• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Automated Pilot Selection System (CAPSS)

I want to say 2 years, but I cannot find the reference after a quick search. A thorough look through all the CAPSS threads on this site should turn up your answer. Best of luck.

benny88 said:
I want to say 2 years, but I cannot find the reference after a quick search. A thorough look through all the CAPSS threads on this site should turn up your answer. Best of luck.

From what I've heard, forever... know a few guys who did it before RMC, but didn't get pilot and eventually enrolled as pilot 5,6,7 years down the road.

Contact your CFRC/D as they should have something in the recruiting bible about expirations of quals.

hey ..guys , anybody know about CAPSS ,, i have exam soon,,, they said it will be pin and paper, ..what i should study..please eamil at sono_toronto@yahoo.com..thanx for help :mad:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36026.0

That thread may help you but judging by your writing skills........

goodbudy said:
hey ..guys , anybody know about CAPSS ,, i have exam soon,,, they said it will be pin and paper, ..what i should study..please eamil at sono_toronto@yahoo.com..thanx for help :mad:

Nothing like a drive by posting.........

Date Registered: Yesterday at 23:41:46
Last Active: Today at 00:03:11

Buy "the little brown handbook", Fourth Canadian Edition, by H. Ramsey Fowler, University of Memphis, published by Pearson Longman, Toronto, ISBN 0-321-15611-0.

Hi everybody,

I hope that you will understand me well because English is my second language.

6 years ago, I postulated for pilot in ROTP. Everything went well except for the CAPSS. I had a lot of difficulties and I failed. Since than, I have finished my bachelor degree in mechanical engineering and I want to postulate again for pilot but in DEO. Do I need a private pilot licence to pass again the CAPSS? You seem say (in 2007-2008 posts) that I need one but I spoke to a recruiter and he said no.

I'm a little bit confused. Can you provide me an answer?

Thanks a lot and congratulation for this website, it gives the taste to serve for our country!

Even if I heard that they delete your application folder after 3 years?

Mab163 said:
Even if I heard that they delete your application folder after 3 years?

It is not because you "heard" something that it makes it so.

For those who are in the same situation as me, I asked someone of my family at the National Defense Headquarters, and he confirmed me that : '' a person who have failed CAPSS need to obtain flight skills before being eligible for re-testing''. So in my case, I need a PPL.

Hi,

I am leaving on Sunday for Trenton to do the Aircrew Selection as a pilot. Today I had a session with an instructor on a simulator and I have to say it affected my self-confidence. The instructor had problems starting the simulator and after takeoff and the first turn, the computer froze. On the second try, it did the same thing after 5 minutes.

The reason I am worried is because when I was flying the simulator, I had problems to level the plane and coordinate my actions with the instruments; Sometimes, the attitude kept going up when I was pushing on the wheel and it could take about 2-3 second before it responds properly. I wanted to know if this could be due to the electronics problems of the simulator or I have to expect the same reactions in the CAPSS next week?

Thank you

From what I understand, CAPSS measures your potential to succeed throughout training in all the phases, not how good of a pilot you are (since people going through CAPSS are assumed to have no flight experience). Just make sure you are making constant corrections to the ideal parameters they are looking for. Fifty feet high in altitude? Don't accept the deviation even though its small, correct back in the direction of the ideal constantly (same applies for airspeed and heading). Focus more on this than worrying about whether or not your flying is super accurate.

Keep a good disciplined instrument scan going to ensure you are watching all parameters. Learn from each session so you can be better for the next one! Worked for me... (and for what it's worth, I've tried to fly the sim at flight school before I joined the CF and I was absolutely garbage at it.)

Good luck!

I don't post very often, but I will echo Max's comments follow the instructions to a tee, and you will do fine. I was given lots of advice regarding air crew selection and ultimately I used a light touch on the yoke aka thumbs only and followed the instructions and chair flew after each sessions and passed. Here I am 8 years later living the dream. Good luck !

Thank you very much to both of you, this is the kind of things I needed to hear before leaving! I will do my best to follow every instructions during the CAPSS, and I hope I will also be able to live the dream in 8 years! :)

I was just on the last session that completed and I'll start by saying that it was a really cool experience and you'll learn a lot about yourself regardless of whether you pass or not. Just go in there with an open mind and knowing the fact that it will be challenging, but put 110% into doing everything accurately and focus. There were 14 candidates on this course and only 4 passed CAPSS (29% successful). Two with previous flying experience and two without... so it's true when they say you don't need flying experience to succeed, but you have to be able to learn & adapt quickly and not choke under pressure. That's what will get you through.

The simulator is indeed, very sensitive. Very smooth and light movements is what will prevent you from over/under correcting. It's also very important to know how to react with your yoke/rudders when certain instruments start changing. I cannot stress enough how important it is to know every instrument, what it's telling you and how to correct it with your controls. If you don't understand your instruments or know how to react to them, it will be difficult for you. But most of all... relax. You will be nervous, but part of the challenge is being able to do your job while under pressure. Good luck to everyone heading to CFASC!

Back