• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF experience relevant to RCMP, civ policing? (merged)

Hey Sir Mariomike,

Yes #174 is me. I understand that joining the police service, all must start from the bottom.

May I ask, did you serve in the military as medtech?

Medical field and policing are two different responsibilities (quoting JesseWZ), and I am wondering if it is not a bad or good choice in any way. I want in the medtech trade and in military because it is what interests me and the experience. I also like the idea of being a police in the community. What do you think of this?

Thanks

justin9 said:

No, I was a Transport Operator ( MSE Op ) in the militia.

justin9 said:
Hey Sir Mariomike,

Yes #174 is me. I understand that joining the police service, all must start from the bottom.

Medical field and policing are two different responsibilities (quoting JesseWZ), and I am wondering if it is not a bad or good choice in any way. I want in the medtech trade and in military because it is what interests me and the experience. I also like the idea of being a police in the community. What do you think of this?

Thanks

There's nothing wrong with your plan. The things the military can give you that are valuable to a police force don't depend much on your trade. You will not learn how to be a cop in the military unless you're an MP. The police don't expect you to already know how to be a cop when you join; they will teach you.

If you really want to do community policing, look at OPP or RCMP. Best chances of going to a small community with a handful of officers.

I'm 21 years old and want to apply to be in the CF infantry, I was wondering if that could possibly lead to a career in the forces or if it could help me become an RCMP officer, Thank you.

NovaScotianInfantry said:
I'm 21 years old and want to apply to be in the CF infantry, I was wondering if that could possibly lead to a career in the forces or if it could help me become an RCMP officer, Thank you.

CF experience relevant to RCMP, civ policing? (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/32733.0
9 pages.

NovaScotianInfantry said:

Yes, it can form part of the 'bigger picture' of you as a person that could lead to a successful RCMP application in some years. Most (but not all) of those Iv'e seen successfully joint he RCMP from the combat arms have been in for some years and have leadership experience. However military experience typically won't do the job on its own. Realistically not many people become mounties now without college or university education, and you'll need to show community involvement/volunteering too.

So it's a vague answer, but I can say with certainty that it's an accurate one.

To the Original Poster,

The box on the lower right says, "60 per cent of them had more than high school education (ranging from certificates to graduate degrees)."
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/gazette/vol76no3/cover-dossier/recruit-recrute-eng.htm

Nothing about what percentage had CF experience. But it did say, "their average age was 29 years old."

Back