• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

observor 69

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Canada to send troops to Latvia for new NATO brigade

The Trudeau government has decided it will send troops to join a NATO high-readiness brigade preparing to deploy in Eastern Europe.

Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan and Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion issued a joint statement today saying Canada will take up a leadership role and establish one of the battle group formations requested by the alliance.

"As a responsible partner in the world, Canada stands side by side with its NATO allies working to deter aggression and assure peace and stability in Europe," Sajjan said in a statement.

"I am tremendously proud that we are taking a leadership role as a NATO framework nation. I know our men and women in uniform will represent the best that Canada has to offer."

The official announcement comes just one day after U.S. President Barack Obama challenged Canada to do more to support the military alliance.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/nato-canadian-troops-baltics-1.3659814

This should help relieve some of the complaints of boredom from the troops.  >:D

I think POTUS probably poked JT in the chest with the 50 cal finger......

Hamish Seggie said:
"Listen Justin, either you put out, or our bromance is over."  [;)

And the fine tradition of announcing news right before a long weekend continues! It's good to see continuity in policy between governments.

Enjoy your tours in Latvia, everyone. And if anyone needs an officer to command the R&R centre in Riga, I'm only a CFTPO away!

Baden Guy said:
This should help relieve some of the complaints of boredom from the troops.  >:D
Like those calling for peacekeeping in Africa, be careful what you wish for ...
Ostrozac said:
And the fine tradition of announcing news right before a long weekend continues! It's good to see continuity in policy between governments.
It's actually a bit early in the day for a Friday ann't  ;D  Still nothing from the Info-machine as of this post ...

P.S. - I'm moving the thread to give it a bit more visibility as the story breaks and develops.  Staff

Ostrozac said:
When Friday is a Stat Holiday, Thursday is the new Friday!
True dat!
milnews.ca said:
Still nothing from the Info-machine as of this post ...
I lied ...
Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan and Foreign Affairs Minister Stéphane Dion today announced that Canada will take on a leadership role within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) to support the Alliance’s strengthened deterrence and defence posture in Eastern and Central Europe.

As one of four Framework Nations Canada will establish and lead a rotational multinational NATO battlegroup which will contribute to NATO’s enhanced Forward Presence in Eastern and Central Europe along with the United States, the United Kingdom and Germany.

Additional details of the Canadian Armed Forces’ contribution will be announced at the upcoming NATO Summit, which will take place in Warsaw, Poland, on 8-9 July 2016.

Quotes

“As a responsible partner in the world, Canada stands side by side with its NATO Allies working to deter aggression and assure peace and stability in Europe. I am tremendously proud that we are taking a leadership role as a NATO Framework Nation. I know our men and women in uniform will represent the best that Canada has to offer.”
    Harjit S. Sajjan, Defence Minister

“Canada is stepping up and playing a leadership role in NATO in support of Euro-Atlantic peace and security. The Alliance remains a cornerstone of our collective defence and our commitment to a rules-based multilateral order.”
    Stéphane Dion, Minister of Foreign Affairs

Attachments

• Canada assumes leading role for NATO's enhanced presence in Eastern and Central Europe - Canad...pdf
    64.2 KB · Views: 299
Sounds like marching in place......

Baden Guy said:
"As a responsible partner in the world, Canada stands side by side with its NATO allies working to deter aggression and assure peace and stability in Europe," Sajjan said in a statement.  :blah:

"I am tremendously proud that we are taking a leadership role as a NATO framework nation. I know our men and women in uniform will represent the best that Canada has to offer."

From the article in the quote...

It would require the army to rotate one of its infantry battalions and a headquarters — perhaps as many as 500 troops — into the position once every six months

But...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//news/national/canada-expected-to-send-troops-to-latvia-to-deter-russia/article30699088/?cmpid=rss1&click=sf_globefb

Sources say the federal cabinet has authorized Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan ‎to provide up to a battalion of Canadian troops, which is about 1,000 soldiers.

At least that article was corrected some...earlier in the day, according to it, Canada had 9 infantry divisions.

:facepalm:

Maybe LAV's, No artillery, no mortars, no boots, no HMG, no ATGM's, no mines and by the way meet the peer army you will be facing off.....

"If you couldn't get enough of MAPLE RESOLVE, does MND have a deal for you! 6 whole months of MAPLE RESOLVE! Now with foreign service pay to boost you into the next tax bracket!"

Colin P said:
Maybe LAV's, No artillery, no mortars, no boots, no HMG, no ATGM's, no mines and by the way meet the peer army you will be facing off.....

Peer army?  Ha!  The odds aren't even close to being a "peer vs peer" fight - and sadly, I'm saying that in favour of our Russian friends.

Hamish Seggie said:

That briefs well and confirms plenty of biases, but I believe that the decision was made some time ago, but that release was meant to coincide with the NATO Conf......

PuckChaser said:
"If you couldn't get enough of MAPLE RESOLVE, does MND have a deal for you! 6 whole months of MAPLE RESOLVE! Now with foreign service pay to boost you into the next tax bracket!"

You'd still make more money.

PuckChaser said:

To be fair, I'd suspect the Latvian bars are more happenin' than Wainwright  :nod:

CBH99 said:
Peer army?  Ha!  The odds aren't even close to being a "peer vs peer" fight - and sadly, I'm saying that in favour of our Russian friends.

oh yea trucks, but hey the Germans have a good train system.....

Dimsum said:
To be fair, I'd suspect the Latvian bars are more happenin' than Wainwright  :nod:
Until some asshat gets drunk and punches someone out, confining everyone to base with a no alcohol policy.

Back