians at the local level get a lot of their funding from developers and I got a taste of the pressure that developers put on staff and politicians and methods used. I would say that many developers use questionable and borderline ways of getting what they want. Part of the fault is the apathy that plagues municipals elections, if we could get better voter turnout, I suspect it would empower politicians more. At the moment I say the developers hold most of the cards and City Hall is in reaction mode.

Unsurprising. Like all governments, City Hall is pinched for money. The kinds of work public servants do are not amenable to substantial productivity increases, but compensation generally has to at least keep pace with growth among the jobs which are. Growth above that level, though, is on the politicians, who create their own funding crises.

Someone who holds real estate should also have looked into what kind of market Edmonton has. I know people who have been holding property in Ed for a long time hoping the prices might improve.

A point which will probably go overlooked: people who think like her and want to live like her, voting their interests, compared to the people with families who want to go home at the end of the day. Another strong anecdote for subsidiarity in government.

Plenty of available research.

Want to join the infantry? Watch Full Metal Jacket.

Airforce? Top Gun.

Navy? Das Boot

Want to be a reservist? Southern Comfort.

Fail to plan - plan to fail. When you life revolves around work, bars and restaurants, 45 or 50 is going to be shock. I'm surprised she deigns to visit family in Barrie.

Oof. No time spent on recce. Sounds like she probably would have done better in Calgary. And taking that leap without scoping out the job market first is just careless.
The line about why anyone would want to leave TO irked me. I get that it’s in Toronto Life, but have they never heard of the scene in Montreal, Vancouver, or even Quebec City?

Like the young loggie (Army) at mil Col who wanted Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal as their first posting and surprised to find out they got Wainwright.
You’re in the Army, do some research, you had 4 years to figure it out. 🤔

The line about why anyone would want to leave TO irked me. I get that it’s in Toronto Life, but have they never heard of the scene in Montreal, Vancouver, or even Quebec City?
In fairness to Toronto, there are a lot of people who can't imagine how anyone could choose to live somewhere other than where they live.

In fairness to Toronto, there are a lot of people who can't imagine how anyone could choose to live somewhere other than where they live.
Yup. Toronto’s by no means unique, and it’s not just a big city thing either.

Nothing wrong with that. We’re all allowed to live where we live or come from.

stares suspiciously at Winnipeg

People are impulsive, but presumably someone who owns more than one rental property would have learned to look into things.

Back