• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cleaning helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

KanD

Inactive
Reaction score
Can anyone please advise on how to go about cleaning the inside of a helmet? My intention here is to get rid of the smell from perspiration.

So far, I have been doing the following (with poor results):
1. Using a damp cloth and wiping the inside of the helmet;
2. Letting the helmet air dry.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated - cheers.

Drown that bastard!

Honestly, let it get a good thorough washing. I'm not saying to scrub it, but a good rinse and air dry does it good.

auto-sapper said:
Drown that *******!

Honestly, let it get a good thorough washing. I'm not saying to scrub it, but a good rinse and air dry does it good.

Can the entire helmet (excluding cover) be fully submerged? I'm concerned that the foam will wear out as a result.

Messorius said:
Is it the whole helmet or just the leather that's stanky?

The entire inside of the helmet. The leather head strap can be cleaned, and remain odour free, with no issue.

KanD said:
Can the entire helmet (excluding cover) be fully submerged? I'm concerned that the foam will wear out as a result.

The entire inside of the helmet. The leather head strap can be cleaned, and remain odour free, with no issue.

Oh heck no. The foam might get a bit denser if it's left in long enough to absorb water but it shouldn't hurt it.  Take out the straps and etc and scrub it in a tub of really warm water with a generous amount shampoo or gentle dish soap, then rinse. It's a safe way to clean motorcycle helmets, so I don't see why it wouldn't work for that.

The foam is Styrofoam and won't absorb water. Go to stores and get a new harness and install it. Then forget about all the angst over cleaning a helmet. It's a helmet! Designed to be worn in all elements, it's weatherproof.

If you agonize over something this trivial, you're in for a long haul. Use your senior Cpl and MCpl to teach you the little stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back