• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Close Area Suppression Weapon (was Company Area Suppression Weapon)

Jim Seggie said:
Problem is that is a recoiless weapon. I think the recoil from an HMG or C 16 would shake that to pieces in no time.

The Silverado milcots get shaken to pieces by just driving, but definitely agree with you there.  >:D

Good idea fairy at work:

Let's trial them on the Silverado Milcot, the G Wagon and an LOSV.

Jim Seggie said:
Good idea fairy at work:

Let's trial them on the Silverado Milcot, the G Wagon and an LOSV.

I just imagined a C16 mounted to the turret of a G-Wagon...shooting at the 9 o'clock and rolling over...

Having said all this:

Using a GATOR or truck or something to haul ammo in an A1 ech is good.  Along with the weapon itself.  You cannot man-pack this thing on a dismounted advance such that on contact, you can start using it.  There are limitations, huge ones.  But there are ways to use it effectively, I'm certain.

Jim Seggie said:
Any thought to taking these paperweights on the road and display them to the PRes Infantry units?

I bet dollars to donuts some "good idea fairy" will have the idea to pass them on to the PRes to man. ;D
Sometime in the late 70's or early 80's There was paper advocating just that turning The PRes into Fire Support Battalions You'd have Mortar companies  (81 MM ) , MG companies  (.50/ 7.62 ) and a RCL Company ( 84 mm & 106 MM ) .One battalion per REGForce Brigade.

GK .Dundas said:
Sometime in the late 70's or early 80's There was paper advocating just that turning The PRes into Fire Support Battalions You'd have Mortar companies  (81 MM ) , MG companies  (.50/ 7.62 ) and a RCL Company ( 84 mm & 106 MM ) .One battalion per REGForce Brigade.

In the same "everything old is new again" vein you could also resurrect Perrin Beatty's VP (Vital Point) battalions.  A couple of emplaced C16s sound like just the thing to protect your local Post Office.

Kirkhill said:
In the same "everything old is new again" vein you could also resurrect Perrin Beatty's VP (Vital Point) battalions.  A couple of emplaced C16s sound like just the thing to protect your local Post Office.
Is that sorta like the Territorial Battalions?

Kirkhill said:

Points are not points anymore.  Points transition faster than a man can track; they are small and they move very quickly.

Even more frightening than the idea that 40mm Bofers ammunition would be delivered to the range is the misunderstanding of 40mm HV ammunition vs 40mm M-203 ammunition.

If they were smart they would have dubbed the CASW a "41mm" grenade launcher, just like we had the "106mm" Recoiiless rifle. (Next time you go to a museum, bring a tape measure... ;))

milnews.ca said:
Just like these "man portable over a short distance" beauties from the past....
recoilaf_1x.jpg

.... only newer and shinier, right?

I can't help but wonder how you managed to secure a photo of the Phallic Symbol, Pink, 106mm, Recoiless. I assume that this is on issue with the soon to be announced 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' anti-wank units being deployed as part of the new diversification strategy....  ;D

Thucydides said:
Even more frightening than the idea that 40mm Bofers ammunition would be delivered to the range is the misunderstanding of 40mm HV ammunition vs 40mm M-203 ammunition.

If they were smart they would have dubbed the CASW a "41mm" grenade launcher, just like we had the "106mm" Recoiiless rifle. (Next time you go to a museum, bring a tape measure... ;))
I'm waiting for some bright spark to try loading an HV round In the 203' .Please please  tell me they wont chamber in a M203!.
106 gotcha ! Used to pal around with a former weapons Tech Who was a vertible storehouse of some of the oddest military minutiae

I'm pretty sure you can't load a 40mm HV in a M-203, but soldiers will do the darndest things....

Perhaps the only saving grace is we don't use the HK underbarrel grenade launcher. It swings out to the side so you can load rounds of any length into the barrel

Thucydides said:
I'm pretty sure you can't load a 40mm HV in a M-203, but soldiers will do the darndest things....

Perhaps the only saving grace is we don't use the HK underbarrel grenade launcher. It swings out to the side so you can load rounds of any length into the barrel
Yeah thank god for small favors! Back to 4O MM Bofors  for a moment the reason the thought occurred to me at all was I can remember walking in to an armory in the early to mid eighties and finding a pallet  about to returned to what ever ammo store had delivered 76 MM ammo for their Cougars. Only thing was it wasn't 76.MM low pressure .It was the stuff the old Sherman's  had used !
I think one of the rounds was actually longer the entire gun  complete with breech!

Having worked with a force that uses the HK grenade launcher and the HK GMG, I can say that as long as you are as smart as a British squaddie there shouldn't be a problem with mixing the ammo.  For one thing you gotta get the link off the cartridge case first.

daftandbarmy said:
I can't help but wonder how you managed to secure a photo of the Phallic Symbol, Pink, 106mm, Recoiless. I assume that this is on issue with the soon to be announced 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' anti-wank units being deployed as part of the new diversification strategy....  ;D
Looks greenon my screen - just sayin'....  ;D

I was at a shoot with MARSOC a while back, and they had a 'soft' mount that was going to allow the M2 and Mk19, so I would assume the C16 could be done in a similar shock mitigating mount on a light vehicle.

It should be impossible to get 40mm HV into a M203 or M320 (new HK GL down here) however I've seen a soldier from the 82nd actually chamber and fire one in a M203 -- catastophic damage ensued to weapon (M16 and M203) and Soldier... 

Jay4th said:
Still waiting...  We would probably have an easier time resurecting Machine Gun platoon with a dozen C16 automatic grenade launchers.

That's exactly how the Russians employ the AGS-17 -- as an automatic grenade launcher platoon held at battalion level.

What are we doing with the C16? Given the size of the weapon and the ammo, it certainly seems like a battalion level weapon.

Jay4th said:
Still waiting...  We would probably have an easier time resurecting Machine Gun platoon with a dozen C16 automatic grenade launchers.
It's all about being PY neutral.  Assume 3 pers per platoon in the Weapons' Det moved into a MG Platoon.  3 platoons/coy and 3 coys/bn That's 27 pers in an MG platoon.  Is that enough?

Technoviking said:
Having said all this:

Using a GATOR or truck or something to haul ammo in an A1 ech is good.  Along with the weapon itself.  You cannot man-pack this thing on a dismounted advance such that on contact, you can start using it.  There are limitations, huge ones.  But there are ways to use it effectively, I'm certain.

It's been done
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/AAFTankMuseum/SelfPropelledGuns/Mule106mmRecoillessGun/images/Mule106mmRecoillessGun.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/AAFTankMuseum/SelfPropelledGuns/Mule106mmRecoillessGun/pages/Mule106mmRecoillessGun.htm&usg=__rgDqpqeBTG5v1S85J9w0ANaCz5w=&h=449&w=650&sz=55&hl=en&start=1&sig2=vVkqR_QhBodUqQ7y8mIVVw&zoom=1&tbnid=ImmULVJfZ72CpM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=137&ei=JflQUIfgAoy0rAfy1IDABw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dmule%2Bwith%2B106mm%2Brecoilless%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

Back