• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's federal public servants afraid to speak truth to power: study

Agreed, but there are some concepts that cannot be dumbed down.

As much as technical SMEs need to learn effective communication, I would also say people put in charge of projects of a technical nature should know more than "Blinky lights help us kill more people more better..."

Just to be clear.... I would totally sign off on anything where the briefer used that phrase, seriously ;)

Read Edward Tufte on the cognitive issues with PowerPoint.

But I have been part of multiple TB submissions. Effective engagements at multiple levels with SME input should be common.

Yup. If the Ex.Dir working for the respective file’s Asst Scy isn’t tied in with the PD AND PM, then things likely won’t go well once the précis and submission makes it to the Board.

A recurring problem, though, is technical experts incapable of effective communication. If you cannot effectively communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences, you shouldn't be a project lead.

Indeed. If the PD and/or PM aren’t effective communicators, there are going to be some issues with what TBS takes from the Dept.

Agreed, but there are some concepts that cannot be dumbed down.

As much as technical SMEs need to learn effective communication, I would also say people put in charge of projects of a technical nature should know more than "Blinky lights help us kill more people more better..."
Optimal, for sure. Being able to go from ABC (accurate, brief and clear) to convincing “they really know their stuff” is always a benefit to a major capital project making its way through the TB gauntlet.

Back