• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF experience relevant to RCMP, civ policing? (merged)

Thanks for those links. Sounds like something I could do until my time to join the CF comes.

Phoenix80 said:
Thanks for those links. Sounds like something I could do until my time to join the CF comes.

From what I have read, your plan is to become a city Police Officer, and become a Reservist in your spare time?
Do city police officers have time to be CF 'reservists' at all? I am thinking of maybe becoming a police officer, if my CF application is going to take forever to be processed.

mariomike said:
From what I have read, your plan is to become a city Police Officer, and become a Reservist in your spare time?

I am considering that.

Phoenix80 said:

I don't get this post. Are you saying that you are going to go through a year long application process with a four percent chance of being hired while you wait to join the forces?

Container said:
I don't get this post. Are you saying that you are going to go through a year long application process with a four percent chance of being hired while you wait to join the forces?
My bad. I should've explained better.

4% chance of being hired by my local police force? Why is that so low? The problem is that I am waiting to receive my Canadian citizenship and it may come any moment now. Don't know when but it will be some time in 2014. But given the long wait time to process one's background check during the CF application process (2 yrs), I decided I'd do a part time law enforcement duty here until everything is set.
I hope this clarifies the issue.

Phoenix80 said:

4% chance of being hired by my local police force? Why is that so low? The problem is that I am waiting to receive my Canadian citizenship and it may come any moment now. Don't know when but it will be some time in 2014. But given the long wait time to process one's background check during the CF application process (2 yrs), I decided I'd do a part time law enforcement duty here until everything is set.

Yes, hiring rates can be that low. When I applied for my municipal force, they took 12 people out of the 1300 of us in that cohort who applied. When I applied to my current force, I was one of about 350 people who got in during a year of 10,000+ applications.

It's a very good career with great pay and benefits, and a generally very interesting job. Lots of people want to do it, and so it's very competitive.

Interesting. Thanks. Was that a big city police force, if I may ask?!

Phoenix80 said:
Interesting. Thanks. Was that a big city police force, if I may ask?!

This is pretty much common across forces at any level. Municipal, OPP / SQ, RCMP... All very hard to get into.

Phoenix80 said:

I was just curious- you dont owe me an explanation. Just trying to follow- but yes police work is ridiculous competitive up here.

I saw your posts regarding minor arrests and your app to the cf. that would affect your application to the police- your background check would include reaching out to the departments where you have lived.

Container said:
I saw your posts regarding minor arrests and your app to the cf. that would affect your application to the police- your background check would include reaching out to the departments where you have lived.
What do you mean?
I've only lived in one city in Canada the whole time. I must add that the charges I'd mentioned, were related to a protest on a univ campus many years ago.

Phoenix80 said:
What do you mean?
I've only lived in one city in Canada the whole time. I must add that the charges I'd mentioned, were related to a protest on a univ campus many years ago.

They will come up anyway. Be prepared to explain yourself and why that behaviour no longer reflects on who you are.

Yes, of course. I guess the path to glory goes through shame. I will be frank with them and myself.

Disclosure of past sins is EVERYONEs awkward moment.

The interviewer will have done the same to his interviewer. We ve all been there.

Container said:
Disclosure of past sins is EVERYONEs awkward moment.

The interviewer will have done the same to his interviewer. We ve all been there.

I have no problem with that. However I thought once the records got destroyed, they won't be showing up in future background checks.

No your criminal record is gone. Not the arrest report etc.

So when you cross the border,or apply for a job, or a police officer on the street runs your name, your criminal record is gone.

But the incident happened. So when a background check/investigation is completed it is possible it comes up. A neighbour or associate tells the investigator, an old teacher......when I did background checks all sorts of information came up.

That's interesting. Though the recruiter told m yesterday that the federal govt is able to see everything. LMAO!

Hi,

I join medical technician regular force. After contract, which I believe is 5 years, I plan to join the community police services. Is this a good or bad idea? Please can I have some opinion or views on this career/life development?

Thank you

justin9 said:
I join medical technician regular force. After contract, which I believe is 5 years, I plan to join the community police services. Is this a good or bad idea? Please can I have some opinion or views on this career/life development?

See Reply #174.

Back