• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

Right. That’s in addition to all the leaks from the wet sponge known as Carling.

"All of the equipment will be deployed with the Canadian-led NATO brigade in Latvia and the purchases — when they arrive — will complete the Liberal government's pledge to close major equipment gaps for troops in the field, whose mission is to deter potential Russian aggression in the Baltic states."

Do the "troops in the field" agree?

What about the rest of the CA? Nothing. Thus reinforcements/additions to a theatre will be not trained on these new items nor have them.
More then likely will receive training when they rotate in country for their major exercises.

"All of the equipment will be deployed with the Canadian-led NATO brigade in Latvia and the purchases — when they arrive — will complete the Liberal government's pledge to close major equipment gaps for troops in the field, whose mission is to deter potential Russian aggression in the Baltic states."

Do the "troops in the field" agree?
I think that bit about “complete the Liberal … pledge” is the media adding commentary unless the MND actually said that.

I was actually wondering where the whole quote came from. I didn't notice it in the release.

🍻
I lifted it from the Murray Brewster article that was linked. He doesn't attribute it to anyone else.

I lifted it from the Murray Brewster article that was linked. He doesn't attribute it to anyone else.
I don't like the implications behind the original comment. Perhaps I am just being cynical but I picture the GOC as writing the cheques to pay for the infrastructure mentioned and then walking away dusting off their hands saying; "there, that should satisfy the armed forces crowd for another 10 years so we can get back to the things that matter". Sad

Rewinding a bit to the PAXM/ Spike UOR

2017 Germany bought 1000 missiles with 97 launchers and training integration for 172M USD. The training represented ~13% of the total.

Rough numbers- 25% cumulative inflation, 10% of our total into training = (172 * .87 * 1.25) / 30 = 6.23. 97 /6 = 16 launchers 1000/6 = ~165 missiles

Best case
1 per inf platoon as anti-armour weapon
X3 for eFP BG Lav coy
X9 for flyover LIB
= 12
4-6 per Bn AT Platoon
X1 for eFP CS Coy
X1 for flyover LIB CS coy
=8-12

One per vehicle? One per troop? For the cav/recce squadron?
= 4-16

So 24-40 launchers to outfit the Latvia force.

Fewer missiles per laumcher to get where we needed to be, or someone is doing without/ with TOW?

Some more info on the Leonardo system:

Leonardo to equip Canadian Armed Force with counter-drone technology

Leonardo Press Release | February 28, 2024
Leonardo has been awarded a contract by Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) to provide its Falcon Shield C-UAS system for operation by the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).

The company will provide a number of systems and a 10-year sustainment package that includes options for additional equipment and the spiral development of new capabilities.

First systems will be delivered later this year to the CAF, which will immediately deploy Falcon Shield to forward operating bases to protect deployed personnel.
Falcon Shield is the UK’s operationally proven solution to the growing threat from group 1 to 3 (smaller, slower, and lower flying) UAS, which are usually undetectable by conventional air surveillance equipment. Using a mix of advanced sensors from Leonardo and industry partners, the system rapidly detects, tracks, and prioritizes threats and gives operators the means to neutralize them effectively.

Produced at Basildon and Southampton sites, Falcon Shield is in service with the UK’s Armed Forces, is trusted by close allies on operations, and is readily available for export customers worldwide. Leonardo continues to update Falcon Shield to ensure it remains cutting-edge in a rapidly evolving security landscape.

For its UK Royal Air Force (RAF) customer, Leonardo has delivered seven complete baseline counter-drone systems (called ORCUS in RAF service) for the service’s ‘Synergia’ research and development programme. The RAF is also employing these systems as a national standby capability in support of the Emergency Services. In this role, the RAF has operated Leonardo counter-UAS technology during high-profile events including the 2021 G7 summit in Cornwall and Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth games. During Christmas 2018, Falcon Shield was deployed at both London Gatwick and Heathrow airports following suspected drone sightings, allowing air operations to resume.
Leonardo has also been working with the United States Armed Forces as part of the ongoing collaboration between the UK and US on counter-drone research and development. Under this partnership, the company has integrated the US Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL)’s NINJA technology into the RAF ORCUS system and demonstrated its ability to detect dozens of small drone platforms in the airspace around airbases and then mitigate them.

Leonardo will be operating Falcon Shield at Canada’s ‘Counter Uncrewed Aerial Systems Sandbox 2024’ exercise, being held in Suffield, Alta., in June, where it will counter drones flown by the CAF’s “red team” operators.

This press release was prepared and distributed by Leonardo.

Link

Leonardo to equip Canadian Armed Force with counter-drone technology
Canadian Armed Forces or just what is deployed in Latvia? I think I know the answer.

Back