• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada to Spend $5.0Bil on AEW Aircraft

I’m surprised that you’re surprised.

(Yes I know that you’re not surprised)

Again, one of the larger US bases (e.g. Fort Cavazos) is essentially half of the entire CAF personnel.
Heck most of the Army bases here have more troops than the entire CA, the big Joint bases are bigger than the CAF (at least regular force)

Heck most of the Army bases here have more troops than the entire CA, the big Joint bases are bigger than the CAF (at least regular force)
I remember seeing a courthouse on a base. I thought that was different.

I didn't really mean to start a debate about Bases and railways - it was more of a rhetorical question. I know nothing about military transportation and logistics, but it strikes me that when you have to move a lot of stuff, heavy stuff, or a lot of heavy stuff, in a halfways expeditious manner, doing it in ones-and-twos on truck or in an aircraft strikes me as a tad inefficient. I also don't know where lots of big heavy things are. Also, the concept of 'nearby' may have it's own limitations. Beyond the presence of loading facilities for 'big heavy things' and the quality (weight limitations) of a local line, having to schlepp something onto a truck only to off-load it to reload it onto rail seems rather inefficient.

Maybe it's not that big an issue.

I didn't really mean to start a debate about Bases and railways - it was more of a rhetorical question. I know nothing about military transportation and logistics, but it strikes me that when you have to move a lot of stuff, heavy stuff, or a lot of heavy stuff, in a halfways expeditious manner, doing it in ones-and-twos on truck or in an aircraft strikes me as a tad inefficient. I also don't know where lots of big heavy things are. Also, the concept of 'nearby' may have it's own limitations. Beyond the presence of loading facilities for 'big heavy things' and the quality (weight limitations) of a local line, having to schlepp something onto a truck only to off-load it to reload it onto rail seems rather inefficient.

Considering where our heavy equipment is located and the places that it will probably be deployed, I would agree with you that rail is the most practical. It is a long way from the prairies to a suitable wharf. Building a loading platform and laying a short spur line to service it seems like a no-brainer especially in this day and age energy conservation. If you are only going to move one Leopard than by all means use a truck but when you have to deploy an entire regiment that is a different scenario.

It really isn't that big of an issue. I have been involved in both on base and local to base rail loads and while there was bit more coord needed with the local to base, the advantage that you get with local to base is often they are set up much better infrastructure wise. Plus, the rail loading expertise and equipment if required is right there.

Ammunition storage and living accommodations do not mix well.
What do not mix well are ammunition, especially modern munitions, and radio devices that do not meet national standards ... which, now and again, almost* include radio devices procured (without proper approval) by military agencies at the request off some senior officers.

---
* Almost because, in my (admittedly outdated) experience a senior NCO always blows the whistle.

Back