• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Well, lets see then: You are going to have a damn good anti-submarine suite, with Aegis and SM family of missiles you'll have a good area air defense suite, 5 inch gun and land attack missile, not to mention NG anti-ship missile. That's a pretty well rounded general purpose vessel there.

That would make them destroyers, IMHO.

I still think Cruiser is a better name to avoid the inevitable backlash from the Canadian audience on Destroyers.

This has come up a few times at the working level in the NATO WG I'm on; essentially it is up to the country and the 'classification' doesn't really matter anyway as they are a legacy from WW1 and 2.

I think the only given is that there will be someone with hurt feelings regardless of what we call them.

If we call them 'destroyers' hopefully we give them names, mottos and crests that sound like they are coming for a fight. The CPF ones are almost all lame AF.

I still think Cruiser is a better name to avoid the inevitable backlash from the Canadian audience on Destroyers.

Well, last time we built warships, we called the program the "Canadian Patrol Frigate". Sounds innocuous enough: more like your friendly cop on the beat than soldierly. :)

This time around, its called the CSC - Canadian Surface Combatant - that's already up in intensity over the last program's name.

So, since we are already calling it a combatant, perhaps there wont be any qualms using a more forceful Destroyer moniker. ;)

There won't be a blacklash. Ships in Canada have never been classified based on political "fear" of sounding to warlike. The CPF's were frigates in role and in name. The Tribals were always destroyers even after their refit. And before that the ships were almost all named destroyers.

Given that Canadians are coming around to more military spending in polls just sounding like you're spending money on the military is probably looking more attractive (then actually doing it).

Back